Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:23pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
anniversary present (Read 856 times)
esbee

rbent member

anniversary present
Sep 25th, 2011, 5:17pm

yes i rode today for a few minutes (will ride longer later) on my new Sun trike, AX version...my hubby got it for me from richardson bike mart for our 36th anniversary...what a nice surprise...now to get it unloaded out of the back of our Rav and trick it out with all sorts of lights, basket, computer, etc.  

the mechanics at the bike mart also told him it was not worth putting an electric assist on his sun trike...input on this appreciated.
Susan of paris tx  Smiley

Susan In Paris (Texas, that is!)
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: anniversary present
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2011, 8:17pm

Quote from esbee on Sep 25th, 2011, 5:17pm:
the mechanics at the bike mart also told him it was not worth putting an electric assist on his sun trike...input on this appreciated.

That depends upon what he needs electric assist for...  are there hills he simply can't climb due to physical limitations, or long distances he needs to go and needs the help?  Tell more about why you/he want to do this....

Here's a fairly complete description of a Bionx system, courtesy of Lightfoot Cycles...  http://www.lightfootcycles.com/bionx.php

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
esbee

rbent member

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2011, 6:44am

the type of biking my husband needs the electric assist for is to go up the slight inclines and go a little further than he does...he only rides maybe 2 miles at a time, he just wants to stay out on the bike longer for the light riding he does at the slow pace he does.  
Susan

Susan In Paris (Texas, that is!)
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2011, 7:45am

Thanks, Susan -- I might also be inclined to not bother with the expense of an electric assist, and just encourage him to get out and ride...  by doing it regularly, this distance capability will increase, and the hills will get easier.  None of us start out instantly able to do 30/50/100+ mile rides -- my first GDB club ride was 20 miles, on my EZ-1, and I was exhausted...  

Do the two-mile route twice... then three times.... Plan out a 5 mile route, and just go do it.  Then plan to do it twice, as a challenge!   Increased distance capability comes from regular riding, and pushing yourself to go longer.  It's 9 miles around White Rock Lake, with a couple of climbing spots...  

A nice thing about a trike is you can go as slow as you need to up hills and not worry about balancing.  You/he might also consider looking into some inexpensive "Power Grips" for the pedals (or some combo platform/SPD pedals and inexpensive SPD shoes), so you can get a bit of 'pull' from the pedals instead of just a push.  It will help...

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2011, 7:55am

Quote from esbee on Sep 25th, 2011, 5:17pm:
yes i rode today for a few minutes (will ride longer later) on my new Sun trike, AX version...my hubby got it for me from richardson bike mart for our 36th anniversary...what a nice surprise...now to get it unloaded out of the back of our Rav and trick it out with all sorts of lights, basket, computer, etc.
Smiley

Susan, while getting the anniversary present was, indeed, a nice surprise, perhaps he should have taken you with him to RBM to try out the other trike styles there...  You might find that something like the TerraTrike Rover would be a better machine for you -- it's got relatively high seating for ease of in/out, and is a LOT lighter than the EZ... and is in a similar price range. Here's a webpage -  http://www.terratrike.com/rover.php  

Regards,
Paul

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print