Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 4th, 2024, 6:00pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike Mount for an Android - Fail (Read 959 times)
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Bike Mount for an Android - Fail
Aug 3rd, 2012, 10:44am

I recently acquired my first "smart phone" and decided I wanted to try using it for GPS on my rides. First, I discovered that it is much better to have an Iphone than an Android if you want to find readily available accessories. Every store in the country has a wall full of accessories for Iphones because they are uniform. Androids, on the other hand come in every conceivable size, shape and configuration. Alas, my provider does not carry Iphones and therein begins my problem. I began my search locally but only found a couple of mounts that might work.  They looked cheap and/ or unstable and I couldn't find anyone that could tell me if they would actually work so I passed. Online searching yielded better results and I thought I'd found the perfect mount on Ebay. Listed as specifically usable for the Samsung Galaxy S2, I ordered one with eager anticipation. The mount had to travel from the UK so it took about a week to get it, only for me to discover that it does not fit my phone. I double checked the ad to make sure I hadn't misread it. No, it clearly lists the mount as being for an SGS2. A bit perturbed, I fired off an email to the seller, expressing my unhappiness at having a mount the is quite worthless for my phone. I haven't yet heard back from the seller. It will be interesting to hear what they say. Yesterday, however, I had a moment of epiphany at the Radio Shack which left me even more annoyed, but not at the seller in Britain. I stopped in to pick up a pack of screen savers for my phone. When I told the young lady behind the counter what I needed she asked what kind of phone I had. I told her then she asked what provider I use. Puzzled I asked why that was relevant. Turns out that, while several carriers sell Samsung Galaxy S2 phones, they each make them slightly different. Of the three models she had at Radio Shack ( Sprint, Verizon and AT&T), none were the same size as mine and none of the screen savers fit my phone. This explains a lot about the mount but makes trying to find one even more of an annoyance. Now, I not only have to find a mount for a SGS2 but I also have to make sure it fits a T-Mobile SGS2. DANG! At this point, I think I'll just stick with my Sigma computer and dead reckoning.

IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Re:  Bike Mount for an Android - Fail
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2012, 12:00pm

As a pilot, dead reckoning ALWAYS works!  And the last time I flew (some time ago) the FAA was still at the point where GPS was an auxiliary navigation system, even though everyone used it as a primary.

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2012, 12:01pm by JimFPU »  

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2012, 3:00pm

Performance Bike in Plano on 75 had a nice one last time I looked. It was made to take many different shapes of phone and the mount appeared stable.  I use a gps on mine bike though.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2012, 4:50pm

I use a universal mount for my Razer:  A saddlebag.  Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2012, 6:30pm

I have NO gps, that is why I ride with the Clowns around White Rock lake. Can't get lost that way!!! GO CLOWNS! Smiley

IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2012, 7:25pm

I saw one at (gasp) RBM. My Android EVO3D fit in it.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2012, 8:22pm

Quote from kenbent6 on Aug 3rd, 2012, 6:30pm:
I have NO gps, that is why I ride with the Clowns around White Rock lake. Can't get lost that way!!! GO CLOWNS! Smiley

We don't need no stinking GPS. Our leader, Clown #1, has two GPS units on his bike. All we have to do is follow him.   Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2012, 10:44pm

I've got a handful of Handy Andy's; you may want to try one.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print