Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 27th, 2024, 3:56pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bike Ride on 75 from Dallas to McKinney (Read 7321 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Bike Ride on 75 from Dallas to McKinney
Reply #15 - Mar 27th, 2013, 12:38pm

Innnnnnteresting....  be sure to wear your RBENT jersey on camera!!!!     Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #16 - Mar 27th, 2013, 3:16pm

Intreview was at noon.

Suddenly Gary is promising a refund.

May be aired at 6:00

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #17 - Mar 27th, 2013, 4:01pm

I'll be watching.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #18 - Mar 27th, 2013, 4:53pm

And yes Tony, that is Huffines Park.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #19 - Mar 27th, 2013, 6:33pm

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #20 - Mar 27th, 2013, 7:15pm

Denman - props in your interview. I'm not sure I would have been so gracious to Gary. Let us know how it all finally plays out.  Smiley

« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2013, 7:15pm by TonyWard »  

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #21 - Mar 27th, 2013, 9:30pm

I'll keep you posted on how & when Gary ends up returning the funds.  I'm pretty confident its not an if condition.

In the correspondence Gary mentioned "Mr. Lorentz".  It seemed awfully close to Chris Lorrance, owner of Cadence Cyclery in McKinney.  I gave Chris a call, then asked if he wanted to speak to channel 11.  You've seen the outcome.

FWIW, Chris is one of those guys who against all odds opened a bike shop in a place where not many people would go to buy a bike, yet he thrives very well because he's focused on customer satisfaction.  He doesn't sell bents yet, but at some point that will change.

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #22 - Mar 27th, 2013, 11:16pm

Quote from jayg on Mar 27th, 2013, 6:33pm:

Not only is there the write up, but there is the video report.  Thanks, Jay.  I would have been sorry to miss it.  
Wow, what a dream to have such a cleared route.  Such an endeavor has to be done by a team of people, experienced in such an undertaking.  Isn't there something like that in Chicago where they close down the streets for a large recreational cycling event?

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
LightningPilot

Reply #23 - Mar 28th, 2013, 11:15am

Quote from Action Lad on Mar 27th, 2013, 11:16pm:
Quote from jayg on Mar 27th, 2013, 6:33pm:

Not only is there the write up, but there is the video report.  Thanks, Jay.  I would have been sorry to miss it.  
Wow, what a dream to have such a cleared route.  Such an endeavor has to be done by a team of people, experienced in such an undertaking.  Isn't there something like that in Chicago where they close down the streets for a large recreational cycling event?

If my memory is correct, it starts at midnight.

Carolyn Trimble
2001 Lightning P38
2005 Lightning P38
2000 Litespeed Ultimate
1988 Hujsak Century
  IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #24 - Mar 29th, 2013, 7:45pm

It looks like BSWARMS has sent me a refund, but I don't see it on my bank statement yet.

I'll let you know when it does.

Also will let the folks in OKC know since the next planned ride is now contingent on that.

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #25 - Apr 1st, 2013, 3:17pm

Chicago does close down Lakeside Drive once a year for a recreational ride, and yes, we have done it.  It's a little like Tour Dallas with more people and a shorter route.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #26 - Apr 2nd, 2013, 7:53pm

Refund was posted by the bank today.

Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #27 - Apr 2nd, 2013, 10:20pm

[quote author=AustinSkater link=1359131323/0#1 date=1359132475]One of my coworkers mentioned it, and I just had to laugh.  If they pull in $600,000 (10k riders @ $60), it would probably lose money on just closing 75 alone.  There is no way that Dallas, Richardson, Plano, Allen/Fairview, Mckinney would close all four lanes of 75 for this without a large sum of money changing hands.  

Besides the permits, the other logistics will probably be a nightmare as well:

You'd be surprised. Bike around the Bay south of Houston closes off a lane on 45 when the ride leaves Galveston and a Baytown ride last month had a lane closed just for cyclists going over a major bridge.  

BTW My rule of life #56: Never pre-register for an event ride, you never know what the weather will be like on the day of the event.

« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2013, 10:22pm by mleuck »  
  IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #28 - Apr 3rd, 2013, 6:04am

Quote from mleuck on Apr 2nd, 2013, 10:20pm:

You'd be surprised. Bike around the Bay south of Houston closes off a lane on 45 when the ride leaves Galveston and a Baytown ride last month had a lane closed just for cyclists going over a major bridge.

I skated the Baytown ride years ago, that bridge is a blast.  

They also close part of I-35 in Duluth for an inline race.  But in all instances it's one (maybe two) jurisdiction being dealt with, not 5 (or 6 depending on how you count it), and not all lanes for many miles.  Also, this event was advertised as having rest stops every 10-12 miles, so either they would have had to have them on 75 (choke points), or have riders crossing the access road to get to them (accidents waiting to happen).  That's part of the logistics nightmare.

Consider the MS-150 (Houston to Austin), they have a few lanes closed early in the ride, then closures in La Grange for the over night, and lanes closed in Austin for the finish (or at least they did they years I skated it).  The entry fee and minimum donations were quite high, and multiplied by 15,000 riders (a very scary sight if you've never seen Houston flatlanders climbing the Austin hills).  Add to that corporate sponsorships and they have some serious bank available.  That's how they can afford to pay for all the closures

I still think that if this event had really happened the organizer would have lost money, and would have needed to be planned/permitted a year in advance.

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print