Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 28th, 2024, 3:03am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 
Send Topic Print
W.I.B.T. Thread (Read 214763 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: W.I.B.T. Thread
Reply #630 - Apr 18th, 2016, 11:18am

Purchased three 650c x 28mm Serfas Urbana tires, from R+E cycles...  After almost having a stroke trying to get a blown Conti GP4000 SII on and off the rim, I decided that the struggle wasn't worth it - even with a bead jack -- plus, going (back) to a 28mm on the back of the Xstream is probably a good thing...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #631 - Apr 18th, 2016, 11:26am

Decided to "DIY" my own PVC trike stand, based upon this photo:

I used 1" pipe, with about $35 worth of material, had some fun calculating sine/cosine/tangent, and it looks like it's close enough for government work.  Will put up pic later!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Mdicke

rbent member

Reply #632 - Apr 18th, 2016, 10:23pm

Nice job!  I was thinking something similar out of wood to set on a table top, but I like the pipe better.  Let us know how sturdy it is to do some heavy work like removing pedals.  With a few tweaks might even be able to use for lifting cradle with ceiling bike hoist.

Rans F5
Catrike 700
Specialized Allez (DF)
  IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #633 - Apr 19th, 2016, 10:18am

I did the same sort of thing with square tubing and a welder.    I wanted something portable and sturdy enough that when I beat on some bike part in frustration it would hold up.   I found a design online (can't even remember where now) and more or less copied it with some changes I found along the way.  

I built a second one for holding velos .. which instead of arms has a sling.  

Quote from Mdicke on Apr 18th, 2016, 10:23pm:
Nice job!  I was thinking something similar out of wood to set on a table top, but I like the pipe better.  Let us know how sturdy it is to do some heavy work like removing pedals.  With a few tweaks might even be able to use for lifting cradle with ceiling bike hoist.

Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #634 - May 15th, 2016, 12:54pm

NEW SHOES

Took the big plunge and bought a pair of Sidi. I've wanted a pair for a long time but just couldn't convince myself to buy them.  Cruzbikechris bought a pair a few weeks ago and said "dude, you just gotta put the money down".  So I did and rode with them today for the very first time and have to say what a difference they make.  Had to stick with the MTB format because I like to be able to walk and stay upright when I do.  Dominator 5 Fit from performance cuz they had a 20% sale on the website and I'm still cheap to some extreme.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #635 - May 23rd, 2016, 10:23am

I had to buy a new derailleur hanger, 3 actually, and a new rear derailleur. $9 each with free shipping. I bought two, the guy Steve, who use to own Actionbent, sent me three. I guess he has changed!

« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2016, 3:10pm by jrob_bent »  

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #636 - May 24th, 2016, 12:27pm

Bought a new to me Catbike Musashi today! I will pick it up in Springfield, MO when I go back home in a few weeks. The bike was raced a few times in the Texas Time Trials. It comes with the stock wheels, racing wheels, and tires.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #637 - May 24th, 2016, 5:26pm

Quote from jrob_bent on May 24th, 2016, 12:27pm:
Bought a new to me Catbike Musashi today! I will pick it up in Springfield, MO when I go back home in a few weeks. The bike was raced a few times in the Texas Time Trials. It comes with the stock wheels, racing wheels, and tires.

Congratulations! Welcome to the Musashi Club. Three of the Clowns, including me, own one.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #638 - May 24th, 2016, 6:37pm

Thanks Jay. When I get the bike, I'll have to come ride with the clowns.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #639 - May 24th, 2016, 7:09pm

Gabe's bike?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #640 - May 24th, 2016, 7:12pm

Quote from aikigreg on May 24th, 2016, 7:09pm:
Gabe's bike?

Yes. He bought a newer bike for the Texas Time Trials.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #641 - May 24th, 2016, 9:45pm

Jay, have you or any of the other Musashi owners had problems with front wheel blow outs? I got an email from someone from another forum, and he told me that is why they quit making the Musashi. I think it sounds outlandish. The same person said only the Cruzbike Vendetta had more blow outs. Sounds to me it is a tire problem, I hope.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #642 - May 25th, 2016, 3:48pm

Quote from jrob_bent on May 24th, 2016, 9:45pm:
Jay, have you or any of the other Musashi owners had problems with front wheel blow outs? I got an email from someone from another forum, and he told me that is why they quit making the Musashi. I think it sounds outlandish. The same person said only the Cruzbike Vendetta had more blow outs. Sounds to me it is a tire problem, I hope.

Ridiculous. 17,500 miles on my Musashi and no blowouts, because I try to stay away from sidewall damaging objects and I don't ride with tires showing casing threads. I stocked up on 451 Schwalbe Stelvios, after they went out of production. The next 451's I'll order for the Musashi will be Panaracer Minits Lite PT folding bead tires. I'm running one on the front of my Performer low racer and really like it.

The official reason for the Musashi going out of production was that it didn't fit Catrike's production scheme of 30 minutes per workstation, and there was no component commonality between it and their trikes. It probably didn't help that over 150 frames had to be replaced, due to the potential for frame cracks.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #643 - May 25th, 2016, 4:26pm

Quote from jayg on May 25th, 2016, 3:48pm:
Quote from jrob_bent on May 24th, 2016, 9:45pm:

Ridiculous. 17,500 miles on my Musashi and no blowouts, because I try to stay away from sidewall damaging objects and I don't ride with tires showing casing threads. I stocked up on 451 Schwalbe Stelvios, after they went out of production. The next 451's I'll order for the Musashi will be Panaracer Minits Lite PT folding bead tires. I'm running one on the front of my Performer low racer and really like it.

The official reason for the Musashi going out of production was that it didn't fit Catrike's production scheme of 30 minutes per workstation, and there was no component commonality between it and their trikes. It probably didn't help that over 150 frames had to be replaced, due to the potential for frame cracks.

I agree with you Jay. The only reason the guy sold it to me was he didn't feel comfortable riding it in heavy city traffic. He bought a Performer high racer. Ha. The guy who warned me has never owned a Musashi!

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #644 - May 26th, 2016, 1:05am

I've never heard of mushashis being worse at blowouts than any other small front wheel bike, but you should  know that when they do, you're going down hard.  Pick a solid tire!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 
Send Topic Print