Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 8th, 2024, 1:28am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How many ride uprights too? (Read 3599 times)
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

How many ride uprights too?
May 25th, 2010, 9:07am

Who regularly rides an upright in addition to their recumbent?  I woke up at 5 am this morning and couldn't go back to sleep with a strong desire to ride my hybrid that I haven't touched since I got my Corsa two months ago.  I have put about 400 miles on the Corsa but lately have been questioning if I would prefer a DF roadbike which I have never owned.  Planning to ride my hybrid a couple of times this week to see if that quinches my thirst.

Anybody else go through this period of questioning your biking identity?  I'm beginning to think I might have a problem.  "Hi, my name is Tony and I like to buy bikes".  I might need to find a support group...... or maybe quit looking at bike catalogs before bed.

Just wondering....

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Re: How many ride uprights too?
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2010, 9:55am

Just avoid those recumbent catalogs those things are real trouble and the for sale sections of web sites!  
I have a road bike I ride from time to time. Actually I'm still faster overall for distances <20 miles on it compared to the Hurricane and I haven't got the Oregon setup right now but it could be closer on that. Just a change of pace and different thing to do. My only issue is when we take those big hills going up isn't a problem but coming down a steep hill is very scary going head first on a road bike vrs laying back on a bent.
I'll occasionally ride the road bike with the social group or I'll ride it to the store or gym. It is a very quick nimble bike at both fast and less then walking pace so is good for high traffic and also since it is so common a bike if it gets stolen it is a loss for sure but not so impossible to replace.
Barcroft Oregon ChoMoly - One of 3? in the wild
Hurricane Sport non sl - less then a dozen in the US?
Merlin non Ultralight Road bike - One of thousands and most importantly any of a million road bikes would be a near drop in replacement.

If you have the room I think you should certainly keep the hybrid and take it for a spin once in a while. Now getting a road bike hm  Smiley

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2010, 9:58am by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - May 25th, 2010, 9:56am

I don't see a problem with owning multiple bikes.  If I did I'd be a complete hypocrite.   Grin

I had a hybrid before buying a bent and THEN buying a road bike.  The greatest distance I could ride with the hybrid was 15 miles.  The road bike allowed me to go much farther, faster, and in more comfort.  I don't really think hybrids are good for most people.  Or at least bikes with shocks in the seat.  Going clipless at that point helped, as well as weight loss, confidence, etc.  

I only used the road bike for distances of 40 miles or less, and for triathlons.  Once I had my foot reconstructed I sold it thinking I'd never run again.  Now I have a single speed upright that I love for shorter trips and/or commuting.  Fun fun fun.

What makes you think you must be solely in one category?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2010, 10:46am

" Once I had my foot reconstructed I sold it thinking I'd never run again."

Oh my gosh, you sold your FOOT?   Wink

IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2010, 12:00pm

Quote from aikigreg on May 25th, 2010, 9:56am:
What makes you think you must be solely in one category?

Because a divorce would be more expensive than the road bike..... unless it was a really nice bike Shocked

I've got room to keep my 3 bikes (Corsa, Hybrid and a MTB).  If I got a roadbike - I'd have to move it in piece by piece over a period of several weeks or my better half might become overly suspicious.  

Maybe I just need to change it up a bit every now and then.  I did the 100k at HHH last year so I can ride it a decent distance.  Not sure if it is truly classified as a hybrid - can I get a ruling on that?  It is a Cannondale Bad Boy  

http://www.rei.com/product/798529?preferredSku=7985290035&cm_mmc=cse_froogle -_-datafeed-_-product-_-7985290035&mr:trackingCode=C418CE29-B020-DF11-9B13-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

I guess it feels like I've been cheating on my old faithful steed!

Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2010, 12:50pm

That bike looks like what a compact frame flat bar road bike would look like if they actually put the bar down where they'd put the top of the drops instead of back like alot of them have forcing you to ride sitting straight up.  
Course it depends on how you have it setup.

