Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 7:46pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 45
Send Topic Print
W.I.B.T. Thread (Read 214960 times)
Denman

rbent member

Re: W.I.B.T. Thread
Reply #195 - Sep 6th, 2012, 7:52pm

I'm figuring out how to use Solidworks; just in the beginning stages of taking the trike design from 2D in AutoCAD to 3D in Solidworks.  But thats not what I bought today.

Ordered a Nuvinci wheel kit.  On one hand, the idea of mounting half a bowling ball inside my rear hub just doesn't sit well with me.  On the other hand having the ability to infinitely adjust my cadence may (or may not) make it worthwhile.

I tried a Nuvinci a couple months ago, and frankly for longer rides it felt really good.  Forget the slingshot starts; only a derailleur will do there.  Then again I don't slingshot very often anyway.

Considered a Rohloff with a single chainring, and still may go that way, but the cost is a bit steep.  Noisey little bugger too.  Tried one with about 5000 miles on it and it was indeed cool, but shifting meant moving the pedal as opposed to pushing the pedal while shifting.  Upshifting while going uphill was OK, but not near as nice as my trusty Deore XT derailleur.

Tried an Alfine 11 at one point.  Like the Rohloff it had its moments going up a long hill.  Going from 2-1 felt like skipping a gear which was OK.

So once it's installed and I have a couple hundred miles, I'll either post a report or you'll see it in the Classifieds.... Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #196 - Sep 16th, 2012, 6:58pm

Follow up on the NuVinci after 100 miles.

First the bad news; yes its heavy and yes there is a tiny bit of drag felt at the lowest ratio.  I expected that much.  Acceleration from a stop to maybe 5 mph takes a little longer; about as long as it would take to get to 5.5 MPH with derailleur.  From 5-15 MPH it seems to accelerate just a bit faster, maybe because it allows full power at all times.

Mounting the shifter inverted worked really great.  After all, on a trike grips are inverted.  Very natural motion to trim the ratio.

Average speed over a 10 mile course hasn't really changed.  My legs aren't nearly as fatigued; 30 miles feels like maybe 20.

The way it feels is any losses from the friction are paid back with dividends through a steady cadence.  Top speeds in the same places aren't really any different.

The NuVinci is a keeper for me.  Works really well with a triple chainring and an Alfine tensioner.  I'll probably try a twistie shifter for the front just so it matches.

Email   IP Logged
Mizta_Nice

rbent member

Reply #197 - Oct 2nd, 2012, 5:08pm

I know it's a simple thing, but I got a Click-Stand and I love it. So simple. I'd been searching for a kickstand all over, but everything I'd found was either too short or too expensive.

http://www.click-stand.com/Home_Page.html

I'm goofy, I know. But I like it when I get something that actually works like it's supposed to. Oh yeah, the guy who makes them is really nice, and emailed me several times to make sure I got what I needed.

"Slow and steady wins the race" is what all us slow and steady people say when we don't win the race.
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #198 - Oct 17th, 2012, 10:23pm

Update: Once I got Rose's Screamer headrest adjusted to fit her, the only problem left was that her hair would occasionally catch and hang between the foam layers. I solved that by hunting down an old lycra eyeglass case, and pulling it over the headrest. It works great, and gives the headrest a nice look, I think.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Mizta_Nice

rbent member

Reply #199 - Oct 18th, 2012, 5:41pm

bought a new bike. I know I've been bothering all of you about bikes and advice, so thanks for all of your input. I went down to Austin and spent about three hours with Mike and the gang at Easy Street and left with a brand new Bacchetta Strada.  

http://olivertull.com/Olivers_Blog/Entries/2012/10/18_This_Guy!!!.html

I tested the Lightning Phantom, which is a great bike, and a couple of trikes as well, but felt like right now the Strada is the right one for me to try. Hopefully this is the bike I will do a century on at next years' HHH.  Smiley

So, now I have a couple of older clunkers to get rid of to make space in the garage. Who wants some scrap metal?

