Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 15th, 2024, 1:27pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tail Sock (Read 2483 times)
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Tail Sock
Jan 29th, 2014, 9:10pm

After dithering about colors and designs, I finally ordered a tail sock from Melanie Vizzusi at Free Form Fashions (fffashions@hotmail.com   (831) 429-5044). Melanie is great to work with, and the sock is top notch. In theory, the tail sock is supposed to make you faster by reducing the drag caused by the wake turbulence behind your seat. I haven't gone on a test ride to find out yet, but I will this weekend. I've got the sock mounted on the bike, using the tail sock frame I bought from Terra Cycle. As hard to believe as it seems, I think I have found a way to make a Dinotte 400R tail light even more conspicuous. The first pic attached below is a flash pic with my little tail light on steady. The next two are with the Dinotte strobing.  

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Tail Sock
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2014, 10:04pm

Mike, how does Melanie manufacture such a well-fitting custom sock without having the bike and sock supporting frame in her possession?

Email   IP Logged
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2014, 10:33pm

[Mike, how does Melanie manufacture such a well-fitting custom sock without having the bike and sock supporting frame in her possession?]

She made patterns for the V2 and the Easy Racers Gold Rush Replica, she mentions those on the web site. I'km guessing she has some other patterns as well....otherwise you have to give her your bike for a few days to custom fit a sock.

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2014, 9:42am

Wonder if that sock would turn bike into a kite on a day like today...my fairing becomes a sail

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2014, 7:01pm

I was at white rock today, and had my full Capt. America sock on, wind up to 30mph out of the south. It was hard going south, fun going north and very interesting going east or west!!! Smiley

IP Logged
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Re: Tail Sock and Bike Sock
Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2014, 10:26pm

Blanket bikes are awesome!  Smiley
Melanie made a body sock for me also. I initially had a little trouble with my fairing - the added tension from the body sock flexed the fairing back just enough that my toes grazed it on every pedal stroke. I finally figured out the changes needed on the fairing, now its all good. I like the bodysock - it certainly adds a lot of speed - 26 mph sprints for me, and I can easily sustain 15 mph. That's a pretty remarkable improvement for me.

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2014, 9:00am

Great-looking sock, Mike.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1