Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 13th, 2024, 9:43pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Carbent Seat Mount Failure (Read 6383 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Carbent Seat Mount Failure
Apr 17th, 2013, 7:24pm

As I was transporting my Carbent high racer to the Lancaster Country Ride, last Saturday, I heard a cracking sound as I turned a corner and the rear of the bike slid about 15". I had the fork installed in a fork mount on the floor of my van and the front of the bike secured with a tie-down to keep the bike in an upright position. Inspected the bike at Lancaster and couldn't see any damage, so I went ahead and rode it 42 miles. Last Tuesday, I started riding it at WRL and noticed the seat was moving back and forth as I pedaled. Inspection revealed the carbon fiber seat mount was not attached to the carbon tube frame member. It's a glued joint (aircraft grade epoxy). After conferring with the manufacturer, Bent Up Cycles, determined that the carbon frame tube had delaminated. The bike is 6 months out of warranty, so I'm up the creek. I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars to send it to the manufacturer for a repair attempt and certainly not thousands for a new frame. Going to attempt to repair it myself with the epoxy the manufacturer originally used to attach the seat mount to the frame (Costs about $90) and hope the tube does not delaminate further. Guess I should have purchased a CA 2.0.   Sad

W-shaped seat mount detached from frame tube.

Email   IP Logged
dd5339
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Carbent Seat Mount Failure
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2013, 7:46pm

Ouch!  That stinks.

Semper Fi

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2013, 7:48pm

You might consider reinforcing the glue joint with a metal strap screwed to the seat frame.  Titanium would be neat!  But aluminum should work.   Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
LightningPilot

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2013, 7:49pm

Quote from jayg on Apr 17th, 2013, 7:24pm:
As I was transporting my Carbent high racer to the Lancaster Country Ride, last Saturday, I heard a cracking sound as I turned a corner and the rear of the bike slid about 15". I had the fork installed in a fork mount on the floor of my van and the front of the bike secured with a tie-down to keep the bike in an upright position. Inspected the bike at Lancaster and couldn't see any damage, so I went ahead and rode it 42 miles. Last Tuesday, I started riding it at WRL and noticed the seat was moving back and forth as I pedaled. Inspection revealed the carbon fiber seat mount was not attached to the carbon tube frame member. It's a glued joint (aircraft grade epoxy). After conferring with the manufacturer, Bent Up Cycles, determined that the carbon frame tube had delaminated. The bike is 6 months out of warranty, so I'm up the creek. I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars to send it to the manufacturer for a repair attempt and certainly not thousands for a new frame. Going to attempt to repair it myself with the epoxy the manufacturer originally used to attach the seat mount to the frame (Costs about $90) and hope the tube does not delaminate further. Guess I should have purchased a CA 2.0.   Sad

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af339/jayg_2010/DSC00126_zps69d7ef6e.jpg

Bummer, hate that it happened to you  Smiley

« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2013, 7:51pm by LightningPilot »  

Carolyn Trimble
2001 Lightning P38
2005 Lightning P38
2000 Litespeed Ultimate
1988 Hujsak Century
  IP Logged
Ric_Clark

2012 ~ Musashi

Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2013, 7:52pm

Quote from jayg on Apr 17th, 2013, 7:24pm:

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af339/jayg_2010/DSC00126_zps69d7ef6e.jpg

My money is on Jay completing  the repairs better than new...... Smiley Smiley Smiley

Smiley

Ric Clark

I will persist until I succeed...

Gig em AGGIES, Smiley

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2013, 9:54pm

I think you should cut it up and send it back to you know who. Then tell them to keep it - you'd rather ride a Musashi anyway.  Then I'd cross post on BROL.  

6 months out of warranty is bs. I'm sure your bike has a lot fewer miles on it then others riding the same bike with a lot more weight and produce a lot more power. Heck you have so many bikes there is no way you could wear one out.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - Apr 17th, 2013, 11:09pm

Seriously, Dana won't fix it?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Andy

rbent member

Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2013, 8:13am

If you can't fix it contact Franz of Pterovelo in Oklahoma City.  he fixes carbon frames for people all the time around here and does amazing work reasonably.  holler if you need contact info.
Andy. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2013, 9:51am

Well look at the bright side. You may need a new high racer. I hear the M5 is pretty nice.  Smiley

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2013, 2:17pm

Oh, it is.  But it's really more of a lowracer - you just get the benefit of the bigger front wheel.  

