Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 11:27pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CANDISC report (Read 1016 times)
Rawhide

rbent member

CANDISC report
Aug 15th, 2012, 8:22pm

Cycling Around North Dakota In Sakakawea Country!  Lewis & Clark territory is where the ride took place.  This is a ride worth considering as this is a venue ideal for demonstrating what a bent can do.  Did it the first time in 2009 and it was unseasonably cool then and it was this time too!  Lows in the 50s and a couple of days it got to the 90s.  This is a tent camping tour, so the weather was perfect fot it.  This year they had us do the Enchanted Highway route.  There were lots of rolling hills, some really long climbs, nothing too hard but 2 to 3 miles long.  There were a few 40 mph descents, headwinds, tailwinds, sprinkles, a little bit of everything.  The host towns did a great job of providing school or park grounds and other amenities for us.  Did I say the food was great?  Oh yeah, the French dip meal in Hebron was fantastic.  So was their famous "cow drop".  They limit the ride to 500 but there were only 282 riders from 25 states and 3 Canadian provinces.  DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Re: CANDISC report
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2012, 8:38pm

Shame on me for almost forgetting a big highlight.  Meeting and conversing several times with Barcroft pioneer Bill Cook!  He was riding his fwd  Ti Oregon.  A beautiful machine.  I learned a good bit of how he started his company and how he dealt with the Chinese to build his frames.  He is such nice fellow and a real gentleman.  Several times I would talk the recumbent talk with him and those curious about bents would approach asking questions about his bike.  He always responded to them in a thoughtful manner and answer all of their questions.  It was cool just to hang around him.

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2012, 9:52pm

Glad you had fun, DJ. Getting to talk with Bill Cook sounds way cool.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2012, 6:18pm

Oh man, I am jealous!  I did CANDISC in 96 (Ride the River) and 97 (cycle the flyway).  I have wanted to go back ever since, but life has interfered.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print