Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 29th, 2024, 5:23pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
TTTT2012 and the Texas Ultra Cup Challenge (Read 3587 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

TTTT2012 and the Texas Ultra Cup Challenge
Jan 25th, 2012, 7:52am

(forwarded from Dan Driscoll)

The date has been set; applications are arriving, and anticipation growing.  This will be TTTT’s 10th anniversary; we will be celebrating with a full moon, Tech shirts and a good time.  Come see old friends and make some new ones while challenging yourself.  But, we've added something new!

The 2012 Texas Ultra Cup Challenge

New for 2012, TTTT will be a part of the 2012 Texas Ultra Cup Challenge, which will be a 3 race series, all in Texas, with one race in the spring, one race in the summer and TTTT in the fall.  Pick your poison; you can compete in any one of 4 divisions, the 6-hour, the 12-hour, the 24-hour or the open division.  Presumably one would race three 6 hrs or 12 hrs or 24 hrs either solo or as a team, or a combination of events in the “Open Series”.  Each rider will earn points depending on finish placement; the one with the most points, at the end of the last race of the series, is crowned “The Champion”.  There will also be first place awards for each category of that division.  Every rider that competes in all 3 races will receive a classy award.  Within each division will be categories for male, female, recumbents, tandems, HPV’s and teams (solo only for the 6-hour).  All 3 races are similar in that they are conducive to self supported racing, not requiring crew and not allowing follow vehicles.  This may be much easier than you think, with 4 different divisions and all of the different combinations of categories within each division, there could be 100 first place awards.

We have formed this race series in an attempt to make Ultra racing/riding more fun, more competitive, add another Award to your Trophy case, entice you to do more than one Ultra event a year, urge you to travel this great state we call Texas, allow you to bond with fellow like-minded riders and to help grow the sport.  We feel like The 2012 Texas Ultra Cup Challenge has the ability to do all this and more.  By teaming up with your comrades, sharing travel expenses and crew, maybe even a tent, we hope that friendships will be formed, memories created and a new high in Ultra riding achieved.  Knowing that the team next to you will most likely be at the next race in the series should create more camaraderie.  One aspect of this series that is especially appealing is that it rewards consistency -- the Overall Champion may not be the fastest, but may be the one that stays healthy, plans wisely, makes it to all three races and has a good race at each.

The 3 races included in this year’s 2012 Texas Ultra Cup Challenge are:

Bessie’s Creek – April 14-15, 2012 – Brookshire, Texas
www.bessiescreek24.com

24 Hours in the Canyon – June 2-3, 2012 – Palo Duro Canyon, Texas www.24hoursinthecanyon.org

The Texas Time Trials – September 27-29, 2012 – Glen Rose, Texas
www.tt24tt.com .

Why these 3 races?  All three contain a 6 hour race, a 12 hour race and a 24 hour race.  All three are easily “self crewed” and do not require an expensive follow entourage.  All three are in Texas.  The races are reasonably spaced out to allow for recovery time.  All are what I call 'family friendly' races, consisting of multiple laps on a single looped course.  Crew and family members are encouraged to camp out and be a part of the adventure.  There is no formal entry required and we will track you after the first race.  This could be an Epic adventure that will be talked about for decades.  

However, you can always just do the TTT:

The Texas Time Trials 2012
September 27-29, 2012

The Texas Time Trials will again be having 5 events including: The Tejas 500, The Iron Butt 24-Hour Time Trial, The Tin Butt 12-Hour Challenge, The 6-Hour Shoot Out and The 26.5 Mile Sprint.  The Awards Bash will round out the event on Saturday evening when we hand out those awesome trophies plus the Texas Ultra Cup Challenge awards.  The same TTTT trophy is received by all finishers, for first all the way to last place- just the plaque writing is different .

If you have not raced at Glen Rose, you will love the benefits.  There are all the comforts you need including restaurants and hotels within walking distance of The Glen Rose City Park, our start/finish.

Mark your calendars, call your friends, form your team, check out the website and mail in your applications.  

If entering the race this year is not for you, join our group of terrific volunteers and still enjoy the fun.  To volunteer just send us your name, telephone number, e-mail address and shirt size to dansmark@flash.net.  All the information that you need is on www.TT24TT.com and remember to join the discussion group, to get the most current Texas Time Trials news, by clicking on the link below.  

http://groups.google.com/group/texastimetrials?hl=en

We look forward to seeing you there!

Happy Trails,
Dan Driscoll

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: TTTT2012 and the Texas Ultra Cup Challenge
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2012, 9:17pm

That Brookshire ride looks interesting, I know that area and it's extremely flat with excellent roads.

