Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 6th, 2024, 9:13pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tire inflation info (Read 6591 times)
richardr

rbent member

Re: Tire inflation info
Reply #15 - May 20th, 2011, 9:24pm

Paul,
Thanks!  I printed out your table and graph.  It will help me determine the correct pressure for our trike and bike tire pressures.
Richard

Work to eat, eat to live, live to bike, bike to work.
  IP Logged
Ric_Clark

2012 ~ Musashi

Reply #16 - Jun 8th, 2011, 9:36am

Quote from richardr on May 20th, 2011, 9:24pm:
Paul,
Thanks!  I printed out your table and graph.  It will help me determine the correct pressure for our trike and bike tire pressures.
Richard

OK, I am about around 230 lbs., the ICE trike is around 45 lbs = 275 lbs.....how much tire pressure should I have for my 20" wheels?????

Ric Clark

I will persist until I succeed...

Gig em AGGIES, Smiley

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #17 - Jun 8th, 2011, 3:39pm

Quote from Ric_Clark on Jun 8th, 2011, 9:36am:

OK, I am about around 230 lbs., the ICE trike is around 45 lbs = 275 lbs.....how much tire pressure should I have for my 20" wheels?????

Ric, it's not the diameter of your wheels that matters, it's the width of your tires...  I'm going to assume that you're running 1.25" (32mm) tires.  If your weight was evenly distributed between all three wheels, that would be ~90 pounds of load, so you find where the 32mm line intersects with the 90 pound column, and look to the left for pressure -- in this case, around 52psi.  If you're running 1.1" tires, it's 65-70 psi.

HOWEVER, your weight isn't evenly distributed among all three wheels - but with a trike, it's easy to put a bathroom scale under each wheel and have someone else read it as you sit in the trike...  Your rear wheels should have equal weights, but may be different than your front.

Let us know what you find out!  Remember, this is just a recommendation of starting pressure -- modify it as your mileage varies...  but I am still running my front 1.1" tire on the Xstream at 80psi instead of 110...

« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2011, 3:44pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #18 - Jun 8th, 2011, 7:48pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jun 8th, 2011, 3:39pm:
Quote from Ric_Clark on Jun 8th, 2011, 9:36am:

Ric, it's not the diameter of your wheels that matters, it's the width of your tires...  I'm going to assume that you're running 1.25" (32mm) tires.  If your weight was evenly distributed between all three wheels, that would be ~90 pounds of load, so you find where the 32mm line intersects with the 90 pound column, and look to the left for pressure -- in this case, around 52psi.  If you're running 1.1" tires, it's 65-70 psi.

HOWEVER, your weight isn't evenly distributed among all three wheels - but with a trike, it's easy to put a bathroom scale under each wheel and have someone else read it as you sit in the trike...  Your rear wheels should have equal weights, but may be different than your front.

Let us know what you find out!  Remember, this is just a recommendation of starting pressure -- modify it as your mileage varies...  but I am still running my front 1.1" tire on the Xstream at 80psi instead of 110...

A suggestion, Paul - The two wheels that are not resting on the scale should be shimmed to the same height as the scale platform for the wheel load readings to be absolutely accurate. The readings will be slightly lower, if shims are not used.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #19 - Jun 10th, 2011, 8:51am

[quote author=jayg link=1305525859/15#18 date=1307580492]Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jun 8th, 2011, 3:39pm:

A suggestion, Paul - The two wheels that are not resting on the scale should be shimmed to the same height as the scale platform for the wheel load readings to be absolutely accurate. The readings will be slightly lower, if shims are not used.

True, but that amount of difference is no doubt irrelevant for what we're talking about, here...  especially since my "heavier weights" chart is just my own extrapolation of the original data anyway!!!  If my "engineering statics" math is correct, having one wheel on a scale would create about a 3-4 degree angle, tops, changing the effective weight by only a percent or so...  or as Bob W said, "much ado about...."   Smiley

jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #20 - Jun 10th, 2011, 5:17pm

[quote author=FlyingLaZBoy link=1305525859/15#19 date=1307713891]Quote from jayg on Jun 8th, 2011, 7:48pm:
Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jun 8th, 2011, 3:39pm:

True, but that amount of difference is no doubt irrelevant for what we're talking about, here...  especially since my "heavier weights" chart is just my own extrapolation of the original data anyway!!!  If my "engineering statics" math is correct, having one wheel on a scale would create about a 3-4 degree angle, tops, changing the effective weight by only a percent or so...  or as Bob W said, "much ado about...."   Smiley

Since I have a lot of time on my hands (I love retirement  Smiley), I have plenty of time to make "much ado about..."  Smiley Continuing in that vein, I decided to determine my Catrike Speed's wheel loads, using a digital bathroom scale. Only a 2 pound difference shimmed vs. unshimmed. According to the Berto graph, the trike's front tires should be pressured to 48 psi and the rear tire to 34 psi. The Berto graph recommendations conflict with the 85 psi minimum pressure recommended by Schwalbe for the trike's Stelvio tires. Maybe the 85 psi minimum applies to a tire at the maximum recommended load. Who knows. Right or wrong, I personally like to run high tire pressures on the smooth pavement at WRL.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #21 - Jun 10th, 2011, 10:05pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jun 10th, 2011, 8:51am:
... changing the effective weight by only a percent or so...

Quote from jayg on Jun 10th, 2011, 5:17pm:
... Continuing in that vein, I decided to determine my Catrike Speed's wheel loads, using a digital bathroom scale. Only a 2 pound difference shimmed vs. unshimmed....

Nice to know I've still "got it"....   Smiley    Smiley

« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2011, 10:07pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #22 - Jun 12th, 2011, 4:18pm

I can't believe this thread is still going.................. Smiley

Keep Pedaling,the power coming