Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 29th, 2024, 1:32am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2013 GASP Ride Report (Read 977 times)
dhansen

rbent member

2013 GASP Ride Report
May 5th, 2013, 5:08am

GASP - Greater Austin to Shiner Peddle - Ride Report

What a beautiful day for a ride! Most of the ride was in the 60s and 70s and towards the end there was a light headwind. Clear skies and always great riding company.

This was my third GASP ride and by far my most favorite. My prior two times took an extreme toll on my body such that at the end of the ride I had a hard time functioning. This was my fourth 100 miler ride this year and the conditioning really helped for this year’s GASP ride.

This ride always starts fast and this year was no exception. My plan was to keep my heart rate in the 120 to 130 range and take it easy for a while because I knew there were hills and a headwind for the last 12 miles of the ride. Well I did manage to keep my heart rate low but for some reason my speed was a lot higher than I expected averaging 19.2 for the first hour and 17.2 for the second hour. Even stopping at the 29 mile marker rest stop (liquids out) I still managed to make it to the half way point (50 miles) in just under 3 hours. One more rest stop at mile marker 59 to refill the camelbak and then non-stop for the next 42 miles to the finish.  

101.3 miles, 6 hours 36 minutes elapsed time for an average speed of 15.9 mph finishing at 1:36 pm.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/307849983

A lot of recumbents on this ride. Two Carbents, a Rans V2 with spinergy wheels, Cruzbike Silvio, two trikes (on the 1/2 GASP) and of course my Musashi. Ron Swift finished way ahead of me on his Carbent finishing in 4 hours 36 minutes. The Cruzbike also finished about 20 minutes ahead of me. My bike needs a newer engine. Ron finished neck and neck with Lance Armstrong - see the video: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=364290613671778&set=vb.100002725272699& amp;type=2&theater

I passed a lot of 50 mile riders (1/2 GASP) towards the end of the ride. Man, I remember that was me three years ago when I started riding again - I really admire these folks - your first organized rides give you such a sense of accomplishment!

I wasn’t sure how long the ride was actually going to take so I signed up for the last bus back to Austin at 5:30 pm. Well, because I finished a lot quicker than I expected I was able to just relax, laying in the shade, cheering the riders as they finished and drinking Shiner Bock.

In the middle of the afternoon a man about 4 feet to my left proposed to his girl friend right there at the ride finish! On his knee, engagement ring, the whole works. She says yes! Of course the group on the other side of me had all kinds of witty remarks: “Well you first need to see if she is capable of doing 100 miles before proposing - else back goes the ring to the jewelers.”
This turned out to be one of my favorite rides - will definitely try to do it again next year.

--- by the numbers ---
101.3 miles
6:22 elapsed time
15.9 mph  
3,123 feet climbing
2,983 calories
126 bpm average heart rate
82 rpm average cadence
64.2 degrees average temperature

Next ride -  
May 11
Liberty Hill Armadillo Hill Country Classic
105 miles

Email WWW   IP Logged
jdorlon

rbent member

Re: 2013 GASP Ride Report
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2013, 8:41am

You weren't kidding about your friend Ron being fast.  4:36 - incredible!    He was so modest about it at the start too, I started to believe he wasn't really that fast.  I'm glad I didn't try to keep up with him!

« Last Edit: May 6th, 2013, 8:43am by jdorlon »  

John D.
Cruzbike Vendetta 2.0
Cruzbike Silvio 1.5
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: 2013 GASP Ride Report
Reply #2 - May 6th, 2013, 8:58am

Ron makes it look super easy as well.  My average at the Bessie's Creek ultra was roughly 18.5 mph for six hours with no time off the bike except for peeing.  The laps were 21 miles long and Ron lapped me early in the 4th lap. meaning he was going roughly 23.5-24 mph steady, which he kept up for 12 hours straight.  His wife finished only minutes behind me, my having passed her on the last stretch of the last lap.  

He more than likely could have sprinted and messed with Lance's mind, but didn't.  He'd never be this fast on an upright though - sucker's well over 6'5".

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print