Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:22pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cleburne 200k (Read 1543 times)
bobcat377

rbent member

Cleburne 200k
Oct 30th, 2011, 12:51pm

Lone Star Randonneurs  brevet 200k.  Cleburne to Glen Rose to Bluff Dale and back.  A day of climbing.  Saw one other recumbent - Daniel Sanchez doing a 600k.  Rode with him for about 16 miles at the start until he warmed up.  Then he was gone.  What a rider.  Spent most of the day by myself.  The real climbing  starts out of Glen Rose to Bluff Dale.  The worst back in on was on FM 1434 closer to Cleburne.  A series of three rollers that are just hard - at least for me.  I was tired.  Wanted to beat 9 hours but did not make it.  9 hours 8 minutes.  Next time I think I can get it.  About 20 riders I think.  Really cold.  Daniel's therm.  read 33 degrees at the start.  Never really got hot but that was a plus.  Did try a pair of compression socks for the first time and I had no foot numbness.  Also ate real food for the first half of the ride and I did not have stomach problems during the entire ride.  A really good ride to find out what kind of shape you are in as far as climbing.

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Cleburne 200k
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2011, 2:39pm

yeah the steep part on FM1434 on the way back is known as "Goat Neck Hill".  so how was the chip seal on the FM1434 section.  Has it worn down since they laid the original boulder-seal?

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
bobcat377

rbent member

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2011, 6:53pm

It wasn't too bad.  I've ridden that 1434 stretch before but didn't realized it had a particular name.   The first time I did was on a single speed.  I walked up the last roller.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2011, 10:19pm

I was out at Cleburne for the 600k but I'm not Daniel Sanchez - I'm Daniel Schaaf (Square-Corners). Daniel Sanchez was doing the 200k on a road bike.

Anyway, I noticed Bobcat377 (I've forgotten his name - will have to look it up - I think it's Bob). He was at the ride start and shortly after starting out, the group had launched itself away and Bob was nearby, so we chatted. It was a cold start - low 30s and until my legs and lungs warm up, I'm pretty slow. I was not the least bit worried that the group was pulling away - I knew I'd catch them by the time I reached Glen Rose. Bob and I rode together for about the first 15 miles or so. We talked about each other's cycling history and why we were were now on recumbents. I mentioned that if I got off ahead on a climb, I might just keep going. Shortly after, that is what happened. I got up a climb a little quicker, looked in the mirror and Bob wasn't closing the gap; looked ahead and there were more rollers in my immediate future. Decided it was time to go. My lungs were feeling pretty good by then so I picked up the pace and sailed along at a good clip. That final 28 miles to Glen Rose went by quickly and I enjoyed it. Those rollers are the fun ones. The ones after Glen Rose - not so much. Anyway, I arrived at the control at Glen Rose and there was the group. I was actually disappointed to be right about catching them, because I hated waiting in line at the store! By the time I reached Glen Rose, the temperature had finally climbed out of the 30s - it had been stuck on 30°, even, for quite some time - I was glad I'd been climbing for much of that part.

After that I either rode with the group or ahead of them if I found their pace to be too slow. I mostly rode ahead to Bluffdale and after that it was more of a mix. But I took every downhill occasion to have fun, meaning I pulled around the group and let gravity take over! On the way back, we had headwind during daylight hours and Sharon was unable to keep up at times, so I'd wait for her and keep her pace. Back at Bluffdale, day turned to night and we rode in calm conditions. I was still enjoying the climbing, even the 10% climbs, and wasn't using the granny. None of the hills on the way back, including Lighthouse, Goat Neck or Power Bar hills gave me any trouble. However, Dinosaur did give me trouble - I was falling asleep and weaving drastically! We arrived back in Cleburne at 12:40AM with 226 miles. I had a 15.5 avg and 9850 ft of climbing. We had much more to do the next day. I literally collapsed onto the bed in a dead sleep. Morning came and we went out at 7:10AM, 10 min behind the group, to do the remaining 149 miles. We had a few miles of downhill to flat at the beginning of the 2nd day so it was fortunate the morning temp didn't get below 35° on Sunday. We caught the group at the first control but we left after them. I didn't care - we would gradually make up time on them and ride together. By the time we reached Maypearl, that is what happened. Our next stops were Lynn Creek Marina at Joe Poole Lake, Alvarado, Rio Vista, and finish. We rode with the group at times or when Sharon had trouble keeping up, I'd wait and ride with her. But we finished together at just after dark on Sunday. I had a 15.4 avg the second day with 4509 ft of climbing. That climbing is misleading, though. The climbing we encountered was tough, because of very aggressive chipseal and headwind. I might add that we were all a little tired on the second day - that contributed as well. The second day was definitely tougher than the numbers would indicate. I was very glad to be finished as my left foot was very sore from hotfoot and my left sacrum was very tender. This was another very challenging ride and I feel blessed that even when I'm not in the greatest shape, I'm still up to the challenge.  

« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2011, 6:06am by square_corners »  
Email   IP Logged
bobcat377

rbent member

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2011, 6:31am

Daniel sorry about the wrong last name.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2011, 5:49pm

That's quite alright Bob. I just wanted you to know who I was. Daniel Sanchez is from the Houston area and doesn't ride recumbent. I'm from Rowlett and do.

BTW, congratulations your excellent time on the 200k - that's a tough course!

Email   IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2011, 9:35pm

I was signed up for the 300k, but had to pull out because of the Rangers. I love the ride out of Glen Rose (cleburne).

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2011, 10:08pm

Daniel I fell a sleep climbing Dinosaur hill on our first 400k. Its a great place for a nap Smiley. Almost as good a sleeping on a rangers driveway. I missed riding with you and Sharon, wish I had been able to ride with you Bob.

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print