Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 7th, 2024, 3:15am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Question on Xstream (Read 6431 times)
goldentouch

rbent member

Re: Question on Xstream
Reply #15 - Jun 22nd, 2010, 6:20am

I will have to try shifting back to the middle ring and see if it works for me.  Also when I try and shift to the small ring it will not shift down unless I am on a higher gear 5 or higher.  Not sure why that is happening but because of it I usually just don't shift down.

I moved the seat back and leaned the seat about 2 holes and it made a big difference on the feel of the bike.  I was able to take a longer route with more hills one over a mile long not too steep but all without any problems.  The ride was 18.71 miles and I was not tired.  My average with a stop to call work and get a drink was still over 11mph.  

I still find myself in places start day dreaming and just peddling.  I am not tired just enjoying the ride.

I will take the bike to City Cyclist Saturday to get it's first tune up.

2010 ICE Sprint
2010 Stratus XP XXL
2010 Sun EZ-3 USX HD
2008 Rans V3
2001 V-Rex
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #16 - Jun 22nd, 2010, 8:19pm

OK I can answer this one. Not being able to shift to the granny ring has one of two causes. The first is a mis-adjusted derailler which is common after about 200 miles. The second is by the time you're going for the granny ring you are already putting out some shove at low RPM which puts a lot of load on the tension side of the chain, which also happens to be the part of the chain that gets moved to the next ring by the front derailler, and going smaller on most front or rear deraillers uses spring pressure rather than your hand and arm pressure. The "cure" for this is to soft-pedal a couple of revolutions when you shift to the granny ring.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
goldentouch

rbent member

Reply #17 - Jul 18th, 2010, 6:13pm

City Cyclist tuned the Stratus up and it is a lot smoother than when I first picked it up.  Shifts smoothly through all the gears without a problem.  The more I ride it the more I like it.

Everyone was right I don't fit on the XStream too bad.   I might later trade the V-Rex for a long wheelbase to go along with the Stratus

2010 ICE Sprint
2010 Stratus XP XXL
2010 Sun EZ-3 USX HD
2008 Rans V3
2001 V-Rex
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #18 - Jul 18th, 2010, 10:24pm

Eddie, you might contact Jason, and test ride his V3 he has for sale...  It might be a very nice bike for you -- it sits a little taller than the XStream, but with your legs that's not a problem, and the x-seam goes beyond 48"... The steel frame can handle your weight, and it puts you in a more aero position than the SXP.    See this thread:  http://rbentonline.org/YaBB.pl?num=1279249152

Be aware that you'll have a bit of knee/grip interference, which you don't on the SXP, due to the higher pedal position -- but you would have had that on the XStream as well...

« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2010, 10:26pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Rat Rider
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Nov 9th, 2010, 9:49pm

Quote from goldentouch on Jun 16th, 2010, 8:55pm:
I have a stratus xp and a V-rex.  I love the stratus but it doesn't climb very well.  I was wondering about the Xstream if there was enough difference to change.  I like the LWB I think better and they seem to fit me better at 6 ft 5 inches.  The Xstream is at the end of my xseam of 47.5inches.  

I cheerfully disagree with my learned fellow riders. I think the Xstream is a poor choice as a climber as is the V3 and I suspect the SXP for the same reasons. First, I am talking about climbing something in MILEs not a few thousand yards (or k's if you prefer). When faced with a climb in Colorado that has a sign at its top, with a place to take a picture, I would much rather be on a Easy Racer or a V-rex. Especially if I am a bigger rider as referred above.  The  wheel flop of the Xstream and V3 (perhaps the SXP, never ridden one) makes long steeper climbs much tougher. You have to work much harder IMO because of the wanky low-speed steering than you would on an Easy Racer (much less). Last summer, my riding buddy and I were climbing Slumgullian pass. I was very jealous of his ti Rush and the ability to rock along < 4MPH. Pretty handy in higher elevations and long climbs.   Now, I don't argue that getting to the top on the  lighter bike may come sooner, but for me this is not the main issue.

On shorter hills, the Xstream wins because of weight (gravity). Although, I still prefer those shorter, especially steeper climbs on an Easy Racer, because again the steering is so much less brain damage. YMMV, caveat, CYA, etc.  

As an aside, I have ridden my Xstream more than my other bikes most recently. But the local terrain is flat, very flat, and darned flat with not many hills. I moved in summer, from a very hilly area. Before I moved, I wanted to sell the beast several times but couldn't bring myself to it. Glad I kept it.

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
CruzRocket indoor recumbent Zwift trainer
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #20 - Nov 9th, 2010, 10:02pm

You're obviously correct about the better low-speed handling of the ER or VR...  especially when you're talking about MILES of climbing at sustained low speeds...  Good input, but Eddie did purchase the V3 a few months ago!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print