Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 9:23pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ride for Heroes (Read 2280 times)
Bud_Bent

Ride for Heroes
Apr 21st, 2012, 3:46pm

I headed out to Aledo this morning and did the 73 mile route of the Ride for Heroes ride. I hadn't done this ride before, but Aledo is fairly close to home and I figured I could use some hill climbing work on Parker County roads right about now.

It was the chilliest morning we've had in a while, 44 degrees as I arrived in Aledo. I was already wearing arm coolers under my jersey, so I just added leg warmers and full fingered gloves, knowing it would warm up quickly. Sure enough, the hills kept me from getting too cold before it warmed up outside.

This is one of those routes that really doesn't have any flat stretches. It's up one hill and down another for most of the 73 miles. That makes it impossible for me to do much drafting. I was pretty much on my own, watching all the uprights pass me on the uphills, then blasting past everyone on the downhills. I noticed though, that the further I got into the ride, the more people I was passing on uphills. All the miles I ride does serve to give me good stamina in these rides.

Recumbents were hard to come by today. I saw rbenters Vicky and Bob before the ride (great seeing y'all!), passed a woman on a low racer early in the ride (was that Shelley?), and saw a man on a faired LWB briefly at the start, but that was it. I saw Bob again just after the ride. He had done the 62 mile route and had already eaten and was just about ready to leave as I finished the ride and got ready to go eat. They give you a meal voucher at registration, and serve burgers after the ride. It was either a very good cheeseburger (possible) or I was just very starved after the ride (more likely), but I did enjoy that burger.

I wasn't exactly a speed demon on the bike today, making two stops (and having to wait in line too long for a porta-potty each time), and finishing the 73.3 miles in 5:03. That was to be expected, since I'm still at my winter weight and haven't been riding a lot of hills lately. Some of the roads were rougher than I would like, but I have to say that I enjoyed the ride and will probably do it again. I'm never in great shape in April, and this may be a good first pay ride for each year, to remind me how far I have to go by HHH time.

Ride for Heroes 73 mile route.

« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2012, 7:45am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: Ride for Heroes
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2012, 5:03pm

Good write up & good cause, Bud. Good job!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2012, 6:34pm

Yep, I was there.  Shellbear and I leapfrogged eachother most of the ride.  I spent most of the first 10 miles with two fingers on the rear brake lever, to keep from running over people on the downhills.  One stretch of Airport Rd. was flat enough for me to start passing people, especially with a slight headwind.  Still, one hill early on was too steep for me, so I just got off and walked the bike up ("walking is just another gear," Pansy Palmetto).  At the top I was ready to go and not breathing hard, unlike some of the people who had passed me on it!  Still, I don't think I've ever done another route with so much time over 20 mph for a mere 15 mph average.  The guy on the LWB may have been Gary, with a Ti Rush.  I chatted with him a couple of minutes after the ride and told him to get on RBENT.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2012, 8:24pm

I saw the Ti lwb, and rode briefly with a different Bob on an ortour easy. 6:06 for my 73 mi, and the burger WAS tasty!

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2012, 10:17pm

Great job, everyone involved.   Smiley
Gee, really no level parts for 73 miles?!  Gulp!

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2012, 7:37am

There were indeed some tough hills. It was a reminder of why I have a 26T granny chainring on the Corsa. I was in that granny gear three times on this ride. I was dropped by a dog on two consecutive hills. He ran along with all the bikes for two or three miles. I'd pass him on the downhills, but he'd run right past me on the uphills. There were some great views from the top of some of the hills.  

The toughest hill for me, probably because it was so late in the ride, was the hill on Old Springtown Road at mile 50, just a few miles after the 62 and 73 mile routes split. But in spite of the fact that I was in the granny gear for a short stretch of that hill, I still passed three uprights on it. One guy, who obviously didn't have nearly the gearing I did, was pedaling a 40 cadence or so. There's no way I could do that and keep pedaling.

« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2012, 7:53am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2012, 7:57am

Bud I went up a couple of those hills yesterday at 3.4mph!  Smiley  

I think if I had anything lower than the 30x34 on the Giro, I'd fall over from lack of fwd momentum!

Schlitter Encore
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #7 - Apr 22nd, 2012, 8:26am

Quote from Monkeywrangler22 on Apr 22nd, 2012, 7:57am:
Bud I went up a couple of those hills yesterday at 3.4mph!  Smiley

I think if I had anything lower than the 30x34 on the Giro, I'd fall over from lack of fwd momentum!

But even with a 26x34 combo, I was never below 4 mph. I obviously pedal a faster cadence than you.

A faster cadence keeps the stress on your cardiopulmonary system rather than leg muscles. I think that's better for me, in spite of the fact that with half a lung missing, my cardiopulmonary system isn't that great. There's no doubt that all this riding has helped a lot, though.

Here's a graph from my Garmin, showing how up and down this ride is. Note the long climb on Old Springtown Road at mile 50 that had me huffing and puffing.

« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2012, 9:07am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #8 - Apr 22nd, 2012, 6:13pm

That was definitely the hilliest ride I've ever done on a recumbent!!  I started questioning my own sanity around mil 61 out of 73.  Ha ha.  I saw Bob (of the Bob and Joanne duo) on his Catrike just before the start and, as Musashi Bob mentioned we saw each other at the start and along the route.  I made it back to the finish just in time to see Bob and Joanne leaving (they'd done the 44 mile and hung around for the festivities.  I was so glad that they had food left: I've done many pay rides where no food is saved for the late finishers/long distance riders, including the Lancaster ride last weekend.  Sad  The Ride for Heroes folks always put on a good event!  It was definitely a good training ride for the MS150 in two weeks!

Bud, that is an impressive time!  I stopped twice before mile 50 and twice between mile 50 and 73 (those hills were KILLING ME) and finished in 5:32:25.  Good job, all!

Oh, also, I was cursing all the way up that hill series at mile 50.  It felt like it was 10 miles long, glad to see it was only about 3.  LOL

« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2012, 6:16pm by shellbear »  

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Apr 23rd, 2012, 11:28am

I posted my write up on the ride, along with a Garmin Connect link at my blog.
The link is below, in my signature.  Wink

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2012, 11:29am by Monkeywrangler22 »  

Schlitter Encore
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #10 - Apr 23rd, 2012, 12:44pm

Bud, that graph just looks gross to me... Smiley

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Apr 23rd, 2012, 3:08pm

It's funny, but I don't even remember that 3mile climb at mile 50...I remember the 62/73 split and going up the 73 route, but the hill has been blocked from memory I guess!  Must've been really bad if I can't remember it--you know how they say the brain often blocks memory of traumatic incidents!

And Bud, I am sure you pedal a faster cadence than I do.  I don't know why my turnover is so slow.  It used to be 80-85 on my Masi, way back when, but now it just doesn't get there.  I wish it did...

And wasn't that little cliff in Lakeview fun?  Gads, 16%, plus the turn near the top, and the photographer lurking there to make you lose concentration!

Schlitter Encore
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #12 - Apr 23rd, 2012, 9:11pm

Quote from Monkeywrangler22 on Apr 23rd, 2012, 3:08pm:
And Bud, I am sure you pedal a faster cadence than I do.  I don't know why my turnover is so slow.  It used to be 80-85 on my Masi, way back when, but now it just doesn't get there.  I wish it did...

You might be a good candidate for shorter crank arms. Some people think that helps them maintain a higher cadence.

Quote from Monkeywrangler22 on Apr 23rd, 2012, 3:08pm:
And wasn't that little cliff in Lakeview fun?  Gads, 16%, plus the turn near the top, and the photographer lurking there to make you lose concentration!

Ah yes, at about mile 13, as I recall. That was the first time in the ride that I used my granny chainring. That photographer must have captured some grimaced faces.

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2012, 9:12pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print