"Slow and steady wins the race" is what all us slow and steady people say when we don't win the race.
WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #200 - Oct 18th, 2012, 6:22pm

Quote from Mizta_Nice on Oct 18th, 2012, 5:41pm:
bought a new bike. I know I've been bothering all of you about bikes and advice, so thanks for all of your input. I went down to Austin and spent about three hours with Mike and the gang at Easy Street and left with a brand new Bacchetta Strada.

I tested the Lightning Phantom, which is a great bike, and a couple of trikes as well, but felt like right now the Strada is the right one for me to try. Hopefully this is the bike I will do a century on at next years' HHH.  Smiley

So, now I have a couple of older clunkers to get rid of to make space in the garage. Who wants some scrap metal?

Congratulations! Good choice.

Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #201 - Oct 18th, 2012, 7:52pm

Congrats oliver, I sure you will be happy with it.  Look forward to seeing you out there again.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #202 - Oct 18th, 2012, 10:15pm

Congrats, Oliver. The Strada is a great bike.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #203 - Oct 19th, 2012, 2:30pm

Oliver, be careful what you get rid of.  I started on an EZ-1 years ago, sold them and bought other recumbents and trikes.  Last night, Fast Eddie and I went to Frisco to pick-up for me another EZ-1.  I wanted a bike to run errands on, carry groceries and if it got stolen, it was no big deal.  The "Red" EZ-1 fits that purpose.  No, I'm not selling my V-Rex or my trike.  I'm just collecting and hopeing to go "really car-lite".

IP Logged
CruzbikeChris

rbent member

Reply #204 - Oct 19th, 2012, 5:14pm

I thought I had a riding buddy, but now you will blow my doors off. Maybe at the starting line anyways. Congrats on the new bike.  Man it looks fast.

Chris

2013 Cruzbike Silvio 2.1
2017 Cannondale Trail 5 for the off road times
  IP Logged
Mizta_Nice

rbent member

Reply #205 - Oct 21st, 2012, 1:28pm

Don't worry, Chris, all I did was swap the old engine into a new vehicle. You will still kick my bum.

And you are right, diannalightning, I am probably going to keep one of the bikes in our theater as my run around town bike. Probably the Cycle Genius, just because it takes up less space.

So far, and this isn't a review, the Strada is sooooo much lighter than what I was pedaling that I am sure I'm taking hills easier, if not any faster just yet. Getting used to using a slightly different set of muscles is going to take a bit to get used to. I basically went from having my feet below me to having them above me, so it is taking some getting used to.

Also, it is a good thing that Mike didn't have a Musashi built up in my size, because I was jonesing for one after seeing Shelbear ride hers at the Roanoke ride. I'd have bought it right then and there.

WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #206 - Oct 21st, 2012, 2:40pm

Quote from Mizta_Nice on Oct 21st, 2012, 1:28pm:

Also, it is a good thing that Mike didn't have a Musashi built up in my size, because I was jonesing for one after seeing Shelbear ride hers at the Roanoke ride. I'd have bought it right then and there.

Ah, the sickness has set in...  nice...   Cheesy

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #207 - Oct 21st, 2012, 3:35pm

Great choice Oliver.  The Strada is a good balance between price and performance.

Several of us rode Stradas in the HHH this year.  It gets the job done.

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #208 - Oct 22nd, 2012, 6:54pm

Quote from Mizta_Nice on Oct 18th, 2012, 5:41pm:

Depends, how many pounds of scrap at how much per pound? Smiley

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #209 - Nov 3rd, 2012, 3:19pm

Finally broke down and bought some "real" tights from Aerotech Designs. I bought the thermal ones in the same size as my shorts from them. They seem to fit the same and will hopefully make the cold weather more comfortable. I hope it is a long time before I find out.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 45
Send Topic Print