Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 7th, 2024, 11:26am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need help making up my mind (Read 1567 times)
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Need help making up my mind
Jul 8th, 2011, 11:58pm

I have 3 bike designs that need to be built, but only time and resources to build one. The problem is they are all really neat designs that deserve to see the road and I can't make up my mind which one to build. I will list them in order of build difficulty. Smiley

1. 20/20 Crank forward. This would be a MTB frame and a BMX frame spliced together to make a compact Crank-forward bike that will fit on the racks on the front of the DART bus, with a suspension fork. 42" wheelbase to fit the rack with a 20x3" (406-75 ERTO) rear tire and a springer seat to cush the tush.

2. 20/20 FWD CLWB. Basically the bike above with the BB moved to the bottom of the fork, rigid fork with the seat moved over the rear tire. This would be a MBB FWD with a rear BB (too many acronyms) like the Moeller F'lowroller. Instead of the springer seat there would be a full recumbent style seat with a backrest. 50" wheelbase will just catch the rack with the rear tire without destroying the frame bouncing on the rack.

3. 26/26 FWD LWB low racer. Basically the F'lowroller with full suspension and e-assist. If built to the fullest extent of the TX e-assist law, and also meeting the federal limits on e-assist we're talking 210 miles per charge with LiFePO4 batteries, 40 miles with SLA from the recycle rack at Autozone. I don't know that I'll ever have the money for the LiFePO4 batteries, Smiley but if I do I want to ride across the continent with this bike. 200 miles a day at an average speed of 18 MPH... Smiley Basically we're talking $2500 in batteries alone for this one with the lithium battery.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Need help making up my mind
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2011, 7:58am

Go for #3 -- you enjoy the cross-country touring idea, don't you?

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Ric_Clark

2012 ~ Musashi

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2011, 9:38am

Quote from Opus the Poet on Jul 8th, 2011, 11:58pm:
I have 3 bike designs that need to be built, but only time and resources to build one. The problem is they are all really neat designs that deserve to see the road and I can't make up my mind which one to build. I will list them in order of build difficulty. Smiley

1. 20/20 Crank forward. This would be a MTB frame and a BMX frame spliced together to make a compact Crank-forward bike that will fit on the racks on the front of the DART bus, with a suspension fork. 42" wheelbase to fit the rack with a 20x3" (406-75 ERTO) rear tire and a springer seat to cush the tush.

2. 20/20 FWD CLWB. Basically the bike above with the BB moved to the bottom of the fork, rigid fork with the seat moved over the rear tire. This would be a MBB FWD with a rear BB (too many acronyms) like the Moeller F'lowroller. Instead of the springer seat there would be a full recumbent style seat with a backrest. 50" wheelbase will just catch the rack with the rear tire without destroying the frame bouncing on the rack.

3. 26/26 FWD LWB low racer. Basically the F'lowroller with full suspension and e-assist. If built to the fullest extent of the TX e-assist law, and also meeting the federal limits on e-assist we're talking 210 miles per charge with LiFePO4 batteries, 40 miles with SLA from the recycle rack at Autozone. I don't know that I'll ever have the money for the LiFePO4 batteries, Smiley but if I do I want to ride across the continent with this bike. 200 miles a day at an average speed of 18 MPH... Smiley Basically we're talking $2500 in batteries alone for this one with the lithium battery.

I agree....go for #3.. Smiley

Ric Clark

I will persist until I succeed...

Gig em AGGIES, Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2011, 4:20pm

Sorry about taking so long to reply but I took the Dawgbus to TN and just got back. After the "spectacle" Smiley of the TSA at the Memphis Greyhound station I'm looking very favorably at the long-distance tourer. Smiley But Someone is interested in buying the 20/20 Crank Forward from me so that first, then the 26/26 FWD Low Racer.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print