Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 11:19pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Don't mess with tradition! (Read 1707 times)
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Don't mess with tradition!
Jun 17th, 2012, 4:32pm

We have a tradition in our house that mom/dad get's the last hug/kiss when we part ways...today my youngest one stole that last one...

So I'm off to meet Key and Vic to try a 45 miler or so.  I got 3.something into it after the crushed gravel Melissa Road, was making the turn at Weston...lots of loose gravel there and I know this because this is the reverse of one of my regular commute routes.  Slowed to take the turn...

One hour earlier: scavenger hunt through the house to find my Father's day gift from my kids ($75 towards anything I want at HHH, and I was told I couldn't spend it on the kids).  OK so I can still make the ride with Vic and Key, the family is going to the pool.   Cool.  And the weather is looking like it's going to stay cool, nice breeze-great day for a ride.  Checked the bike over, filled the insulated Camelback, adjusted the seat/new Aerotrunk so it wasn't rubbing the tire, aired up the tires...wanted less rolling resistance...funny thing-I even checked my emergency kit...I never do that.  Getting used to the more upright position of the seat due to the bag placement.  Kinda like it too.  As JayG once told me I could get a bit more power sitting upright anyway.  So it's feeling good.  

The family is in changing into swimsuits, the little one is out first and is waiting by dad.  Texted Vic to tell her where I would meet them.  CJ says:"Wait dad, kiss!"  I said:"Mom has to get the last one..."  But I'm in a hurry, and don't want to keep the others waiting..."Pass that on to mom, OK?"  And off I go.

Just over 3 miles later:

DON"T MESS WITH TRADITION!!!

(BTW, a passing car saw me go down and stopped to make sure I was OK.  Banged up but OK, so I told her all was well...thought that was nice!)  

And me being as cheap as I am, looked to see if I had torn my shorts and was glad I changed into the short sleeve...of course the long sleeve may have prevented as much damage.

BTW Jay-the right Frog held me TIGHT!!!  I had to pick up the bike so I could unclip!!  LOL! 

Finished with 6.1 miles, the last 3 were very painful-had to traverse the gravel road back home with all this pain...

« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2012, 4:34pm by JimFPU »  

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Don't mess with tradition!
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2012, 7:00pm

Ouch!  Sorry you didn't get to ride with us Jim.  We had a great ride.  Still, looking at your arm and hip, it looks like a wise decision to head home and get cleaned up.  Hope you heal up fast!

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2012, 8:53pm

Everything will bee fine.  Looks to be mostly superficial.  Just broad abrasions, nothing too deep.  I was going pretty slow...then like a patient from a hospital bed, I complained all afternoon how God put up a huge umbrella to block the sun for a great riding day...Kim told me to go find y'all, but I was still hurting a bit too.  I'll be back on the road tomorrow.  Sorry I missed out.

« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2012, 9:43pm by JimFPU »  

'12 ICE Sprint X 26

WWW   IP Logged
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2012, 11:46pm

That looks familiar!I got one of those once when someone inadvertantly forced me off of the trail and I tried to get back on at a shallow angle.  

Lesson one: if you go off the trail, go way off and use caution getting back on.

Lesson two: On the can of Lanacane, where it says it's a pain relieving antiseptic spray, that's a lie! The alcohol in there will have you screaming hypersonically for a long time before 'caine part starts to have any effect.  

Lesson three: When they don't make bandaids big enough, you can make your own huge ones with nonstick gauze pads and first aid tape.

Lesson four: You never realize how much you would miss your skin, until you're missing a few square inches of it.  

Keep it clean, and heal fast!

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2012, 12:52pm

Gravel on road = bad
Water on road = bad
Either or both while turning == very bad

Very sorry, Jim!!!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2012, 1:47pm

Not being able to unclip when crashing is how I broke my ankle 3 yrs ago. And it was on a Stratus Xp that Tony now has. I glad to see your ok.

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2012, 2:03pm

Staying clipped in is probably what saved me from further damage!  It happened so fast, I was ridinig, then I was laying on the ground!  There was not enough time for anything to flash through the memory...is that the processor getting slower, or was it really THAT fast?  Smiley  Smiley

'12 ICE Sprint X 26

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print