Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 6th, 2024, 5:41pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Catrike Extension Kit (Read 9339 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Catrike Extension Kit
May 5th, 2011, 6:38pm

A number of Catrikers on the Forum are probably familiar with the Utah Trikes Catrike extension kit that permits 20” (406 and 451) rear wheels to be replaced with 26” (559), 650c, or 700c wheels. Don’t know how many have ordered and installed the kit, so I thought I would post my experiences with it. I ordered a kit for my 2007 “Speed” to turn it into a quasi “700” (Installed a 26” wheel, instead of a 700c). Cost a total of $184, which included $9 for shipping. Thankfully, I didn’t need a chain rerouting kit, which ranges in cost from $100 to $145. I already had a spare 26” wheel, tire, and shifting cable, so the conversion cost was minimal. Installation of the kit took about an hour. Installing a shifting cable, adjusting the chain length, making other adjustments, test riding, and changing out the cassette, after the test ride, took several more hours. The CNC machined aluminum extensions fit like a glove over the original dropouts. I didn’t experience any installation problems. The extensions for 2007, and earlier, trikes require additional machining that must be requested when the order is placed. Otherwise, they won’t fit. Rode the trike a couple of miles, yesterday, and 38 miles, today. Not enough miles to fully evaluate the effects of the kit on the trike, but here are a few observations: (1) Spun out at 28 mph (108 cadence) in the middle chain ring, yesterday. Before, I would spin out at 28 mph in the big ring (With stock 451 rear wheel); (2) The ride seems smoother with the 3-1/2” increase in wheelbase and 26” wheel/tire combination; (3) As would be expected, acceleration is decreased with the increased wheel diameter and heavier wheel/tire combination; (4) Does the trike roll faster with the bigger wheel? Don’t know. Need more riding time; (5) Handling of the altered trike seems fine. The turning radius is of course slightly longer; (6) The seat angle was not affected. Photos follow:  

Trike with stock 451 rear wheel

Extension kit

Trike ready to receive extension kit

Extensions and derailleur installed

Trike with 26" Aerospoke wheel

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Re: Catrike Extension Kit
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2011, 7:01pm

Jay, I like the adjustable jackstand.  A professional touch.  Bob M.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2011, 7:36pm

Quote from rmillay on May 5th, 2011, 7:01pm:
Jay, I like the adjustable jackstand.  A professional touch.  Bob M.

A real pro has more than one jackstand. I have a bunch of them behind the garage (Approx. 30 bricks).  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2011, 7:53pm

Jay, by changing the gears you can make a big wheel act like the smaller one..

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
Ric_Clark

2012 ~ Musashi

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2011, 8:17pm

very nice looking ride there Jay... Smiley

Ric Clark

I will persist until I succeed...

Gig em AGGIES, Smiley

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2011, 9:24pm

Quote from Ric_Clark on May 5th, 2011, 8:17pm:
very nice looking ride there Jay... Smiley

Thanks, Ric.

Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - May 6th, 2011, 2:03pm

Jay that looks really good. You might temp me into trying that with my Road some day.

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - May 6th, 2011, 3:15pm

Quote from Patti on May 6th, 2011, 2:03pm:
Jay that looks really good. You might temp me into trying that with my Road some day.

Thanks, Patti. I'm going to try my X-Stream's 650c rear wheel and my Carbent's 700c wheel. The 650c will probably fit, but installation of a 700c looks problematic (Headrest's horizontal mounting screw looks like it would be in the way).

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #8 - May 6th, 2011, 4:42pm

Jay, if it's like mine, the seat frame clamps can be rotated to get it out of the way.  I had to do that for clearance for the bigger tire.  You have to readjust the headrest then, of course--a pain in the neck.    Smiley

« Last Edit: May 6th, 2011, 4:43pm by rmillay »  

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - May 6th, 2011, 6:18pm

Quote from rmillay on May 6th, 2011, 4:42pm:
Jay, if it's like mine, the seat frame clamps can be rotated to get it out of the way.  I had to do that for clearance for the bigger tire.  You have to readjust the headrest then, of course--a pain in the neck.    Smiley

You're right, Bob, the clamps on mine can be rotated for more clearance. Just took some measurements. A 650c wheel with a 23 mm tire will work (It's about the same diameter as a 26" wheel with a 1-1/8" tire). A 700c wheel and tire, unfortunately, are not going to work. There would be interference between the tire and top, horizontal seat frame member.  

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - May 11th, 2011, 6:42pm

Did some coasting tests on the steep portion of the path that parallels the WRL dam spillway to see if the the trike rolls faster with the 26" rear wheel than with the stock 451 wheel (Both wheels had Schwalbe Stelvio tires mounted and pressured to 115 psi). Looks like the trike achieves a slightly higher terminal velocity with the larger rear wheel. Removed the Aerospoke wheel and installed a 26" wheel with 24 wire spokes. The Aerospoke wheel is stiff, and the trike really bounces around at speed on the wooden bridge planks at WRL with it installed. The bouncing could probably be reduced by installing a wider and lower pressure tire, but I like narrow, high-pressure tires.

Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - May 11th, 2011, 7:26pm

jay, why do you have 345 lbs of presuure when you only weigh in 140 lbs ????  Huh

Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - May 11th, 2011, 7:40pm

Quote from power_bent on May 11th, 2011, 7:26pm:
jay, why do you have 345 lbs of presuure when you only weigh in 140 lbs ????  Huh

115 psi, Tom.

Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - May 11th, 2011, 7:57pm

Quote from jayg on May 11th, 2011, 7:40pm:
Quote from power_bent on May 11th, 2011, 7:26pm:

115 psi, Tom.

Times three , ( 3  tires )  not unless your riding a unicycle . Jay

Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #14 - May 11th, 2011, 8:21pm

But unless you ride terrain that's perfectly smooth, most of your weight can end up on one tire for an instant, and that's all it takes for a pinch flat.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print