IP Logged
airmoose

rbent member

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2012, 9:02am

Who is planning to ride at Bessie's Creek? In spite of my total lack of preparation I am going to be signing up for the 12hr.  

Just signed up, now I'm committed (or at least should be)...

« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2012, 9:18am by airmoose »  
Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2012, 9:18am

Quote from airmoose on Mar 30th, 2012, 9:02am:
Who is planning to ride at Bessie's Creek? In spite of my total lack of preparation I am going to be signing up for the 12hr.

I am kicking around the 6 hour, if only so I can drive down, ride and drive back.  If I do that, I'll be on my funny bike though, not my 'bent.

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:22am

What day are you going down?  If you'd like company, I'm considering going down to crew for the 24 hour and perhaps ride the 6 hour - SLOWLY.

Quote from airmoose on Mar 30th, 2012, 9:02am:

Just signed up, now I'm committed (or at least should be)...

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
airmoose

rbent member

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2012, 7:30pm

Going from Midland, so route down (really more "across") will either go through Austin or San Antonio (450-500 miles either way). No hotel booked yet, so times/plans totally open.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2012, 8:55pm

Gotcha.  Makes no sense, then.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2012, 7:43am

Steve and I are planning on all three.

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:23am

Steve & Peggy - if you know anyone looking for crew, let me know.  I'm only going to race the 6 hour event for BC, assuming I find someone to ride with and share expenses.  SO I'll have spare time to donate to other racers.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:13pm

Greg we only have a king room, We not sure yet what event we are goig to do, since it only 2 weeks after HOS 200.  With 2 bike I don't think we will have room. But I hope you get to come down would enjoy see you. If we do the 24 hour we might enjoy some help with bottles.

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2012, 10:54am

Oh I wouldn't expect to share a tom with you guys.  Only someone flying solo.  Depending on which race you do, I'd be overjoyed to help.  I think I have a room  lined up anyway.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #11 - Apr 6th, 2012, 7:49am

I may attempt the 6 hour again...  not committed to it yet, though.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #12 - Apr 6th, 2012, 8:05pm

Come on down it would be so fun to have   Smiley to  a bunch of us togther again!!!!!!!!!!!

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #13 - Apr 9th, 2012, 8:18pm

It will be good to see old friends again.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #14 - Apr 15th, 2012, 5:59pm

Peggy & I had a great time this weekend as a 2 person relay team at Bessie's Creek (Brookshire, Tx)TT race. The course consists of a 21 mile loop (start/finish is the LaQuinta Inn-Brookshire),we head out along I-10 interstate service road to SR 359 south to Fulshear, right  on 1093,4 miles to Simonton, right onto FM 1489 back to Brookshire.

The 7 miles on 359 to Fulshear (from Brookshire) was BRUTAL. The wind was sustained at 30mph, gusting to 40mph. There was a section of farmland that had so much dust/dirt being blow around that the visibility
was reduced & looked like scenes from the dust bowl.  

The race is comprised of 3 categories-6hr, 12 hr, & 24 hr. Peggy & I decided to enter the event as a 2 person team. The multiple loops into the 7 mile headwind took a toll of all riders (but mentally & physically).
Once you made it to Fulshear, the wind was a crosswind, then a nice push to the finish. But it never seems that the tailwinds are as much of benefit as the damage the headwinds can do to a riders.  

The event had a total of 66 entrants. I don't know the DNF percentage, but if was HIGH.  

Peggy & I manged to finish 2nd overall (1st- 2 person team) with a total of 454 miles, a 4 person team beat us by 22 MINUTES. Bryan Mckenney set a course record on a single speed bike (madman). Greg Gross cranked out a great effort in the 6 hour (strong like bull). Great job rbenters.

Peggy rode her butt off. It was good to see her lay it on the line & give everything she had (great teammate). Those were tough conditions (oh, and it was mid 80's with about 100% humidity).  

One of the most bizarre moments occurred at about 3:00am (Sunday) as I was awaiting Peggy to return from her lap, I look up & I see a horse running free on FM 1489, then trot down the 1-10 service road. SO Peggy comes to the start/finish, we make the relay pass, I head out of the hotel parking to see a 1,800 lb horse  standing in both lanes of the service road. 18 hrs into the event (I'm exhausted & not really not coherent) I gingerly ride by the horse hoping he does not bolt & take me out in the process. I click at him & he just looks at me like I'm the one that doesn't belong in this scene. Come to think about it, the horse might have been right.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print