Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 9:16pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tour of the Wichitas (Read 1070 times)
bentMSrider

rbent member

Tour of the Wichitas
Jun 23rd, 2012, 5:27pm

Did the Tour of the Wichitas today.  First time for me, although I've ridden around in the Wichita Mountains/Meets area on several occasions.  Never tried to go up mount Scott...somehow always seem to miss that turn  Smiley  

Good ride today, good people, some really good roads, and some that make Texas chip-seal seem like heaven.  

About mile 30 of 53 my legs started cramping up.  Was able to finish, but was far from comfortable.  Anyone have any preventative suggestions on that?

WWW   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Tour of the Wichitas
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2012, 8:42pm

Quote from bentMSrider on Jun 23rd, 2012, 5:27pm:
Did the Tour of the Wichitas today.  First time for me, although I've ridden around in the Wichita Mountains/Meets area on several occasions.  Never tried to go up mount Scott...somehow always seem to miss that turn  Smiley  

Good ride today, good people, some really good roads, and some that make Texas chip-seal seem like heaven.  

About mile 30 of 53 my legs started cramping up.  Was able to finish, but was far from comfortable.  Anyone have any preventative suggestions on that?

There are several solutions for you to explore to handle cramps.  I, myself, have been dealing with cramps since I can remember.  Over the years, I have found that cramps happen when I greatly increase activity all at once.  When I slowly ramp up my activity, I can safely do up to twice my normal activity, or do normal activity in much higher heat, of course, making sure my nutrition has potassium and other electrolytes.

Some have found great success drinking pickle juice.  Bursting with cramp-halting electrolytes, pickle juice is heavy artillery, but I can't bring myself to drink brine.  I prefer eating pickles.  You can keep pickle juice with you, or pre-load beforehand.

A real compact way to keep electrolytes with you is in seltzer tab form.  During a ride, just plunk a tab in a bottle, (it's preferable to have at least two bottles--one for electrolyte drinks, and a water-only bottle.)  Here are some choices among the tabs:
http://tinyurl.com/7aomcro

Myself, I just have a diet with a good supply of minerals and salts that provide the body with stores of electrolytes pre-ride. Here is a good list to get you going good nutrition:  http://tinyurl.com/7zwjbu9

Pre-ride, after the ride, or after every couple of hours or so during a ride, I will down a Gatorade FUEL pouch, or if I have the luggage capacity, I will keep a bottle of Gatorade with me.   Not really into GU and other stuff.  No money for it, anyway.

Get plenty of sleep, and drink water, and you should be fine!
. . . . now get out there!   Smiley

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
shellenefoster

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2012, 8:35pm

If you are riding in extreme heat for long miles, please remember to carry electrolytes with you - and take them.  The water safari this year had a gentleman die from drinking too much water without enough electrolytes (hyponatremia)

Like was stated before, there are many different forms that you can carry.  Additives to your water (I can't take these), capsules, chews, etc.  Personally, I use the capsules and in an emergency, you can always open the capsule and suffer the taste.  Typical electrolytes that should be included are:  
sodium, calcium, potassium, magnesium and chloride.  Some decent ratios can vary, but .2 sodium, .3 chloride, .25 calcium, .125 magnesium, and .125 potassium works well for me.

Be safe out there!

IP Logged
bentMSrider

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2012, 2:38pm

Thanks for the info.  Went back to drinking pickle juice.  Hate the taste of it. But I hate cramps worse...

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print