Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 9:22pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just Now Discovering Why the Police Can't Help (Read 2590 times)
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Just Now Discovering Why the Police Can't Help
Jun 16th, 2012, 8:46pm

The police are so often feckless when it comes to the offenses that motorists commit, that it's given me real pause to figure it out, and I think I see the problem.  Pretty simple really.  The police are empowered by the government.  The laws they enforce are from the government.  The government is a representative of the populace, and who are the populace?  The motorists.  So, when it seems the police are really just badged motorists, you're not far from the truth.  The opinion of law will only change when those who make the laws are inconvenienced.  When the people in power are comfortable, nothing changes.

In a proper world,
::  Cyclists would, after sunset, of their own accord, use adequate lighting.
::  Motorists would not only refrain from reckless behavior, they would be courteous to common, as well as uncommon HPVs.  
::  Cyclists would stop at red lights, and at least slow to under 10 mph at STOP signs and YIELD signs.  Filtering through a stopped line of cars would not be practiced because of the unseemliness of it.  
::   Motorists would not display various following behaviors.
::  Etc., etc.

Go ahead and plink at the cans I've set up, but for a moment before you begin shooting, think of the paucity of deaths...or even of accidents, when courtesy and politeness reign, instead of presumptuousness and bullying.

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Just Now Discovering Why the Police Can't Help
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2012, 10:25pm

Quote from Action Lad on Jun 16th, 2012, 8:46pm:
The police are so often feckless when it comes to the offenses that motorists commit, that it's given me real pause to figure it out, and I think I see the problem.  Pretty simple really.  The police are empowered by the government.  The laws they enforce are from the government.  The government is a representative of the populace, and who are the populace?  The motorists.  So, when it seems the police are really just badged motorists, you're not far from the truth.  The opinion of law will only change when those who make the laws are inconvenienced.  When the people in power are comfortable, nothing changes.

In a proper world,
::  Cyclists would, after sunset, of their own accord, use adequate lighting.
::  Motorists would not only refrain from reckless behavior, they would be courteous to common, as well as uncommon HPVs.
::  Cyclists would stop at red lights, and at least slow to under 10 mph at STOP signs and YIELD signs.  Filtering through a stopped line of cars would not be practiced because of the unseemliness of it.
::   Motorists would not display various following behaviors.
::  Etc., etc.

Go ahead and plink at the cans I've set up, but for a moment before you begin shooting, think of the paucity of deaths...or even of accidents, when courtesy and politeness reign, instead of presumptuousness and bullying.

I don't know what it's like up in your area but I've ridden through Coppell, Flower Mound Grapevine, DFW Airport, White Rock Lake  etc for the last 10 years and the only problems I recall are 2 or 3 motorists yelling at me while passing and one night where someone threw something at me while passing.

I've been yelled at more driving the truck Smiley

IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Just Now Discovering Why the Police Can't Help
Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2012, 10:37pm

You've been fortunate/blessed, Mark.  Also, you are on a bike -- a recumbent bike to be sure -- but still something halfway familiar to the average motoron.  Tell ya what, during rush hour, take that corridor of Alma Rd. in Plano from Parker all the way up to 121.  Could be an eye opener.  Oh, and the various following behaviors bug me just as much as anyone throwing stuff or cursing at me.  
Good to hear from you.    

« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2012, 10:39pm by Action Lad »  

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print