Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:23pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Paluxy Pedal (Read 633 times)
bobcat377

rbent member

Paluxy Pedal
Oct 1st, 2011, 5:36pm

Rode the 60 mile route (57.8).  Perfect day.  Planned on the 80 mile route but they announced new chipseal for the 20 mile loop and I decided not to ride the longer ride.  First organized ride in over three years.  Plenty of rollers on the first half with the addition of the Wall.   Walked halfway up that baby.  Saw three other bents.  Paced myself and ended up averaging 16.5mph.  I was on a Volae Expedition with a 650 wheelset.  Excellent climber.  I could have popped for a better average but had never ridden a route with that many rollers on a recumbent so I ended up feeling very strong at the end because of pacing myself on the first half of the ride.  Surprised I could pass so many road bikes going uphill.  I not talking about going fast but using gears to accomodate the climbs.  I rode fixed gear and single speeds for 5 years prior to switching over to recumbents and I am glad I made the change.  Would have hit well over 40mph on several downhills but had to bleed off some speed because folks were not moving over and at that speed I didn't want to move to the oncoming lane.  Rode this ride 4 years ago on a DF and this was a better ride.  Recumbents are underrated for climbing.  I am not talking about speed but taking advantage of gearing.  Strong roadies were most certainly pulling ahead on climbs but not so far that I didn't catch them on the downhills.

Email   IP Logged
bobcat377

rbent member

Re: Paluxy Pedal
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2011, 6:16pm

Need to add that I did not stop at any rest stops.  Took a Platypus and waterbottle.  Total stop time 5 minutes.  I do not like to stop on climbing rides as my legs just tighten up.  But the support at the stops looked good with PortaPotteys.

Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Paluxy Pedal
Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2011, 7:45pm

Was unable to go on Paluxy Pedal because im cheap SO I am going to leave tomorrow and camp out for 3 days and ride all the routes and more for FREE!! less food, camping fee, gas, and more. HA. See you Clowns maybe Thursday.  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print