Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 14th, 2024, 3:25am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pedal Recommendations? (Read 2964 times)
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Pedal Recommendations?
Nov 27th, 2012, 7:39pm

I'm looking to get some pedals and shoes for a nephew who is new to bents and biking both. He is in the process of building a tadpole trike from scratch...and I think I want to get him a setup that is easier to walk around in than old school road shoes. The only experience I have is with Look and Speedplay road pedals. What would be a good relatively inexpensive pedal to get him? Shimano SPD MTB? Crank Bros?  Please advise...

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Pedal Recommendations?
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2012, 8:23pm

I've been using Shimano SPD's with a specialized road shoe. The shoe has the look of a roadie with a smooth rubber bottom and good support. Plus the price is right under a 100.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2012, 7:10am

Both the SPD and Crank Bros are fine, and you can get MTB shoes for around $50...   John Paulus at the Lancaster bike shop has a set of Crank Bros. eggbeaters on clearance for ~$40, last time I was down there...  Give him a call!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2012, 8:11am

I have been a Speedplay Frog fan for over a decade now.  MTB shoes work with the Frog cleat.  I am a fan of Shimano shoes.  Their womens specific shoes fit me well.  Dave has found comfort in the mens Shimano MTB shoes too.  He likes the Crank Bros pedals.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2012, 2:08pm

I've been with the SPDs for years.  They work with mountain shoes, as well as sandals, and they shed mud well--a plus for the more adventuresome rider.  Now I use the touring model (Shimano PD-A520).  They are one-sided, but they hang with the catches toward the rider, which is particularly helpful for the 'bent rider.

I much prefer Sidi for my shoes, as the fit is reliable, and the shoes are durable.  They are expensive, however.  I buy mine on closeout sales, so I'm not fashionable, but I keep more money.  Heck! I wear mountain bike shoes on my road bike, so who needs fashion?!!   Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2012, 4:05pm

I agree with the SPD pedals. I've used Specialized, Lake and Sidi shoes but since I have a wide foot, I stick with the Lake for shoes and use the Nashbar sandals since they are wide as well.

IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Nov 28th, 2012, 7:25pm

I've used SPD's, Crank Bros, and currently have Speedplay Frogs. I liked my Crank Bros Candy pedals quite a lot. They were economical and dependable, purchased as a replacement for the SPD's when the bearings wore out. The only reason I changed to Frogs was because of a nagging knee. All of these will work with a variety of mountain bike shoes, which are easy to walk in. I previously had a pair of Specialized shoes but switched to a pair of Shimano. Performance Bicycle had a particularly good selection of different shoes when I needed to replace mine.

IP Logged
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Reply #7 - Nov 30th, 2012, 8:56am

Thanks, I knew I couold count on this group to give good advice freely!

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2013, 9:02pm

Bringing the thread back to life.

looking for some input on pedals/shoes, I've been looking at shoes today and the road shoes i like use a 3 bolt pattern such as SPD-SL or SpeedPlay.  I've been having foot issues and will probably replace my Shimano MTB shoes and Time MTB pedals.

thoughts?

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2013, 9:55pm

I'm pretty happy with the look keo pedals I have now, but mainly wanted to comment on speed play pedals. I had speed play zero pedals on my up wrong bike, and I really liked them....until I put them on a recumbent. On the up wrong bike,  I would stand with nearly all my weight on the pedal I was clipping in to, and twist my foot back and forth like I was grinding out a really stubborn cigaret. That's what it took to get clipped in, but it wasn't a problem on the up wrong. On the bent it was really difficult to get clipped in, and it seemed like I was putting undesirable stress on both my seat and me...so I switched over to the look pedals. At that point I was interested in the speed play frogs and other MTB pedals, but I didn't want to replace my really nice, expensive road shoes....and so I went with the look pedals. My 2cents on pedals.

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #10 - Jul 11th, 2013, 10:01pm

Quote from Tiger_Mike on Jul 11th, 2013, 9:55pm:
I'm pretty happy with the look keo pedals I have now, but mainly wanted to comment on speed play pedals. I had speed play zero pedals on my up wrong bike, and I really liked them....until I put them on a recumbent. On the up wrong bike,  I would stand with nearly all my weight on the pedal I was clipping in to, and twist my foot back and forth like I was grinding out a really stubborn cigaret. That's what it took to get clipped in, but it wasn't a problem on the up wrong. On the bent it was really difficult to get clipped in, and it seemed like I was putting undesirable stress on both my seat and me...so I switched over to the look pedals. At that point I was interested in the speed play frogs and other MTB pedals, but I didn't want to replace my really nice, expensive road shoes....and so I went with the look pedals. My 2cents on pedals.

Thank you for the input, I had a sales person tell me the same thing today about the Speedplay.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Jul 12th, 2013, 9:37am

Frogs are easy to clip into.  Just step/push down/out and it clicks in.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Jul 12th, 2013, 12:13pm

Quote from Monkeywrangler22 on Jul 12th, 2013, 9:37am:
Frogs are easy to clip into.  Just step/push down/out and it clicks in.

Second that. Also, lots of float and it's easy to clip out of the pedals (No springs). Replacement cleats are expensive and not real durable, but I've switched back to Frogs, because of a problem I was having with my right foot. I've added some Dr. Scholl's thin, padded insoles under my Specialized MTB shoes' insoles and am not experiencing any more discomfort. Even though they have been bothering my right foot, still using Crank Brothers Eggbeaters on my trike, because the Frogs were releasing unexpectedly on rough pavement (Not good when your foot hits the ground and gets sucked under a trike's cruciform). I replaced the thin insoles in the pair of Specialized MTB shoes I use with the Eggbeaters with a pair of Dr. Scholl's "Active Series" insoles. The thick ball of foot padding in these insoles seems to relieve the discomfort in my right foot.

« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2013, 12:14pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #13 - Jul 12th, 2013, 12:18pm

I have put a lot of miles on Speedplay pedals, on my 'bents, and have had no problems getting clipped in (I'm usually one of the first one clipped and rolling on rides).  I prefer the float that I get with them.  Part of that may be the fact that I've been on them since they were first released (mass market).

Of course, as Tiger_Mike will tell you, some folks do have issues, so your mileage may vary.

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print