Jay, did you talk to Dana directly?  I mean, mine is rock solid at 250 pounds and 4 years of solid use.  It's been on cross country trips, two different hill country races over texas chipseal, the race across Oregon, 2 or 3 tejas time trial races, and countless brevets.  No way a featherweight like you who doesn't ride it exclusively damaged that bike.

Quote from TonyWard on Apr 18th, 2013, 9:51am:
Well look at the bright side. You may need a new high racer. I hear the M5 is pretty nice.  Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Apr 18th, 2013, 4:04pm

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 18th, 2013, 2:17pm:
Oh, it is.  But it's really more of a lowracer - you just get the benefit of the bigger front wheel.  

Jay, did you talk to Dana directly?  I mean, mine is rock solid at 250 pounds and 4 years of solid use.  It's been on cross country trips, two different hill country races over texas chipseal, the race across Oregon, 2 or 3 tejas time trial races, and countless brevets.  No way a featherweight like you who doesn't ride it exclusively damaged that bike.

Quote from TonyWard on Apr 18th, 2013, 9:51am:

Yes, I have talked to him personally and been in contact with him via E-mail. When I first talked to him, thought the problem was defective glue bond. Told him I wanted to repair it myself, because I have worked with epoxy, and I wanted to ride the bike at Muenster, week after next. He sent me info on the glue and some instructions. I looked at the mount this morning and confirmed that the frame tube had delaminated, rather than the mount glue bond failing. As a matter of fact, there is a loose layer of carbon fiber on the tube that is not embedded in the epoxy matrix. Because of my 145 pound weight, Dana still thinks the bike will be safe to ride, if I repair it myself. The other options are to ship the bike to California and have my frame repaired or have a new frame frame built, using salvageable components from the damaged frame. Dana would discount the prices. I don't want to spend big bucks, so will probably attempt to repair it myself. Think I'll beef up the mount-to-tube joint by applying aircraft grade epoxy and fiberglass on each side of the mount and run it down onto the tube. This type of seat mount failure has been reported on only one other Carbent.

Speaking of high racers, my 2008 Corsa was a great bike. Should have kept it, instead of entering the carbon bike world.

Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #11 - Apr 18th, 2013, 4:24pm

Quote:
Speaking of high racers, my 2008 Corsa was a great bike. Should have kept it, instead of entering the carbon bike world.

As I recall, You didn't like that bike either.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #12 - Apr 18th, 2013, 4:27pm

I'm VERY surprised that Dana isn't just straight-up taking care of it.  That's not very like him at all.  I had a similar experience when my carbon aero 1.0 exploded after I dropped the front wheel into the great, except the frame was completely toast.  That frame had serious defects from the start which were kept very hush hush by Bacchetta.  I'm very thankful for homeowner's insurance.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Apr 18th, 2013, 4:41pm

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 18th, 2013, 4:27pm:
I'm VERY surprised that Dana isn't just straight-up taking care of it.  That's not very like him at all.  I had a similar experience when my carbon aero 1.0 exploded after I dropped the front wheel into the great, except the frame was completely toast.  That frame had serious defects from the start which were kept very hush hush by Bacchetta.  I'm very thankful for homeowner's insurance.

He's considering it a "crashed" bike. Last Saturday, I transported the bike to Lancaster with the fork secured to a fork mount on the floor of my van and the front of the bike tied down to prevent tipping. When I turned a corner the bike's rear tire shifted to the side about 15", followed by a cracking sound. Apparently, that's when the majority of the failure occurred. After that, the seat mount must have been bonded to the tube on its perimeter, because I rode 42 miles at Lancaster with no indication of a problem (Glad it didn't give way on the one 37 mph downhill run I made). The mount totally failed when I started riding at WRL, last Tuesday.  

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Apr 18th, 2013, 4:53pm

Quote from jcsadowski on Apr 18th, 2013, 4:24pm:
Quote:

As I recall, You didn't like that bike either.

I didn't like the Euromesh seat, it killed my butt. It was a great bike after I replaced the Euromesh with a carbon seat. However, did have to stay away from mud, sand, and gravel, because it would go down in a flash.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print