Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 11:21pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2013 DFW MS150 (Read 1217 times)
shellbear

2013 DFW MS150
May 6th, 2013, 10:24am

Well, I guess I can put down another MS150 event in the books!  A total of 152 miles in 2 days.

This year we were blessed to have a cold front come in just a few days before the ride. Although it made for some chilly mornings, the last half of each day was just gorgeous riding weather. Day 1 felt downright easy despite heavy winds out of the northwest because by the time things really picked up I was already headed south to the Texas Motor Speedway. Day 2 was a different story: lower wind chill, lots of hills and chipseal roads, and of course tired legs from the long day before. The lap around the speedway at the beginning of Day 2 is always one of my favorite parts of this ride!!  I braved both days and rolled into the finish with better speed averages than last year!  

Here's a picture of me from the start line on Day 1 (it's about 45 degrees here, brrrrrr).  My yellow #100 denotes that i was in the Top 100 fundraisers last year.

Here's some Strava data from my rides for all you number nerds:
Day 1 - Dr. Pepper Ballpark in Frisco to TMS in Fort Worth
http://www.strava.com/activities/52325207
 Day 2 - TMS loop out and back
http://www.strava.com/activities/52526452

I only saw a handful (maybe 5) recumbents on the course, all bikes (Rans and Bachetta).  Apparently there was also a guy who did at least the first day on a Catrike (saw his post in the Texas Catrikers FB pags) but I'm not sure he made it the second day, the first day wore him out.  I had lots of people on Day 2 offering to swap me bikes: their tailbones, backs, shoulders, and necks were sore.  No thanks, I was quite comfortable on my Musashi!!!  My only aches were from my left hip flexor (worked that out in the first 15 miles of Day 2) and a little soreness in my knees, but for the most part I felt great the whole weekend!  

I joined team Cork Dorks (sponsored by Barefoot Wines and Sun & Ski Sports) at the last minute.  I usually join a friend's team or am recruited by a team and figured that would happen this year what with my being in last year's Top 100 Fundraisers and all, but as of two weeks before the ride no such opportunity presented itself.  I saw the Cork Dorks advertised as a "featured team" in one of the MS150 emails (meaning they were open to new members joining) and I figured it would be a win-win: I get some perks at the finish line, they get to add my fund raising to their team total.  The Team Leader, Drew, was cool over email and even coordinated for me to get some nice jerseys out of the deal (designed for upright riders of course) but I was silly to have any delusions about gaining a riding buddy out of the deal.  I forget that the recumbent riding pace just doesn't mesh well with uprights.  Their team communication was also nearly non-existent and since they were sort of paired up with Team Sun & Ski I couldn't hardly tell which team was which.  Very confusing.  I did get some tasty wine and food at the end of the first day, but by the time I came in the second day they were already tearing down the tent and didn't have any food left.  Disappointing.  I guess in the future I just need to a) join a team earlier so I can meet the other team members before-hand or b) try to recruit some of you recumbent riders to keep me company.  Wink  I used to ride these with a friend of mine from college but now that we live so far away I end up doing this DFW one and he does the one in San Antonio...  I miss having a riding buddy.

A special thanks to my wonderful husband Danny who waited patiently for me at the finish line both days and encouraged me in my riding throughout the years.  

Last but not least, a HUGE thank you to anyone who donated to my fundraising efforts. I couldn't have done it without you!  In the coming weeks I'll be making a final push to try and reach my fundraising goal but will likely end up matching my friend's and family's donations in order to go the distance. It's a great cause and I love being a part if such a wonderful organization that makes such a huge difference in the lives of those who suffer from Multiple Sclerosis.  Fundraising will still be active for several weeks.  If you haven't donated but would like to, please visit this link:  http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/sstracener2013 .  Hopefully I'll make it into the Top 100 again!!

Can't wait for next year!  Anyone want to join me in 2014???   Smiley

« Last Edit: May 6th, 2013, 11:04am by shellbear »  

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: 2013 DFW MS150
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2013, 4:38pm

Any time you can do 150 miles in two days it's a win!  Nice job.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - May 6th, 2013, 8:30pm

Good job, Shelley!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2013, 8:36pm

Quote from aikigreg on May 6th, 2013, 4:38pm:
Any time you can do 150 miles in two days it's a win!  Nice job.

Thanks!  :-D

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
Mizta_Nice

rbent member

Reply #4 - May 7th, 2013, 6:23am

I admire you for doing this ride! 150 is a lot to do anytime, plus the fact that you're fundraising is a big plus as well.

"Slow and steady wins the race" is what all us slow and steady people say when we don't win the race.
WWW   IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #5 - May 7th, 2013, 8:23am

Quote from Mizta_Nice on May 7th, 2013, 6:23am:
I admire you for doing this ride! 150 is a lot to do anytime, plus the fact that you're fundraising is a big plus as well.

Thanks!  This is my third time doing this particular ride, and I've done the San Antonio ride 6 times as well (when I lived in Austin).  It's a really well-run event and the NMSS has actually helped my friend Cesar who has MS (he is who I ride for).  They built a nice wooden wheelchair ramp outside his parent's home that can accommodate the weight of his motorized wheelchair.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print