Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 18th, 2024, 2:41pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A Ramblin' Thread... (Read 5263 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

A Ramblin' Thread...
May 2nd, 2014, 10:36am

Thought I'd start a thread documenting our experiences with the Terratrike Rambler that I just purchased for Terrie...  read along, or comment/suggest.  It can serve as an info source for those considering such a machine.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: A Ramblin' Thread...
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2014, 10:41am

Realize that I purchased the Rambler26 for Terrie because of the higher (and adjustable recline) seat being easier for enter/exit for her, and she really doesn't like much recline...    And yes, I know "physics works," and the higher seat position is more sensitive to tipping it.      Smiley  Tradeoffs...   but the plan is for her to ride the Rambler, and for me to cruise alongside on the Rocket. ...  and it fits into a Prius, if you recline the seat fully (or pull the seat supports out and go further.

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2014, 10:43am

Last night, I swapped out the (badly worn) tires on the Rambler...  and got a minor brainstorm while pulling the 26" rear wheel -- and put the 650 Spinergy on, instead...  Cheesy    

So, I took the "650" Rambler out for a spin around the neighborhood...  

It's an interesting beast to get used to, compared to the XStream and Rocket, or even what I remember about Ken's Catrike Road -- pretty cool, and the 22/34/44 triple will allow her to climb anything in the area, without having to deal with balance at 1mph....   but the direct steering "twitchiness" will take a bit of getting used to above 12-13 mph -- and you can DEFINITELY lift a wheel in a turn. However, the seatback is such that you have the ability to lean into the turn somewhat, which helps. If I get it up to 18-20mph or more, I know I'd better not swerve (or do a significant turn) at that speed, either!  

...and I'm going to have to (attempt to) drill this into her head, while we're out riding together on our separate machines, and definitely do some practicing with her to "teach" her how to lean into turns, yet keep a light touch on the steering.  However, the relative lightness of the Spinergy does make it easy to accelerate back up to 12-15mph after a stop, which was my underlying reason for the switchout.

I may actually retrofit back to the 20" rear wheel, to drop the CG a little... I think she's going to like it a lot, but I'm definitely going to have to "school" her in the physics of tipping....  considering that my reason for getting the trike was to potentially avoid her going down on the two-wheeled Rocket, tipping would be a bad thing...

Interesting side note -- there's very LITTLE "brake steer" on this machine -- squeezing one brake really doesn't cause a swerve at all, which is a good thing...

Tradeoffs, tradeoffs....  we'll see what develops!  My longterm hope is that she'll enjoy it a lot, and will get more and more used to more and more recline, and eventually upgrade to another that rides lower with more stability.  But we'll see -- a Cat700 is definitely not in her future (although you can even tip THOSE)...

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2014, 10:55am

Another design note on the Rambler -- the "crossbow" style of the frame creates a limit as to how close in you can shorten the boom extension -- too close, and you're hitting your heels on the frame crossmember.

So, minimum X-seam is somewhat determined by this fact.  The seat has about 9" or so of back-fwd adjustment range, and the boom has plenty of extension as well, so it fits me fine at 45" x-seam.

Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2014, 3:29pm

If Terrie decided to consider an upgrade, we do have that Expedition for her to try.  Higher than a Speed or 700, but lower than the Rambler by a lot.  Seat is more upright than the Speed or 700 also.  Fixed angle though.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - May 14th, 2014, 3:57pm

The Microshift DS85-8 twist shifters on the Rambler have a distinct, noticeable rattle to them, just rolling down the street... and the front DR shifter has to twist a long way to go from 22T granny to 32T mid ring.   Something tells me that if I were to swap to a SRAM, then the SRAM wouldn't work correctly with the Microshift RD-M45L rear derailleur....  yes?  So I have to change the RD as well.

This is an 8-speed setup -- is there any particular difference between and SRAM X4 and the SRAM "MRX Comp" twist shifter quality?  Or perhaps go with SRAM X7 (or X9?) 9-speed, and just limit the travel?

