Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 1:14pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fleas & Trees 200k (Read 615 times)
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Fleas & Trees 200k
May 25th, 2010, 3:44pm

A group of LSR riders rode a relatively new permanent route called "Fleas & Tress" 200k route. The route is an out & back, the ride starts in Canton with a turnaround in Gilmer. This is an east west route, so a howling south wind is not much of a factor on this route (especially when the pine tress block the wind).

A group of approx. 10 riders meet just south of Canton this past Saturday at 7:00am. Michelle Williams (RBA from Mississippi) came over to ride with Sharon Stevens & Peggy. Michelle had recently purchased a CA2.0, making four CA2.0's to show up for the ride. I have ridden a little in east Texas & when the routed was posted , I was very skeptical about the road conditions on this route. East Texas is loaded with Boulder seal. Man, did I misread this course! This is a beauty route, very little bolder seal, there's one section of road on the road that goes for 13+ miles that is as smooth as you'll find. AND the rollers come about half way to Gilmer , just past Mineloa, a lot of up & down-1 or 2 10% grades, but a lot of longer 5-6% grades. My Garmin showed total ascent of 4,850'. That's close to Forrestburg or Cleburne for climbing.

This route has it all, great scenery (Piney Woods) ,rolling countryside, low traffic roads & smooth roads. There's not much boulder seal (there's some, but the boulder seal in place is not bad for the most part)  (shhhhh... don't tell Txdot-they'll ruin it soon enough). A great route, these type of routes are getting harder & harder to find. There's a section on US80(east bound) that doesn't have a shoulder, but traffic was light (the westbound side does have a shoulder, but every kind of road hazard is lying in wait for bike tires). The road into Gilmer is a little busy with vehicle traffic, but I've ridden worse.

I rode with Mark Metcalfe  for the first 62.5 miles (to Gilmer) when Daniel Schraf rode into the control a few minutes behind us.  

This was Mark's last longer rider before RAW ,so we took it relatively easy pace into Gilmer-4 hours. Also, this was really the first hot/humid (did I mention HUMID-it's always humid in east Texas) day that we had in awhile, so I wanted to be smart with the heat. We're in no real hurry to head back to Canton, we drink/eat  before we head back to Canton. This 200k route has only 3 controls (opening, turnaround, & ending), so it's a long haul between controls (there are stores in Mineola at about mile 28 heading out & approx. 95 heading back).  

So we head back to Canton, we past Sharon, Peggy & Michelle about 8 miles or so outside of Gilmer, they're having a ball taking their time & stopping at Gilmer to actually eat at restaurant. Daniel & ride together for the trip back, with Mark right behind us. About 7 miles outside of Mineloa, I see this huge turtle in the road (I had stopped twice on the way to rescue a tortoise & a turtle- It's the animal rights activists in me, I have to stop & help turtles across the road. Snappers, you're on your own...I like my digits), then I lose sign of Mark. I figured he's hurrying to get back to the unscheduled store in Mineloa.
Daniel waits & we ride in together to a convenience store on the right side of the road, when I hear my name come from the opposite side of the street "Steve!". It's Mark, he had just arrived at a Shell convenience store across the street & had ice waiting for Daniel & I.

We take a few minutes & cool off, then we ride the final 27 miles back to Canton. Total ride time was 8 hrs,45 mins. We didn't hurry back, no need to , It was a beautiful day (hot), but 'tis the season.

After I get back to the ending control, I drive back to one of the convenience stores in Mineloa with Daniel & we see Peggy, Sharon, & Michelle in the store-cooling off & taking it easy. They're fine & having a ball. Just then, Dan Driscoll & Gary Gotleib come rolling in, they're riding the 300k. These two maniacs end up with a 11hr53min 300k.  

So Daniel & I head back to Canton to the finishing control & I wait on Peggy & the girls. Not too long afterward, the girls come rolling in giggling & smiles on their faces. What a day. What a good route. I would highly recommend this route(thanks Mark for talking me into riding this route). I can only recall a few dogs.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
goldentouch

rbent member

Re: Fleas & Trees 200k
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2010, 7:00pm

Do you remember the route you took?

2010 ICE Sprint
2010 Stratus XP XXL
2010 Sun EZ-3 USX HD
2008 Rans V3
2001 V-Rex
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: Fleas & Trees 200k
Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2010, 9:16pm

Quote from goldentouch on May 28th, 2010, 7:00pm:
Do you remember the route you took?  

I have it saved in my Garmin Training center. I have a cue sheet too.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print