Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 19th, 2024, 6:05am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Google Group for 2015 HOT (Read 1910 times)
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Google Group for 2015 HOT
Reply #15 - Apr 14th, 2014, 1:07pm

Mike is the one who makes the final decision on dates for the HOT. Because of competition from South by Southwest, the MS150, and the Catrike Rally it has been very difficult for them to find acceptable dates. SXSW, drives hotel room prices WAY up, plus makes available rooms as scarce as hen's teeth for  2 - 3 weeks during the month of March.  Since Mike is  Catrike dealer, they take a dim view of him offering a competing event to their own rally. Scheduling it in late spring puts it into the thunderstorm and too hot temperature range. I'm with you, Jay, in that I'd love to see the event a little later. HOT has actually dodged bullets the last TWO years but I know that Mike and Jane have tried to accommodate everyone as best they can.

IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #16 - Apr 14th, 2014, 1:24pm

A lot of communication is lost in text.  Sarcasm and jokes are hard to read sometimes, especially when people communicating in this forum don't know each other personally.  At any rate, I like HOT updates.  Smiley  I also agree that the Texas weather in Feb is a bit of a crap shoot, but it's also very difficult to find a weekend in the spring with no other organized ride conflicts or other event conflicts in Austin specifically.  You can't make all the people happy all the time!  If people want more event not in Austin, we shouldn't rely on Jane alone to plan them all over god's green earth, and by that I mean Texas.  Wink

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2014, 6:19pm by shellbear »  

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #17 - Apr 14th, 2014, 1:27pm

Quote from Patti on Apr 14th, 2014, 1:07pm:
Mike is the one who makes the final decision on dates for the HOT. Because of competition from South by Southwest, the MS150, and the Catrike Rally it has been very difficult for them to find acceptable dates. SXSW, drives hotel room prices WAY up, plus makes available rooms as scarce as hen's teeth for  2 - 3 weeks during the month of March.  Since Mike is  Catrike dealer, they take a dim view of him offering a competing event to their own rally. Scheduling it in late spring puts it into the thunderstorm and too hot temperature range. I'm with you, Jay, in that I'd love to see the event a little later. HOT has actually dodged bullets the last TWO years but I know that Mike and Jane have tried to accommodate everyone as best they can.

Mike was a Catrike dealer when he held events during warm weather, prior to the inception of HOT. What would be wrong with late April or in May, sometime. I've forgotten what dates the 2009 event I attended was held, but I remember it was warm, because we rode around Austin in shorts and short-sleeve jerseys. Just my two cents.

Email   IP Logged
texpug
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #18 - Apr 14th, 2014, 2:51pm

A little trip down memory lame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVRQznYAr7U

This is the video from the first Heart of Texas CATRIKE Rally back in 2010. It was held in mid April. We had rain. Still a blast though.  

March is out of the equation.  Smiley Just no way to do it in March. Patti explains it all perfectly.

We had the first HOT Rally that was for EVERYONE on a recumbent in 2012 - in conflict with the Catrike Rally and Factory Tour the first weekend in March. Bryan Ball BEGGED us to have future HOTs the last weekend in February. I said too early. He brought out a point that made a LOT of sense: What difference is 7 days going to make?  

The 2011 Rally was held in April. It was pretty miserable. Pollen so bad, I could not even ride. Had to stay on a steady diet of Zyrtek to get through the weekend (to this day, I still am grateful to Shelley Stracener for having some on hand!). April is an extremely busy time at Easy Street, and Mike cannot participate in the HOT if we have it then. And since he writes the checks, he deserves to participate in it. April and May are extremely busy times for most everybody. Graduations, awards, other school conflicts, kid's sports leagues, people broke from taxes   Smiley.  

So we will just say prayers and do whatever else is known to man to try and have good weather the last weekend in February. I am always trying to think of a Plan B for it we have bad weather that weekend! It's a gamble if you attend the HOT just to pedal. If you attend the HOT to hang out in a recumbent culture and have a blast with other Bent people, it's a given it is going to be fun!  

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2014, 3:02pm by texpug »  

Catrike 700
Catrike Speed
Terra Trike Tandem Pro IPS
  IP Logged
TexasTwo

rbent member

Reply #19 - Apr 14th, 2014, 4:34pm

I for one, am gonna attend the HOT in 2015.  We picked up our trikes the day before the 2014 HOT.  If the weather is iffy, that ought to make it more interesting, and we'll just stay toasty inside our camper. A road trip in Feb.......... works for me.  
After all, it could be held in Feb in Maine, which is just all green & white and the setting of Steven King novels. Not a time or place for me.  
So keep us posted or directed to the proper links.
And, if you wanna plan rebent trike rides around the state; You go Girl!

darn, getting healthy is gonna kill me

Terra Trike Rambler Basic
Terra Trike Rambler Elite
Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #20 - Apr 14th, 2014, 5:24pm

Quote from jayg on Apr 14th, 2014, 1:27pm:
Mike was a Catrike dealer when he held events during warm weather, prior to the inception of HOT. What would be wrong with late April or in May, sometime. I've forgotten what dates the 2009 event I attended was held, but I remember it was warm, because we rode around Austin in shorts and short-sleeve jerseys. Just my two cents.

Very true, but Mike's old "Bent Event" was always just a one day affair, with everything centered on the shop. He'd pick an open weekend a few weeks in advance and set it up for that date.  Many folks just drove down for the day. In fact  that first year, as a Catrike Rally, it was only officially a one day event with Mike's Bent Event scheduled the next day. That first year also overlapped the MS150 and there were complaints because folks wanted to do both. The last couple of years, as the Rally has become a full all-weekend event with all the associated activities (and complications) added, the choice of dates has become that much more difficult. Late April would be really nice but if Mike says he is too busy with the shop to host the Rally at that time, what do you do?

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #21 - Apr 14th, 2014, 5:58pm

And he takes off with his tail between his legs.  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #22 - Apr 14th, 2014, 6:36pm

I never said the hot want worthwhile.  I'd attend if it didn't always fall on an inconvenient weekend.  Rallies can be fun.  That's why I always try to host a mini one here every so often.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
texpug
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #23 - Apr 14th, 2014, 6:47pm

Follow the HOT at these places:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/heart-of-texas-recumbent-rall
y-and-rodeo-2015

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heart-of-Texas-Recumbent-Rally-and-Rodeo-2015/638 988702832958

When I can get everything in order, you can follow it at: www.easystreetrecumbents.com. But that is going to be later in the summer.

I am trying to figure out Wordpress and start a blog for the HOT. Will be pretty uneventful, but I suspect entertaining Smiley Will do more "explaining" (defending?) about plans in the blog.

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2014, 7:03pm by texpug »  

Catrike 700
Catrike Speed
Terra Trike Tandem Pro IPS
  IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #24 - Apr 15th, 2014, 10:56am

Quote from jayg on Apr 14th, 2014, 5:58pm:
And he takes off with his tail between his legs.  Cheesy