« Last Edit: May 14th, 2014, 4:00pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - May 14th, 2014, 7:19pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on May 14th, 2014, 3:57pm:
The Microshift DS85-8 twist shifters on the Rambler have a distinct, noticeable rattle to them, just rolling down the street... and the front DR shifter has to twist a long way to go from 22T granny to 32T mid ring.   Something tells me that if I were to swap to a SRAM, then the SRAM wouldn't work correctly with the Microshift RD-M45L rear derailleur....  yes?  So I have to change the RD as well.

This is an 8-speed setup -- is there any particular difference between and SRAM X4 and the SRAM "MRX Comp" twist shifter quality?  Or perhaps go with SRAM X7 (or X9?) 9-speed, and just limit the travel?

Paul, if I recall correctly, the brake handles have brake-locking pushbuttons on them. The buttons are loose fits in the handles and rattle. Are you sure it's the shifters that are rattling, and not the brake handle pushbuttons?

The Microshift RD is Shimano compatible (2:1 ratio). X7 and X9 twist shifters are 1:1 ratio shifters, and wouldn't work with the Microshift RD.

SRAM doesn't currently manufacture a X4 twist shifter. Current Shimamo-compatible SRAM shifters are: MRX Pro, Centera, and Attack. Attack shifters are the highest quality.    

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - May 16th, 2014, 6:56am

You are correct, Sir -- it's the brake lock pins that are rattling!!!  That'll be an interesting challenge to figure out how to solve...   stronger spring, perhaps.

Also had a first-time event happen -- I pumped up the rear tire (Presta valve), and when I removed the pump head, the "open/close" knob and core pin came out of the valve, as well -- instant flat!  The locking knob was inside the pump head, and the core had disappeared, flying away...   Anyone else had this happen, and what's the cause???

Changed out the tube, obviously...

LightningPilot

Reply #8 - May 16th, 2014, 8:27am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on May 16th, 2014, 6:56am:
You are correct, Sir -- it's the brake lock pins that are rattling!!!  That'll be an interesting challenge to figure out how to solve...   stronger spring, perhaps.

Also had a first-time event happen -- I pumped up the rear tire (Presta valve), and when I removed the pump head, the "open/close" knob and core pin came out of the valve, as well -- instant flat!  The locking knob was inside the pump head, and the core had disappeared, flying away...   Anyone else had this happen, and what's the cause???

Changed out the tube, obviously...

Huh, might be a good idea to save a few from bad tubes. Contis have cores. I've always carried cores and a tool for my cars.

Carolyn Trimble
2001 Lightning P38
2005 Lightning P38
2000 Litespeed Ultimate
1988 Hujsak Century
  IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - May 16th, 2014, 9:52am

removable core?  my Schwalbe tubes have cores that unscrew to remove - not real excited about that "feature"

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - May 21st, 2014, 2:54pm

Partially because of the ~20mph south winds yesterday, I decided to take the Rambler out myself on the GDB Mesquite route Tuesday ride...  Wanting a slightly lower center of gravity, I swapped out the 650 Spinergy rear wheel for a 20" instead, with a Marathon Racer tire.  I also wasn't sure about subjecting the Spinergy to the lateral forces a trike can generate in a turn... Moving the seat back 4" made it fit my x-seam, no problem, and I reclined the seat one more pinhole (about 1" on the strut).

We rolled at 14-16 for the first couple miles, then on the Barnes Bridge downhill, I let it coast, hitting about 28...  at these speeds, direct steering is VERY touchy!!!!  I really had to concentrate on NOT doing anything with the steering grips, because the slightest effort would cause some swerve...  on the other hand, brake steer is practically nonexistent, which is a good thing...   Interestingly enough, Dave R was out there on his RANS Trizard, and that machine REALLY rolls downhill nicely -- much faster than the Rambler.  This is partially aerodynamic profile, but also probably better wheels/hubs and overall weight.

On the other hand, the trike climbs very nicely, in part due to the 153mm cranks...  I think Mark Stonich is on to something -- he told me anecdotal stories of people climbing better (even on DFs) with short cranks.  I was able to spin up most of the hills on the ride with no problem, and held 13-14 mph all the way up the long "water plant" hill before Tripp Rd.

