Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 14th, 2024, 3:23am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Musashi storage: Jay's Trail Bags (Read 3454 times)
shellbear

Musashi storage: Jay's Trail Bags
Apr 10th, 2013, 10:16am

Jay!  Consider this a formal request for pics/instructions on how you attached your Catrike Trail bags to your Musashi.  Smiley

I just got a pair from Mike at Easy Street and would rather not reinvent the wheel since your bags seem so sturdy and well-attached.  Smiley  I seem to recall that you have some special custom bar between them on the seat-facing bottom corner to keep them separated and not touching your back wheel.  I know that Lynn had to use a piece of small PVC pipe to hang her Expedition bags on because they interfered with her seat back straps, I may do something like that as well unless you have a better solution!

« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2013, 10:28am by shellbear »  

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Musashi storage: Jay's Trail Bags
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2013, 12:59pm

Quote from shellbear on Apr 10th, 2013, 10:16am:
Jay!  Consider this a formal request for pics/instructions on how you attached your Catrike Trail bags to your Musashi.  Smiley

I just got a pair from Mike at Easy Street and would rather not reinvent the wheel since your bags seem so sturdy and well-attached.  Smiley  I seem to recall that you have some special custom bar between them on the seat-facing bottom corner to keep them separated and not touching your back wheel.  I know that Lynn had to use a piece of small PVC pipe to hang her Expedition bags on because they interfered with her seat back straps, I may do something like that as well unless you have a better solution!

Shelley, I didn't use a separator bar to support the leading edges of my "Trail" bags. I found a long Velcro strap in one of my parts boxes that had a couple of black, plastic, swivel snap hooks on it. I laid the strap between the seat back and seat pad and hooked the snap hooks to the fabric loops on the noses of the bags as shown in the below photo. The hooks prevent the bags from contacting the tire.

Email   IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2013, 1:01pm

Oh, ok!  Excellent!  So the top velcro fit fine next to your seat straps?  Mine are squished between the seat straps and the side of the seat frame but feel like they have enough grip to secure the bags properly.
Thanks for the quick response! Smiley

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2013, 1:14pm

Quote from shellbear on Apr 10th, 2013, 1:01pm:
Oh, ok!  Excellent!  So the top velcro fit fine next to your seat straps?  Mine are squished between the seat straps and the side of the seat frame but feel like they have enough grip to secure the bags properly.
Thanks for the quick response! Smiley

The bag's top strap was a tight fit between the seat strap and headrest mount.

Email   IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2013, 1:22pm

Ooh, ok.  My instinct was to go as far away from the wheel as possible, but I see how yours have plenty of clearance.  Thanks for the tips!

IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2013, 2:59pm

Shelly, I used the velcro stick that came with the bags, but I had to take the dowel out and substitute an old, bent spoke to keep the thing from rubbing the tire.  Not having the parts lying around to build Jay's front attachment, I just used wire tie (like the kind holding Chinese toys to their packaging).  It's thin enough to insert through the seat mesh and has lasted nearly a year.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2013, 4:49pm

Quote from rmillay on Apr 10th, 2013, 2:59pm:
Shelly, I used the velcro stick that came with the bags, but I had to take the dowel out and substitute an old, bent spoke to keep the thing from rubbing the tire.  Not having the parts lying around to build Jay's front attachment, I just used wire tie (like the kind holding Chinese toys to their packaging).  It's thin enough to insert through the seat mesh and has lasted nearly a year.

Thanks!  I'll have to get creative and I'll come back and post my solution.

IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2013, 12:06am

So which bags fit the Musashi, the Expedition's?  Certainly the 700's bags won't fit the triangle.

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Jun 3rd, 2013, 7:58am

Quote from Action Lad on Jun 3rd, 2013, 12:06am:
So which bags fit the Musashi, the Expedition's?  Certainly the 700's bags won't fit the triangle.  

Both the "Trail" and "Expedition" bags fit. The Expedition bags have the most storage capacity of the two choices.  

Email   IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #9 - Jun 3rd, 2013, 9:25am

I got the Expedition bags, and they work great!!  :-D  Anyone want to buy my old Bike Nashbar wedge bags?  I used them upside down in the lower part of the triangular frame shape on either side of the rear wheel.  Maybe I'll go post them in the Marketplace section...
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_167563_-1___202602

IP Logged
artcat

rbent member

Reply #10 - Jun 3rd, 2013, 5:59pm

I like the space that the Expedition bags have.  That is what I have on my Musashi.

Green Musashi
Bachetta Corsa SS
Black Catrike 700
  IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Jun 3rd, 2013, 9:45pm

Quote from shellbear on Jun 3rd, 2013, 9:25am:
I got the Expedition bags, and they work great!!  :-D  Anyone want to buy my old Bike Nashbar wedge bags?  I used them upside down in the lower part of the triangular frame shape on either side of the rear wheel.  Maybe I'll go post them in the Marketplace section...
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_167563_-1___202602
Hmmm, I'm wondering if I attached the more up and down side to the sloping front derailleur post, if that would allow the long side, (opposite the 90 degree angle), to lie flat.  How wide is it from side to side?  Thinking about holding the Gamo pistol inside for those special times with my loud, toothy friends.   Smiley

IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #12 - Jun 4th, 2013, 9:07am

Quote from Action Lad on Jun 3rd, 2013, 9:45pm:
Hmmm, I'm wondering if I attached the more up and down side to the sloping front derailleur post, if that would allow the long side, (opposite the 90 degree angle), to lie flat.  How wide is it from side to side?  Thinking about holding the Gamo pistol inside for those special times with my loud, toothy friends.   Smiley

They're about an inch and a half thick, but can get a bit poochy if you stuff it full of soft things (like clothing).  Here are the specs from the Bike Nashbar website:  
CARGO VOLUME:         60 cubic inches  
DIMENSIONS:         10 x 8 x 1.5"  

« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2013, 9:07am by shellbear »  

IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Jun 4th, 2013, 7:27pm

Quote from shellbear on Jun 4th, 2013, 9:07am:
Quote from Action Lad on Jun 3rd, 2013, 9:45pm:

They're about an inch and a half thick, but can get a bit poochy if you stuff it full of soft things (like clothing).  Here are the specs from the Bike Nashbar website:
CARGO VOLUME:   60 cubic inches
DIMENSIONS:   10 x 8 x 1.5"
Good stuff.  just wide enough for the pistol.  The only other things in there would be a small pouch for a couple of its tiny disc-like magazines, and an extra CO2 cartridge.  
How much are you selling one bag for?

IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #14 - Jun 4th, 2013, 8:10pm

Meh, you can have it if you want it!  Want to meet me somewhere to pick it up?  I live and work in Carrollton, but if you want me to drive much further than the southwest Plano area it'll have to be this weekend.  My weekdays are kind of full this week.  Send me a PM if you like.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print