Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 3:16pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Red River Road Kill - 100k (Read 840 times)
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Red River Road Kill - 100k
Jun 5th, 2010, 6:20pm

Went to Ardmore with a pretty large group from my local Texas Flyers club.  This is a very scenic ride, and I don't know why more people don't go.  It blows away Mesquite or any ride on the same weekend.  I met a very nice local man, who rides a P38.  I can't remember his name, I think it was Steve. He said he lurks on RBENT, and I wanted to give him a shout out in case there are other bent riders in the Ardmore vicinity.  

Instead of a ride report, see the report below posted by a fellow rider today on our Texas Flyers email group:

Ray

----- Original Message -----  
To: TXFlyersSocialGroup@yahoogroups.com  
Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2010 5:12 PM
Subject: [TXFlyersSocialGroup] Ardmore Report

The club was well represtented at the rally today as 10 of us participated.  

Ray was awsome today as he finished first overall on the 60 mile route with an average speed of around 22 mph finishing in just over 2.5 hours. This is especially impressive since this was a very hilly course. Ray had two of the hills at 12 degrees and Janice had one at 12 and one at 13 degrees. There were also pleanty of hills in the 8-10 degree range and many of them were long. To put it into perspective Hill Top is 13 degrees but is short these two big hills were more like the Tyler Beast nearly 1/2 mile long pulls.  

I am happy to report that there were no injuries or wrecks and no blow outs. But the heat and the hills had its toll. Ron T could not finish bowing out a the 53 mile rest stop. I was nearly at the same stage and Ken and Janice were at their limits. About 3/4s of the particpants cut it short doing the 40 miles. There were about 400 participants so this is not a real big rally but it was well run. Police blocked the roads for the bikeres and the local drivers were all very courtious.  

I think this is a comparable ride to Muenster and maybee even a little hillier if that is possible. The good point is this is more scenic than Muenster and the roads were better - a lot less chip seal. I would put this into the very challenging catagory and some would say it was a beat down. Ray of course like Goldy Locks thought it was just right.  

Ron H

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Red River Road Kill - 100k
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2010, 7:25am

What bike did you ride, Ray, and how was it?

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Re: Red River Road Kill - 100k
Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2010, 9:22am

I rode the Xstream, as I intended on a conversation level ride with the 10 friends who went up to Ardmore with us.  We started at the rear, and as soon as the gun went off and we started rolling some smart DF with a racing kit looked at me and made a comment as he tried to make his way to the front.  My big ego got the best of me and I followed him through the crowd and made my way to the lead group within the first mile.  Shortly after there was a nice downhill and it was easy to go in front.  

I followed the police escourt until about mile 5 when they stopped at a major intersection to block traffic.  I kept looking in my mirror to get caught as it was hill after hill.  Never say a rider from behind the entire ride until about mile 45 when I came upon the 40 milers.  I then started picking them off.  Shortly after I loaded the bike on the truck rack, the first pack of 60 milers came in.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print