Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 13th, 2024, 11:26pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Carbent Seat Mount Failure (Read 6394 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Carbent Seat Mount Failure
Reply #15 - Apr 19th, 2013, 10:24am

Thanks everybody for the comments and suggestions. Last night, I ordered $90 worth of aircraft grade epoxy adhesive to use in accomplishing the repair work.

Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #16 - Apr 19th, 2013, 11:22am

Quote:
Last night, I ordered $90 worth of aircraft grade epoxy adhesive to use in accomplishing the repair work.

Jay,
Good Luck.
John

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #17 - Apr 19th, 2013, 11:51am

Quote from jcsadowski on Apr 19th, 2013, 11:22am:
Quote:
Last night, I ordered $90 worth of aircraft grade epoxy adhesive to use in accomplishing the repair work.

Jay,
Good Luck.
John

Thanks, John.  

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #18 - May 5th, 2013, 9:08pm

Due to the great expense of having the factory fix my Carbent's failed seat-to-frame attachment, decided to attempt the repair myself. I've been putting it off, because it's a one- shot deal. If I screw it up, the bike is ruined. Everything seemed to go OK. I followed the bike manufacturer's prep and adhesive application instructions, strapped the seat to the frame, then aligned the seat and struts. In 5 days, after the epoxy adhesive fully cures, I'll find out whether or not the repair attempt has been successful. Hope to ride the bike this Saturday at the Cedar Hill "Head for the Hills" ride.

Prepped frame and seat mount.

900 grams of aircraft grade epoxy adhesive. I used only 24.6 grams. Cost me $90. Smallest quantity I could buy.

Applying adhesive.

Strapped seat to frame with ratcheting load strap.

The squirrels keep coming in the garage and bugging me, so I have to go out and feed them.  Smiley  

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #19 - May 6th, 2013, 6:16am

"900 grams of aircraft grade epoxy adhesive. I used only 24.6 grams. Cost me $90. Smallest quantity I could buy."

Perhaps with the rousing success of the repair you could offer the same job to other unfortunates...depending on how risk averse you are.  

................................................................................

"The squirrels keep coming in the garage and bugging me, so I have to go out and feed them.  Smiley "

Aww!  Reminds me of Dr. Doolittle: "If I could talk to the animals..."
(gee, I wish this site could accept alt codes)

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
obent

rbent member

Reply #20 - May 6th, 2013, 6:52am

A few years ago, while at RBM talking with Jack, one of the bike repair techs, came by to say hello (Dana). As he turned around, and started to walk away, I noticed the back of his jacket was moving.  I asked what is going on with your back. He pulled out a baby squirrel.  It turned out it had fell out of a nest, and he had raised it back to health.  Dana released it back to nature, a few weeks later.  

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #21 - May 6th, 2013, 10:11am

Quote from Action Lad on May 6th, 2013, 6:16am:

Perhaps with the rousing success of the repair you could offer the same job to other unfortunates...depending on how risk averse you are.

I think the best service I could provide would be to give the following advice to people contemplating shelling out big bucks for a CF high racer: Don't buy a low production bike glued together like a model airplane. Buy a CA 2.0.

Checked the bike this morning. The epoxy set hard overnight, so everything is looking good, so far.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #22 - May 6th, 2013, 10:19am

Quote from obent on May 6th, 2013, 6:52am:
A few years ago, while at RBM talking with Jack, one of the bike repair techs, came by to say hello (Dana). As he turned around, and started to walk away, I noticed the back of his jacket was moving.  I asked what is going on with your back. He pulled out a baby squirrel.  It turned out it had fell out of a nest, and he had raised it back to health.  Dana released it back to nature, a few weeks later.  

I'm worried about baby squirrels. I'm surrounded by healthy, fat squirrels when I go outside, right now. When their babies start showing up there's going to be a herd of them waiting for me to come outside.  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #23 - May 10th, 2013, 7:17pm

Let the epoxy adhesive cure for 5 days, then took the bike for a 6.4 mile round trip to WRL this afternoon. Ran it over a rough plank bridge twice at speed and hit some bumps with it. The seat remained solidly attached to the frame tube, so the repair is apparently successful. Bill, John, and Corsa Ken, look for me on the bike at "Head for the Hills", tomorrow morning.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print