After a while, I noticed that the front part of the seat fabric was pressing the backs of my thighs -- given the relatively low BB position of this machine, I moved the seat recline UP one pinhole, which helped that problem (but worsened the aero).  Riding down Lawson Rd. into the headwinds, it was difficult to hold 14-15 mph.  Normally, not into a headwind, I could roll at 16-18+ without excessive effort, and with the 44T "big ring" and 20" rear wheel, spinout was around 23-24mph.

We got in 25 miles for the evening.  Overall, the Rambler was very comfortable and fun, although again, I really had to watch my steering input to avoid swerving at speeds above 15ish.  I would not (personally) ride this at a crowded rally like HHH -- I'd be a hazard to those around me...

On a side note, I successfully resisted the temptation to unclip at stops...   Cheesy  and didn't have any instances of almost tipping...

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #11 - May 27th, 2014, 12:50pm

Terrie put in about 10 miles yesterday, and rode the 190 service road, attempting the somewhat-long climb up from the lake turnaround, as well as the additional hills up past the high school...

This is about a 1/3 mile 2% grade -- not an easy section for someone not used to climbing...  She started in the 22T granny / 11 combo, and she was able to do the climb pretty well, downshifting to keep her RPMs up, and still having three or four gears left in the back by the time she reached the top.  There were a couple other similar-grade climbs (but shorter) on our way northbound, and while it tired her out, she was able to do them...  Got in 10 miles, before the rains resumed.

Step by step...  It's really kind of interesting, that Terrie can do 20, 30, 40 mile rides on the Seavo, but riding solo on the Rambler is a lot more exertion, obviously, since she's having to "work up" to rides of 10 miles or slightly more.

Another interesting note -- I was riding alongside on the Rocket, and the Rambler outcoasts the Rocket on a downhill, despite me and the Rocket weighing more...  Must be that rear Spinergy wheel!!!   Cheesy

testersbc

rbent member

Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2014, 8:23pm

i have a rambler and the more I read the more I am thinking about getting something else.  the bike is just great for exercise. I put in 10 miles yesterday up to Erwin park and back to my house.  but the rambler wasn't built for speed.  I can keep a good 12 mph pace on it.  it is easier to get in and out of it which I like.  my wife has a catrike speed which I have a hard time getting out of. but I do like her catrike.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Jun 10th, 2014, 10:08pm

Quote from testersbc on Jun 10th, 2014, 8:23pm:
i have a rambler and the more I read the more I am thinking about getting something else.  the bike is just great for exercise. I put in 10 miles yesterday up to Erwin park and back to my house.  but the rambler wasn't built for speed.  I can keep a good 12 mph pace on it.  it is easier to get in and out of it which I like.  my wife has a catrike speed which I have a hard time getting out of. but I do like her catrike.

Have you checked RBM, lately? There might be a 700 on their floor that has your name on it.   Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #14 - Jun 11th, 2014, 12:03pm

Ease of getting in and out, and the ability to adjust the recline, were two main priorities in my decision to get the Rambler...,  Having had it for a month now, I would agree that it's not the best trike for 15+mph riding, but is perfectly fine for slower riding -- so having the 26" rear wheel option is pretty much overkill.  The relatively low BB position and higher seat both obviously affect aerodynamics, but again, this isn't a speed machine.

The other aspect of this trike is that, with her ~40" x-seam, we've got the seat clamp fully forward, which just fits -- because you can only move the boom in close enough such that you don't get any hitting of your heel on the frame crossmember.  Having both the seat and boom adjustable is nice, but there are still limits.

Terrie is enjoying it, which was the main concern -- it's comfortable, responsive (perhaps too much so), with a tight turn radius.  If she gets to the point of accepting more recline and having a lower seat, I could see us possibly upgrading next year -- but we'll have to see then.  Right now, she's still getting re-used to the idea of being your own power source, and rediscovering when to shift to what gears.

I'm glad I put the 153mm 24/34/44 crankset on it, it's working well for her.  I'm going to keep the Spinergy 650 on the back, for somewhat easier acceleration and lower rolling resistance.  darned thing outcoasts me on the Rocket, on a downhill!

« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2014, 12:06pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print