Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:21pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Frisco to Fort Worth MS 150 (Read 369 times)
shellbear

Frisco to Fort Worth MS 150
May 1st, 2011, 3:13pm

Well, Day 2 was canceled due to severe weather so I'm actually home now instead of on my way to Sundance Square... I was a little disappointed but after seeing the rain and wind I'm glad the ride coordinators put the safety of the riders and volunteers first. I'll just have to come back next year to get my lap around the speedway!

Yesterday started off flat and fast: there were no real hills until about mile 22. After lunch at mile 48 we turned back south into the wind and the rest of the day was pretty brutal. It was VERY windy, but the hills were long and gradual instead of steep: I can deal with that. Smiley  I averaged 14.5mph for the 86-mile day and was very happy to see the Texas Motor Speedway finish line.  I was told Day 2 is hillier, I need to train more next year...

My friends and I joined the Interstate Batteries team at the last minute (one of them works for IB) and that turned out to be the best part of the trip. Instead of sleeping in a tent or in the car (if the weather got bad overnight) as we'd planned, we got to crash on some floor space in the condo penthouse overlooking the speedway that Interstate Batteries owns. AMAZING!!!  We were so grateful to be out of the weather that giving up our 8th annual Team Shenanigans name was worth letting Interstate Batteries add our fund raising to their mix.  That's a great bunch of guys!  They were thoroughly confused and intrigued by my Catbike.  Ha ha ha!  My bike earned a nickname from one of my upright friends: "The Stretcher."  I'm laying on my back and got into recumbents thanks to herniated disks in my lumbar spine: stretchers wheel injured people around.  I love it!!  LOL

I saw only 4 other recumbents during the ride yesterday, three bikes and a short wheelbase trike.  The trike is the only one I managed to pass: the 'bent bikers were better climbers than I.  I had a great time and will definitely do this one again!

I don't want to fill the thread with pictures, you can just view my entire Photobucket album here: http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t290/shelleyanddanny/MS150%202011%20-%20Frisc o%20to%20Fort%20Worth/

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print