Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 29th, 2024, 11:31pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Lancaster Rally -- Sat April 14th, 9AM (Read 9968 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Lancaster Rally -- Sat April 14th, 9AM
Reply #30 - Mar 18th, 2012, 8:27pm

Just did one yesterday, matter of fact...  that south wind was getting nasty after noon... There were 19 of us, with 5 splitting off for the 42 miler after the RS2 point on Sugar Ridge Rd.  We were rolling at 18-20 most of the day, even into the wind (with regrouping, of course), and I wound up with a 16 average.

One doesn't have to be a GDB club member to participate in ANY of the club's rides -- they just figure that if you're enjoying yourself with the group on a regular basis, you'll find the membership fee worth it - and the fee gives you access to the discussion board.

The prerides, however, are typically advertised to be a certain expected rolling speed (as this one was on the forum) if one is going to join in.  They will probably do another one in 2 weeks, I'll post the info about it here...  It's worth at least going out for the 42!

My pics from yesterday are here:  http://www.greaterdallasbicyclists.com/gallery/rpr317

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #31 - Mar 18th, 2012, 8:56pm

Sounds faster than what I can hang with.  Maybe I'll just wait until the official rally.  I'd hate to spoil all the fun before the "real" day gets here.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #32 - Mar 18th, 2012, 9:00pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Mar 18th, 2012, 8:27pm:
Just did one yesterday, matter of fact...  that south wind was getting nasty after noon... There were 19 of us, with 5 splitting off for the 42 miler after the RS2 point on Sugar Ridge Rd.  We were rolling at 18-20 most of the day, even into the wind (with regrouping, of course), and I wound up with a 16 average.

One doesn't have to be a GDB club member to participate in ANY of the club's rides -- they just figure that if you're enjoying yourself with the group on a regular basis, you'll find the membership fee worth it - and the fee gives you access to the discussion board.

The prerides, however, are typically advertised to be a certain expected rolling speed (as this one was on the forum) if one is going to join in.  They will probably do another one in 2 weeks, I'll post the info about it here...  It's worth at least going out for the 42!

My pics from yesterday are here:  http://www.greaterdallasbicyclists.com/gallery/rpr317

Paul, some questions:

Photo 13 of 47. Is there not a long climb on a main road preceeding the side road climb shown in the photo? This is the first of the two tough climbs, isn't it?  

Photo 40 of 47. Is the new road surface shown in the photo smooth asphalt or chipseal?

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #33 - Mar 22nd, 2012, 4:13pm

Quote from jayg on Mar 18th, 2012, 9:00pm:

Paul, some questions:

Photo 13 of 47. Is there not a long climb on a main road preceeding the side road climb shown in the photo? This is the first of the two tough climbs, isn't it?

Photo 40 of 47. Is the new road surface shown in the photo smooth asphalt or chipseal?

There is a short climb up to the turn at Sugar Ridge Road, but nothing serious -- and it's preceeded by a nice downhill.  Photo 13 shows the first climb on Sugar Ridge, about 100 yards in.  There are random rollers in the 4 miles of Sugar Ridge Rd, but definitely one tougher climb after the one pictured.  Just gear down and spin it out...

The new road surface is SMOOOOOTTTTHHHHHH

Pictures 36 and 37 show a VERY nice downhill, that I typically hit 40mph on...  If you do the 42 mile route, it's shortly after you make a right turn at RS 2 -- if you're on the 62 mile route, you'll get there, too, but 20 miles later.

PB

« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2012, 4:19pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #34 - Mar 22nd, 2012, 4:45pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Mar 22nd, 2012, 4:13pm:
Quote from jayg on Mar 18th, 2012, 9:00pm:

Paul, some questions:

There is a short climb up to the turn at Sugar Ridge Road, but nothing serious -- and it's preceeded by a nice downhill.  Photo 13 shows the first climb on Sugar Ridge, about 100 yards in.  There are random rollers in the 4 miles of Sugar Ridge Rd, but definitely one tougher climb after the one pictured.  Just gear down and spin it out...

The new road surface is SMOOOOOTTTTHHHHHH

Pictures 36 and 37 show a VERY nice downhill, that I typically hit 40mph on...  If you do the 42 mile route, it's shortly after you make a right turn at RS 2 -- if you're on the 62 mile route, you'll get there, too, but 20 miles later.

PB

Thanks, Paul.  

Looking forward to riding that new asphalt. My Carbent loves smooth asphalt. Zoom!

Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #35 - Apr 2nd, 2012, 5:44pm

Eh, no joy for me....Scout campout that weekend.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #36 - Apr 13th, 2012, 8:26pm

See y'all at Lancaster in the morning. Don't forget to bring your granny gears (or walking shoes) with you.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #37 - Apr 13th, 2012, 8:36pm

Quote from jayg on Apr 13th, 2012, 8:26pm:
See y'all at Lancaster in the morning. Don't forget to bring your granny gears (or walking shoes) with you.  Smiley

Won't see me - wish you were though.  Gonna miss it.

Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #38 - Apr 14th, 2012, 6:04pm

I may have worn out my granny but I mad it - 62 miles.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #39 - Apr 14th, 2012, 6:21pm

Quote from jcsadowski on Apr 14th, 2012, 6:04pm:

Apparently, the hill-walking roadies we saw wore out their grannies early on.  Smiley  

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #40 - Apr 14th, 2012, 6:58pm

Quote from jayg on Apr 14th, 2012, 6:21pm:
Quote from jcsadowski on Apr 14th, 2012, 6:04pm:

Apparently, the hill-walking roadies we saw wore out their grannies early on.  Smiley

And they got passed by a couple of old guys ...... On recumbents no less!

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #41 - Apr 14th, 2012, 7:59pm

Quote from TonyWard on Apr 14th, 2012, 6:58pm:

And they got passed by a couple of old guys ......

HEY!

Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #42 - Apr 14th, 2012, 8:04pm

Headwinds and tailwinds were no problem but those crosswinds, especially on those rough country roads were murder.
As for old guys . . Be nice....

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #43 - Apr 14th, 2012, 8:28pm

I am so proud of myself for not having to walk up any of the hills you all warned me about!  I definitely hit my minimum speed to avoid tipping over though.  Ha ha.  I had a great time despite the wind.  I wish the BBQ truck hadn't run out of food before I got back to the finish just before 2pm though.  Sad  Here's my ride data if anyone's interested: http://j.mp/HHLxCT

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2012, 8:30pm by shellbear »  

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #44 - Apr 15th, 2012, 12:03pm

Enjoyed seeing everyone out at Lancaster yesterday. Only saw Shelly at the start but enjoyed riding with John and Jay for a while. I wasn't sure how well I'd do on the hills but I never had to walk so I consider that a plus, although I was painfully s-l-o-w on a particularly nasty little grade near the exotic animals. Next year, I vote for a rest stop at the winery...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print