Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 13th, 2024, 5:24pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ADEM headrest for RANS Hoagie seat (Read 3364 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

ADEM headrest for RANS Hoagie seat
Mar 19th, 2013, 11:13am

Decided to purchase the ADEM "2H" headrest for the Xstream Hoagie seat, since the XL frame essentially allows full recline to the last seatpin hole...

The headrest assembly fastens to the seat through three standard bolt holes (like water bottle cages) spaced across the top of the seatframe.  It was a real task getting to the hole at the top of the seatframe -- you essentially have to go through three layers of fabric there, because the two side panels overlap there, as well as the reinforcing piece.    

Didn't have a soldering iron, so I xacto knifed / scissored it, with the addition of a butane lighter...

Here are other attachment pics

The top bolt is "inside" the top sleeve, which Don provides as well, already placed.

With headrest inserted -- this is a very nice "tongued" velcro attachment design, keeping the headrest insert where you put it, yet easily adjustable.  There is also a side setscrew to help eliminate any rattle.

Side view (after bending the support)

With the Hoagie seatbag installed...  the hole in the top of the bag is marginally large enough to get the headrest piece through -- it's like putting a difficult tire on a rim...  but I got it...

I also wound up "custom bending" the headrest extension, clamping it in my workshop vise -- as it was, it came too far forward -- but this is a typical adjustment, and the included instructions talk about this.

I used it on three rides last weekend, and it works quite nicely...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: ADEM headrest for RANS Hoagie seat
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2013, 4:45pm

Nice instructions!  I wondered how it was done.  Alexis has been asking for one, so likely going to pick one up soon myself.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2013, 9:01pm

Good looking setup.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Rat Rider

Recumbents Across
Texas

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2013, 7:13pm

I have been monkeying with the headrest quite a bit. I am sold on it, but I can't seem to find the sweet spot. I took aeroDon's pad off and put a much larger pad on. Time will tell. I notice that many people use the guts of the headrest with a variety of different pads.
R

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
CruzRocket indoor recumbent Zwift trainer
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2013, 6:49am

Likewise...  Still fiddling with it a bit.  Definitely better than not having one, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the lack of vibration transfer.

Got any photos of your replacement pad, and details of how you switched it?

« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2013, 6:50am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Rat Rider

Recumbents Across
Texas

Reply #5 - May 9th, 2013, 10:24am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Apr 21st, 2013, 6:49am:
Likewise...  Still fiddling with it a bit.  Definitely better than not having one, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the lack of vibration transfer.

Got any photos of your replacement pad, and details of how you switched it?

The effort is ongoing. I am still futzing with it. I have fashioned one from a round piece of foam. I also went to Lowes and bought more 1.5" aluminum as I have bent the daylights out of the mast that came with it. Also, the mast that came with it has oversize holes to allow for rubber grommets. As I do not want to use the grommets, I have to create another mast - the holes after taking out the rubber pieces are too large. It has become more trouble that it's worth.  

Once I have married a replacement pad, I will post something.

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
CruzRocket indoor recumbent Zwift trainer
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print