Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 7th, 2024, 1:32am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Question on Xstream (Read 6424 times)
goldentouch

rbent member

Question on Xstream
Jun 16th, 2010, 8:55pm

I have a stratus xp and a V-rex.  I love the stratus but it doesn't climb very well.  I was wondering about the Xstream if there was enough difference to change.  I like the LWB I think better and they seem to fit me better at 6 ft 5 inches.  The Xstream is at the end of my xseam of 47.5inches.  
I also noticed they have 3 models.    
I again come to the experts and hope you might give me some direction. I also called City Cyclists today and Mike said he might get in a Xstream in a couple weeks I could try.   I will also try and get free Saturday and take the Stratus in to get serviced.

2010 ICE Sprint
2010 Stratus XP XXL
2010 Sun EZ-3 USX HD
2008 Rans V3
2001 V-Rex
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Question on Xstream
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2010, 11:37pm

Maybe with a more upright seat and smaller wheels you'll fit, but I expect you're too big for an x-stream.  And you haven't been on bents long, right?  It takes a while to get the muscles trained up enough to climb well, but keep at it - the best way to climb better is just to do more - at least in the beginning.  I have done hilly 200ks on my wife's v-rex and climbed cherry pie hill and ridden from glen rose to bluffdale, so I know it's actually an exceptional climber.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
goldentouch

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2010, 6:20am

Thanks Greg for the reply.  You are right I have not been riding a bent very long and I guess I might be chasing the magic ride.   I love the Stratus and don't see retiring it anytime soon.  I also like the V-Rex and I agree it climbs a lot better and I do have a hill I practice on riding up and then back down until my legs just say don't.  I am getting stronger and find that my speed is picking up and places I use to shift down 3 or 4 times now maybe only once.  
The Xsteam was something I looked at when I picked out the Stratus but decided to start with the Stratus would be easier to learn and ride comfortably.  
I wanted to know what your feelings on the Xstream were and if it was better in the performance maybe between the Stratus and V-Rex or even equal to the V-Rex in performance.  

2010 ICE Sprint
2010 Stratus XP XXL
2010 Sun EZ-3 USX HD
2008 Rans V3
2001 V-Rex
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2010, 6:28pm

Oh the xstream is great - myself and Pual did the prototype testing for RANS so I'm pretty familiar with the bike and have one of the production models.  It's no doubt superior in speed and climbing ability than anything else they make.  But even at 6'1" I feel like I would really enjoy another inch or two of room to slide the seat back, so I think you'll end up feling even more so.

Great job on the training - keep it up, and I hope I see you at the rbent ride this weekend.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
goldentouch

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2010, 7:14pm

Greg I got to looking at other bikes to file in if the Xsteam is too small.   How does the Gold Rush they make it in an XXL that will fit?

2010 ICE Sprint
2010 Stratus XP XXL
2010 Sun EZ-3 USX HD
2008 Rans V3
2001 V-Rex
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2010, 7:18pm

Quote from goldentouch on Jun 18th, 2010, 7:14pm:
Greg I got to looking at other bikes to file in if the Xsteam is too small.   How does the Gold Rush they make it in an XXL that will fit?

No clue - never ridden one, but Mike at City Cyclist sells them, so he may be able to tell you.  Though I can't see it being faster than a stratus xp - it's much more upright and has a small front wheel, yes?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2010, 7:49pm

I would agree on both counts - I think the Xstream won't fit your xseam properly, and I don't see why an GoldRush would be a better climber than the SXP -- and without a fairing, you're slighly less aerodynamic than the position on the SXP.  The prototype Xstream frame was about 3" shorter than the production version, and Greg and I both had the hoagie seat essentially backed up right against the rear wheel, and wanted more recline.

The K-frame aluminum SXP has a little better power transfer due to the frame stiffness, without loss of the plush LWB ride.  I see they're coming out with a titanium frame version -- maybe that's your upgrade?  

I don't know if Randy has any capability to do an "XL" frame Xstream... but since I've got the Slingmesh seat as well as the Hoagie on my XS26, you can certainly test ride mine if we ever have the opportunity to get together...

« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2010, 7:51pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
goldentouch

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2010, 9:55pm

Well I will take the Stratus in for a tune up the front derailer needs adjusting and have it looked over.  I am throwing the chain off the big chainring when changing from the middle ring.   A big bummer when going down hill.  Sure cuts into your time and have to stop and put thing back together.
I might have to just enjoy the Stratus and upgrade when the Ti frame comes out.  

Mike said he was getting in a XStream and he is putting together a Tour Easy which is close to a Gold Rush and I should find out what the difference is.

I will just have to use the V-Rex for my speed and find smoother roads.  

Thanks again for the advice.

