Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 7th, 2024, 3:28pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Fastest Recumbent (Read 9727 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Fastest Recumbent
Aug 1st, 2011, 6:38pm

Since I have a lot of free time on my hands, I decided to run some coast-down tests on the five high-performance recumbents I own to determine which is the fastest. The fastest should be the one with the lowest combination of air and rolling resistance. Hope the following report will be of interest to at least some of the members who are into high performance recumbents. I spent parts of the past two days making a total of 22 runs down the steep concrete path that parallels the spillway at WRL.

All the recumbents are equipped with high-performance, smooth-tread tires. I pressured the front tires to 110 psi and the rears to 115 psi. I crossed the starting point at approximately 15 mph and coasted until each recumbent reached its maximum speed. All of the runs were made under no-wind conditions at 100 degrees, plus. I made a minimum of three runs per recumbent and averaged the results. Average maximum speeds were as follows:

a. 2010 Optima Baron – 26.8 mph
  b. 2011 Catbike Musashi – 26.7 mph
  c. 2009 Carbent Raven – 26.1 mph
  d. 2007 Catrike Speed w/26” rear wheel conversion kit – 25.8 mph
  e. 2009 RANS X-Stream – 25.2 mph

The above results can’t be used to judge relative cranking effort, because from my experience the Musashi requires less cranking effort than the Baron, and the X-Stream requires less cranking effort than the Speed at elevated speeds on the flats. My subjective opinion of cranking effort required to maintain a 21 mph cruising speed on the flats from least to maximum by recumbent is as follows:

a. Musashi
  b. Baron
  c. Carbent
  d. X-Stream
  e. Speed    

« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2011, 6:40pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Ric_Clark

2012 ~ Musashi

Re: Fastest Recumbent
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2011, 7:45pm

Thanks Jay  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Ric Clark

I will persist until I succeed...

Gig em AGGIES, Smiley

Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2011, 8:15pm

Heat's really getting to you is'nt it.

Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2011, 8:17pm

That good info jay, If i remember correctly on my trike when i do about 10 or 11 mph on the crest and i get right at 27 mph at the bottom.. Pretty close to ya..

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2011, 8:28pm

Quote from johnnybent on Aug 1st, 2011, 8:15pm:
Heat's really getting to you is'nt it.  

You're just saying that because you're riding one of those slow X-Streams.  Grin  

Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2011, 8:31pm

You callin' me slow? Well...I'll just have to put one of them sun shades on it then.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2011, 8:45pm

Quote from johnnybent on Aug 1st, 2011, 8:31pm:
You callin' me slow? Well...I'll just have to put one of them sun shades on it then.

You need to get with Kenny. He has the plans and material list.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2011, 10:08pm

Quote from jayg on Aug 1st, 2011, 6:38pm:
Since I have a lot of free time on my hands, I decided to run some coast-down tests on the five high-performance recumbents I own to determine which is the fastest.

"Smoke 'em if you got 'em!!!"   Smiley

Pretty cool little test there, Jay...  I'm not too surprised, since the XStream is probably the least "laid back" of them all.  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2011, 11:21pm

Coast down figures are fairly irrelevant, but a good power meter can eliminate all that guesswork!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Aug 2nd, 2011, 2:59pm

Quote from aikigreg on Aug 1st, 2011, 11:21pm:
Coast down figures are fairly irrelevant, but a good power meter can eliminate all that guesswork!

I agree

Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Aug 2nd, 2011, 4:29pm

Not entirely irrelevant, coastdown will give a comparison at the initial speed or for the same hill. While it won't give hard numbers it will still give relative strengths.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #11 - Aug 2nd, 2011, 4:51pm

Coast down is too affected by gravity. If you load the bikes enough to make them weigh the same, you get a better test.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Aug 2nd, 2011, 7:07pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Aug 2nd, 2011, 4:51pm:
Coast down is too affected by gravity. If you load the bikes enough to make them weigh the same, you get a better test.

I've seen a similar statement (weight as a variable) made in some coast-down testing literature, but no explanation was given. Weight affects rolling resistance, so maybe that was the reason for the statement. Bob M. reminded me the other day that we learned in our physics courses that in a vacuum all free falling objects accelerate at the same rate, independent of mass. Aerodynamics accounts for the difference in terminal velocities of two free falling objects in the atmosphere, not their weights. This (along with other minor variables, such as rolling resistance) sounded reasonable to me to explain the differences in various recumbents' terminal velocities attained during roll-down tests on inclines.

I think the variables that introduced the biggest errors in my test results were the varying running start speeds (I was shooting for 15 mph), computer inaccuracies, and the winding concrete path. According to literature, I should have selected a 1/4 mile long straight slope of at least 5%, and should have utilized standing starts.  

Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Aug 2nd, 2011, 7:35pm

Sounds good Jay...I said what i said becuase of to many varables as grease in wheels and rear freewheel drag and to tires differences and weight . But what you did is close enough for what your doing.I was thinking the baron should have won but it didn't.  
 Later

Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Aug 2nd, 2011, 8:16pm

Don't agree that coast-down test results are irrelevent, if the tests are properly conducted, but a power meter would definitely be a much better way to go. If I was Mark Cuban, I would have some Power Tap wheels built up for my bikes, and run some more tests. Smiley  

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print