Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 14th, 2024, 1:28pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
XStream Bottom Bracket Issue (Read 1333 times)
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

XStream Bottom Bracket Issue
Jul 27th, 2013, 5:33pm

Last year in July, the bottom bracket on my Xstream started getting noisy and loose. It had about 1000 miles on it. The bike shop replaced the bearings, said they didn't know what would have caused the failure. At the time I chalked it up to bad luck - maybe they were bad from the factory, maybe they were damaged during install. Now I'm pretty sure there must be a cause of some kind, because they squeak badly again, especially under load. The bike only has 2380 miles on it, so there's something going on. Are these things sealed cartridge bearings, or do they need to be lubed and adjusted periodically? If it isn't poor maintenance and it isn't the bearings, there must be something slightly out of kilter with the housing. Would a local bike shop like Colonels be able to face the ends of the bottom bracket and true up the bores, or is it more involved than that? Please let the opinions flow, I'm kinda at a loss here.

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Re: XStream Bottom Bracket Issue
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2013, 5:54pm

Don't know about Colonel's but I'm confident Bonzai Cycle Werx can do the job, they are located at 35W and Heritage Trace on the north end of town.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2013, 6:51pm

I guess I'm lucky on mine but I've never had a problem with any bike I've owned.  Anyway I have apx. 15 grand on my Xstream and I have replaced the chain, cassette and rings. The bottom bracket is still smooth.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2013, 12:52pm

Likewise, no issues with the BB on either of my Xstreams....   If John Paulus were in town, I'd say take it to Lancaster, but he's in Colorado for the summer...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2013, 9:51pm

The Bike Whisperer (aka JayG) told me to check my chain ring bolts...two of them were a little bit loose, and that was the source of the squeaking. They weren't loose loose, they just weren't super tight. So let that be a reminder to my fellow engineers....sometimes problems are simple, so don't be so quick to look for complicated answers!

Thanks Jay, I owe you a root beer float!  Smiley

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2013, 10:14pm

Quote from Tiger_Mike on Jul 30th, 2013, 9:51pm:
The Bike Whisperer (aka JayG) told me to check my chain ring bolts...two of them were a little bit loose, and that was the source of the squeaking. They weren't loose loose, they just weren't super tight. So let that be a reminder to my fellow engineers....sometimes problems are simple, so don't be so quick to look for complicated answers!

You're welcome, Mike. Root beer floats are my favorite. That homemade ice cream at the Lancaster Air Show is a close second.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2013, 8:38am

Quote from Tiger_Mike on Jul 30th, 2013, 9:51pm:

When they get a little more loose and all but one fall out from rough chip seal when you are Meunster, it will sound like someone hitting a fence post with a sledge hammer.  And your small chaingring will look like it is bent while it flops around.   Dont' ask me how I know.   Smiley

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2013, 9:04pm

The bottom bracket cratered on my Xstream within a week after I bought it from Greg. I run q-rings, so i'm used to seeing the chainrings bob up and down. Watching them move side to side is very disconcerting, though.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print