Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 15th, 2024, 1:30pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
700 wheel (Read 1225 times)
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

700 wheel
Feb 19th, 2014, 12:52pm

I discovered a hole through the casing in the tread of my front tire on the trike, so I dragged it inside to ready it for the H.O.T. this weekend.  After putting on my last Kojak, I decided to replace the rear tire as well.  Last year I won a set of tires for any of my cycles, so I got the Kojaks and a Marathon Supreme, 28-622, for the rear, as that was what I was running.  Mike had to order them, and a month later he called me and said he was sending two of them to me.  I thanked him and said I only needed one, but he insisted on sending me two, and didn't seem to be listening to my explanation for only wanting one.  Well, my original now has almost 7,000 miles on it, and is still good, but I have two unused ones, and I don't want them to get moldy!  So, I put a new one on the back.  Mark, I'll bring the old one tomorrow, so you can try it out and see if the ride on your new 700 is improved.

That gave me a chance to spec the rear wheel on my 700.  On the new 700 they put Velocity 28 spoke rims and a SRAM 11/34 or 36 cassette.  Mine is a nameless, non-welded rim, 32 spoke, on a 105 hub, with what looks like a rather robust LX 11/32 cassette.  With skewer, the whole thing weighs about 1510 grams.  Allowing for the skewer and cassette, that's around an 1100 gram wheel.  The tire adds 310 grams and a standard tube about 90.  A good aero wheel with an expensive cassette would take off maybe 300 grams, or about two-thirds of a pound.  A racing tire, another 100 grams.  That's nice, but it doesn't get a 700 under 30 pounds!  This exercise is for all you weight wienies out there.   Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: 700 wheel
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2014, 8:08pm

Can you say short crank and weight weenie in the same sentence?

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2014, 8:35pm

Quote from johnnybent on Feb 19th, 2014, 8:08pm:
Can you say short crank and weight weenie in the same sentence?

Hey, knock it off.   Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2014, 9:59am

Bob, if you measure the diameter from center of axle to the outside of the tire, what's that distance????  I'm wondering if a 700 will fit on the Rocket back...

PB

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2014, 6:52pm

Paul, it calculates out to just under 13.5 inches.  A quick measurement seems to verify that.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print