Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 18th, 2024, 8:48pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
For those who like to get with Christmas shopping (Read 1360 times)
texpug
Five Star Member

rbent member

For those who like to get with Christmas shopping
Oct 10th, 2012, 12:02pm

I know it may seem ridiculously early to be posting this Christmas list now, but for the Type A's in the group, this is a little late! Below are some ideas and tips for you or some one you love for the approaching Big Event. Here is a wide variety of neat stuff for the cyclist from pennies to high dollar range. Don't have any cyclist that you need to buy for? Then print this list and leave in "convenient" places for people that have to buy for YOU to find (note: highlight items of interest with highlight makers! Smiley  

STOCKING STUFFRERS

1. Roll of reflective adhesive tape. Use your imagination on this. Put small strips on your riding shoes, on critical parts of your trike or bike (racks, pedals, etc).  

2. Clear disposable shower caps. These can be bought at the dollar store. Keep one tucked away some where on your or your cycle to have to cover your helmet in case you get caught in rain.

3. Small LED flashlight. These can be found as cheap as a dollar at some stores (free with a Harbor Freights coupon, etc). Super small and super necessary in case of emergency.  

4. Small emergency health pack. You can go all the way from a snack size Ziploc bag to a fancy small plastic box. Fill with these things: Bayer powder or tablet aspirin (powder works quicker in case of a heart attack), ibuprofen, band aids, allergy tablet, clean moist towelette packs to clean wound. Whatever medication you need.

5. Disposable plastic gloves. These can be bought at a dollar store. They are similar to what food handlers wear. Keep some tucked away in case you have to do some work on your chain while out riding.  

6. OFF towelettes. No explanation needed here!

7. Small nylon pet collar. Once again, these can be purchased at a dollar store. In all different colors. Adjust them so they fit like a bracelet on you. I even ironed on a reflective strip on mine. Where the dog ID goes, you can put a spare house key or car key on the ring so you will not lose them when out riding.  

8. Engraved pet I.D.'s. Have your name and vital info engraved on them. Put one on the pet collar mentioned above or on a split ring attached at a zipper of other strategic parts on you (be real cool and get a chain and wear!)

9. A small bag (again, anything from a snack size Ziploc up) with lip balm (I feel naked without lipstick!), Wash and Dri towelettes, eye drops, etc.  

10. Pant's leg securer. They make these for sale to put around your pants leg to keep it out of your chain. You can really get fun and creative here. Buy a package of elastic (all different widths are available) in white or black and cut to the size you are comfortable with, sew it up, and slip in your ankle when riding. The "slap bracelets" that kids love to slap on (they look similar to rulers, then you "slap" them on to go around your ankles) work great (I put some reflective tape on some and they works great!!!). You can always drop more bucks and get the ones manufactured for this purpose at bike shops.

11. Black plastic place mat. I have these on my Catrikes (this is for mesh seat cycles).  They slip under the seat and stay securely held and keep water from soaking your rear when riding in wet conditions. They do not show at all and sure make mud puddles a little more bearable to have to ride through.

12. Snowmobile wrist mirrors. These can be found for less than $10. Wear your rear view mirror on your wrist, and you can easily see EVERYTHING going on behind you by just moving your arm. GREAT if you have a dog on board to keep an eye on it, pulling a trailer or have a load on your rack.  

13. Arm warmers. These can be bought for a price by name brand manufacturers. But an inexpensive pair of "leg warmers" (a tube of warm material with an opening on both ends) work GREAT for arm warmers. Instead of having to keep up with a light jacket when you get warmed up, just pull these off and stick them in your pocket or in a bag somewhere.

14. Little bungee cords. These can be bought at the dollar store in packs of 4 or 5 little cords. These babies are HANDY!

15. Zip ties. EVERYBODY needs zip ties!

FOR UNDER THE TREE

1. New bike or trike Smiley

2. Car carrier for the vehicle. Not cheap. But they can make life a LOT easier. Some brands to consider at Hitch Rider and Alpaca.  

3. Head light and/or tail light for your cycle. You can go from the high dollar fancy ones that could light a runway at an airport to the compact but powerful great models for a small fraction of the cost. You can get them to run on rechargeable batteries, throw away batteries, even USB charged.  