2010 ICE Sprint
2010 Stratus XP XXL
2010 Sun EZ-3 USX HD
2008 Rans V3
2001 V-Rex
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #8 - Jun 18th, 2010, 10:02pm

When the chain goes off the big ring, if you'll make a quick shift back to the middle ring and keep on pedaling, it will come back and you won't have to stop.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
kingjason

rbent member

Reply #9 - Jun 18th, 2010, 11:59pm

Might want to see if there are any V3's still around. I might be persuaded out of mine since I am eyeballing something new even though I am not sure there would be much of a performance jump for the price difference of what I am eyeballing. LOL  A really great bike though and my favorite so far and I have rode everything.  

COMPONENTS

Frame Tig Welded 4130 CroMo Steel (Made in USA)  
Fork RANS Alloy 1 1/8"  
Headset FSA Threraded 1 1/8"  

Bottom Bracket Truvativ

Crankset
 Truvativ Elita 52/39/30  

Cassette SRAM 950 11/32 9-Speed  
Chain KMC Z9000  

Front Derailleur RANS

Rear Derailleur SRAM X5

F/R Shifters SRAM X5 Twister 9 speed  

Handlebar RANS B-39

Riser RANS Top-load B-28 into B-35  

Brakes Tektro MT15  
Brake Levers Tektro MT2.1  
Seat RANS Sling Mesh  
F/R Wheels Jet Set 26 Disc-Hub  

F/R Tires Primo Racer 26 x 1  

Pedals Wellgo

SPECIFICATIONS  
Gear Inches 22.5-113.3

X-Seam  37" to 48.7"  
Wheelbase 65.25"

Overall Length 90.25"

Seat Height  Ft.-25" To Rr- 23.25"  
BB Height  26"  
Bike Weight 31.5 lbs.

Weight Limit 325 lbs.

Colors Frost Blue  

MSRP $1,650.00

Current listed prices and specifications subject to change without notice.  

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - Jun 19th, 2010, 10:31am

The derailleur adjustment is simply a limit screw adjustment, that keeps the DR from moving outward too far.

Here's a good site for the "self-maintenance" inclined, regarding the derailleurs...

http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=53

irodguy

rbent member

Reply #11 - Jun 19th, 2010, 12:31pm

I would never go from an SXP to a goldrush.  The only reason to switch to a goldrush would be if you want a lower bottom bracket.  I had both a goldrush and a xstream.  The xstream was much faster, but in the end for my city riding the short wheel base just worked better.  I am currently very happy with my vrex.

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
goldentouch

rbent member

Reply #12 - Jun 19th, 2010, 4:28pm

I think for now I will stay with the Stratus as my main bike of choice.  I went to breakfast only 3 1/2 miles then took the long way home another 10 miles and really enjoyed the ride this morning.  
As far as the V-Rex I only ride it once in a while but take it out for more sprints and hill climbs.  I think with a little more adjustment on the seat and T-Bar I will like it better and get a more comfortable ride.  The V-Rex is a lot quicker than the Stratus but on the Stratus I just feel relaxed and sometimes just find myself enjoying everything around me.  A very laid back ride.  I think I could probably adjust my seat on it some more for a better fit.  I noticed today my knees are bent more than normal when I am peddling.   I have a little discomfort in the knee area so I will recline the seat a couple notches and move the seat back about 1/2 inch.  
I want to thank everyone for the information.

2010 ICE Sprint
2010 Stratus XP XXL
2010 Sun EZ-3 USX HD
2008 Rans V3
2001 V-Rex
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #13 - Jun 21st, 2010, 9:46am

There will be a practical limit as to how far you can recline the seat... typically around 50 degrees.  Any more than that, two things start to happen: 1) you lose back support when pedaling hard (steep climbs or sprints), because you start sliding up the seatback when applying pressure to the pedals, and 2) the front edge of the seatpad starts hitting the backs of your thighs uncomfortably, since it starts to tilt up as the seatback is reclined.  However, you are dead on as to the ride quality of the Stratus -- it's a pleasurable "Cadillac" ride compared to most bikes out there.  It's an excellent bike for long distances.  On LSR 200Ks and such, I found myself typically averaging about 16mph, rolling in the 16-20mph range, and in faster "pack drafting" situations like HHH100, my average was up in the 18-20 range... and smiling all the way.  There's a reason that bikes like the SXP and the EasyRacers series have been so popular for long-distance touring and such...

Bud_Bent

Reply #14 - Jun 21st, 2010, 11:37am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jun 19th, 2010, 10:31am:
The derailleur adjustment is simply a limit screw adjustment, that keeps the DR from moving outward too far.

Here's a good site for the "self-maintenance" inclined, regarding the derailleurs...

http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=53

But some bikes are bad about losing the chain over the big ring even if they're adjusted well. My SXP has always been really bad about it, and my Corsa does it every once in a while. A quick shift back to the middle ring without stopping pedaling works to recover from it just about every time.  

It works for all kinds of bikes. I learned it from an FWBA upright rider very early in my riding days.

« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2010, 11:39am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print