Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 13th, 2024, 5:17pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lost my idler... (Read 2882 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Lost my idler...
Mar 4th, 2013, 7:18am

Like what happened to Jay a while back, at some point during the Forney ride yesterday, the bolt holding the "chain keeper" part of the Xstream crossover idler vibrated loose and came off -- I have no idea when, but I'm surprised I didn't hear the chain rubbing against the arms at some point.  When I got back to the parking lot, I noticed the assembly was gone.  Huh  The IDLER was still there, obviously, but no one in the group saw the piece fall off, so I had no idea where to look for it.  I noticed that even one of the 3 screws holding the idler together was starting to back itself out, as well.

Not quite thinking clearly, I put the bike on the roof rack, and drove home...  and on I-30, heard the crossover idler fall off and hit the car roof as I drove into the gusting winds...  and saw it roll off somewhere off to the side, but there was so much traffic I couldn't stop or really even pull over.

So, I'll be ordering a new idler assembly........   Sad

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2013, 7:19am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Re: Lost my idler...
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2013, 8:31pm

That's sad!  Why am I laughing?   Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2013, 10:40pm

I started to post some really snide remark, but decided that since I have a bike with a RANS idler, that would be bad karma.

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2013, 10:41pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2013, 8:18am

My idler made a lot of noise when it tried to come off on a ride last year with Greg.  Took a few minutes to identify exactly what was causing the noise, but it was very noticeable.  We stopped and I tightened it up and haven't had a problem since.

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2013, 2:15pm

Quote from rmillay on Mar 4th, 2013, 8:31pm:
That's sad!  Why am I laughing?   Smiley

I believe the German word for this is "Schadenfreude"  (shod-en-froid-uh)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCQGQ5qBQTA

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2013, 4:02pm

Got the new idler assembly on Thursday, and was able to do the night ride to downtown and back...  They've changed up the design a little, using a rubber plug instead of a sleeve, as an expansion fitting.

Jay made and sent me one of his "shade tree machine shop" assemblies, out of the simple goodness of his heart...  unfortunately, they've apparently gone to a smaller-diameter tube coming out of the frame, and the knurled end wouldn't fit into it, much less if there was a rubber sleeve to expand against...  I'll take a look at the one on the old 2010 Xstream, to see what's changed (a GDB rider still has it).  So thanks, Jay, but I may be returning it to you...

jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2013, 5:07pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Mar 9th, 2013, 4:02pm:
Got the new idler assembly on Thursday, and was able to do the night ride to downtown and back...  They've changed up the design a little, using a rubber plug instead of a sleeve, as an expansion fitting.

Jay made and sent me one of his "shade tree machine shop" assemblies, out of the simple goodness of his heart...  unfortunately, they've apparently gone to a smaller-diameter tube coming out of the frame, and the knurled end wouldn't fit into it, much less if there was a rubber sleeve to expand against...  I'll take a look at the one on the old 2010 Xstream, to see what's changed (a GDB rider still has it).  So thanks, Jay, but I may be returning it to you...

I was afraid of that. Just keep it. Maybe you'll run across someone some day that needs a retainer. It fits a 2009 X-Stream, and those with idler shafts of the same I.D.

By the way, we ran across the "GDB rider" at the RBM trike ride. We discussed recumbents with her in the former Livestrong Room, after the ride.

Email   IP Logged
Andy

rbent member

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2013, 7:28pm

Hi Paul,  I ride a 2009 Xstream and would love to have that knurled piece if you don't want it.  Thanks,
Andy. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2013, 7:25am

I'll send it up, Andy!

jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2013, 5:49pm

The retainer is best installed with a T-handle allen wrench. With the wrench inserted in the fastener head, rotate the assembly, so the knurled tailpiece contacts the I.D. of the idler shaft and creates the friction necessary to prevent it from rotating when the screw is turned. Once the screw is tightened, the retainer will not come out, until you want it to. Unlike the expanding-rubber retainer, this retainer prevents the chain keeper from rotating.

Email   IP Logged
Andy

rbent member

Reply #10 - Mar 21st, 2013, 7:49pm

Sweet, thanks Paul!  pay pal you shipping?  Still trying to get you a pic of the 700c wheel in the tandem, don't have digital camera.  also, can you post a pic of how the pedals on the tandem should be set up again?  We are still in sync and I want to try you and Terry's setup.

Thanks again Paul and JayG...you Texans are alright!  Smiley
Andy. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2013, 8:58am

Quote from Andy on Mar 21st, 2013, 7:49pm:
Sweet, thanks Paul!  pay pal you shipping?  Still trying to get you a pic of the 700c wheel in the tandem, don't have digital camera.  also, can you post a pic of how the pedals on the tandem should be set up again?  We are still in sync and I want to try you and Terry's setup.

Thanks again Paul and JayG...you Texans are alright!  Smiley
Andy. Smiley

Mailing is chump change -- but it'll cost you $25 for the pedal advice...   Cheesy

Not really, of course...   I simply rotated the pedals out of sync by about 20 degrees or so, such that the "power stroke" happens at the same time for both riders.  Sit in the "captain" seat and put the pedal/crank straight out so your leg is fully extended -- that is where you would want the 'stoker' to be fully extended as well, so that will show you the angle you need, looking at the stoker crank vs. where it needs to be.  Remove the front chain, rotate the captain crank clockwise, then reattach the chain.  Tweak as needed.

« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2013, 9:07am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Andy

rbent member

Reply #12 - Mar 23rd, 2013, 10:21pm

Excellent!  That is just the pic and info I needed!  I'll move the crank set tomorrow.  As usual thanks a million for all your help.  I'll buy the lemon beers for y'all at the RANS rally next year.  Smiley
Andy
P.S.  Please tell Terry Becky and Andy said Hi!

Email   IP Logged
Seavo_Sam

Reply #13 - Apr 22nd, 2013, 9:42pm

I am glad I read through this link and saw the picture.  I will see if the wife wants to try this.  Make sense though to make this change!!!!

Rans Seavo Tandem - for us
Bacchetta Strada - for me
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print