4. Ride Kick electric assist. These little bitty trailers can easily be attached like a trailer to help you up some of those more challenging climbs.  

5. Fancy wheels or rims. For those who just cannot say "no" to bling. Check out the Velocity line. Or really go crazy and have some custom made.  

6. Chair back rests. These are those neat little cushions usually sold at office supply stores for sitting at desks. Fellowes is a reasonably priced brand. They make that seat oh-so-comfy.

7. A carrier for your Best Friend (dog). These are not cheap, but are well worth the money if you are a "dog person." A Basil Pasja basket is fabulous for dogs under 25 pounds. This basket mounts on your cycle on a rack and has an optional wire cover to keep your little one safe (from jumping out or being thrown out in case you wreck). Is your baby too big to carry on board? Then buy a trailer to pull along. Burley trailers are considered the gold standard for dog trailers but they are EXEENSIVE. There are other brands that the price can dip under a $100. Research them.  

8. A nice helmet. I know we all HAVE to have them, but don't you see some that just look SO COOL you WANT to wear them???? A splurge for a fancy helmet is always a welcomed gift.  

9. Shoes or sandals. Most bent riders clip in when riding, and a nice pair of shoes or sandals is a welcomed present.  

10. GPS. For the Geeks in the group, a state-of-the-art GPS and monitoring system is a dream gift. Do your homework -- do not just buy anything. They come with a wide variety of features and whistles and bells.  

11. A mount for your electronic devises such as a cell phone or GPS. For those who just cannot stand to be away from their social networks, help them easily and safely take the web with them!

12. Leg and arm coolers. I know it is cold Christmas Day  (50-50 chance), but most people do their riding when the days are MUCH warmer. A good pair of arm and leg coolers ingeniously work to help keep you feeling cooler and also give MUCH needed sun protection without having to slather on sunscreen. Check out the DeSoto and Zoots line.  

13. Bags or racks for your bike or trike. These range from small bags made for particular brands of cycles to more generic bags for any cycle. Many options here, so do your homework.  

14. Registration and hotel room to attend the 2013 Heart of Texas Recumbent Rally to be held February 23-24, 2013. Registration for the HOT is $30 ($35 after February 1) and can be made at www.hotrally.org.. Hotel can be booked at The Habitat Suites for $75 a night (make reservation BY PHONE and tell them you want the "HOT13" rate of $75).  
Add a HOT t shirt (your choice of a recumbent bike or trike on it for $12 ($14 for 2X and up). This is a SUPER fun and appreciated present!

HOT Rally - This is where the fun begins.
www.hotrally.org
The HOT is a 2 day rolling party for recumbent riders and their families to come together to ride, learn more about recumbent cycles, and hang out with those who share their passion for laid back riding.

Have more good ideas? Post them!

« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2012, 4:39pm by texpug »  

Catrike 700
Catrike Speed
Terra Trike Tandem Pro IPS
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: For those who like to get with Christmas shopp
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2012, 2:24pm

Very nice list!!!  Thank you!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
texpug
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2012, 6:55pm

15. For the creative in the group -- a personalized flag for the trike or bike. These are moderately difficult to hand make, but off the charts WAY COOL and worth the trouble. I am currently working on a University of Texas flag for my son (Texas Ex) and a Houston Texans flag for my hope-to-be daughter-in-law. If you don't have the time or tools to craft your own, there are many really good looking flags out there to be purchased!

Catrike 700
Catrike Speed
  IP Logged
texpug
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2012, 5:37pm

16. Krispie Steve necl rest. I have read rave reviews about these neck rests. I just ordered one for my husband for Christmas:
 http://www.recumbentjournal.com/component/content/article/49-live-news/1980-rest -easy--on-a-neck-rest-from-the-finer-recliner.html

Catrike 700
Catrike Speed
  IP Logged
texpug
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2012, 12:11pm

Stocking stuffers for Catrikers: you can get  a pack of 6 pairs of black infant socks at most 99 cents stores. One of these black socks will fit perfectly over the standard neck rest. When they get yucky, either throw them in the washing machine or toss them -- they are SO cheap and will keep your neck rest clean

Catrike 700
Catrike Speed
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print