It is a uhm..  Here is a custom compact frame road bike. It ain't that different except the bling components, some thinner tires and drop bars? (and of course the custom built bit)

When someone shows up on a hybrid it usually looks more like the following but if you dropped your seat all the way into the post to ride the bad boy might not ride that much different save hte lack of suspension.

You know even with all these uprights looking the same just a subtle difference really does change a ride. Get a longer stem and put drop bars on that bad boy and it looks like a cross bike to me except for the fact that the cable routing isn't on top of the chain tube.

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2010, 12:52pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - May 25th, 2010, 1:46pm

Quote from evblazer on May 25th, 2010, 12:50pm:
That bike looks like what a compact frame flat bar road bike would look like if they actually put the bar down where they'd put the top of the drops ....

That is actually what I went in to buy when I got the bike.  It currently has 700x28 tires and bar ends.  

I have asked about putting on drop bars but i think someone at PCF told me I would need new shifters and brake levers.  Also I have thought about getting clamp on aero bars.  Would that do the same thing and make it the equivalent of a traditional roadbike?

I'll try to get some pics tonight if all this DF talk doesn't get me kicked off the bent site.

Edit:  That is what I went in to buy when I got the bike.  They explained to me that basically it was a mountain frame with strong road wheels.

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2010, 1:49pm by TonyWard »  

Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #7 - May 25th, 2010, 2:07pm

PCF was probably right. I'm in the crazy if I'm gonna ride a road bike it better have brifters myself and I wouldn't mind having them on my cruz if I end up riding it and I can find a pair cheap one day. Not sure why since I usually don't shift alot but taking my hands out of position to bar ends or down tubes seems kinda weird.  

When you say clamp on aerobars are you talking the tri ones?

Depending on your bar setup if you can fit them it'll let you lay out like your on a triathalon or time trial. I always thought those were for long distance trying to stay aero easily and not needing to steer mode which I don't get much chance at.

or

If it could fit with what you have would essentially give you a drop bar but all your controls would still be up top. If they could be found on the cheap  it might be an easy way to see if drop bars were your fancy before buying components and switching everything over. I found the pic at www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/parts/bar/bar.html but any lbs could order them I'd think.

(recumbent content) I use WTB MTB Drop handlebars on one of my recumbents and they work out pretty. Probably my favorite part of the bike which doesn't say much for the bike I guess Cheesy

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #8 - May 25th, 2010, 2:22pm

I used to have a Target-purchased Pacific 21-speed that I would tool around WRLake on, occasionally -- but would wind up with sore wrists, neck, etc. -- so I was never a "roadie" in a past life.  I guess I was a "Lakie" instead...  Cheesy

Once I started on 'bents, I never rode it again...  and now, having the foldable KHS commuter, the typical 1-3 miles I ride on it every other day or so just serves to reinforce my recumbency...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - May 25th, 2010, 2:31pm

I was talking about the tri ones that you posted.  I have never used anything like that so I have no idea - I just figured you leaned to turn so it doesn't really matter - just seen some people with roadbikes that had them.

Those other bars you posted are cool - I never knew anything like those existed.  I might have to get some and try them out.

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - May 25th, 2010, 2:34pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on May 25th, 2010, 2:22pm:
I used to have a Target-purchased Pacific 21-speed that I would tool around WRLake on, occasionally -- but would wind up with sore wrists, neck, etc. -- so I was never a "roadie" in a past life.  I guess I was a "Lakie" instead...  Cheesy

Once I started on 'bents, I never rode it again...  and now, having the foldable KHS commuter, the typical 1-3 miles I ride on it every other day or so just serves to reinforce my recumbency...

I was thinking did I just forget about the sore parts or was it not as bad as I remember.  A lot of the time on the GDB ride, I sure was wishing I had my other bike.  Especially at the stop signs, lights, etc.

Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #11 - May 25th, 2010, 3:51pm

Quote from TonyWard on May 25th, 2010, 2:34pm:
Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on May 25th, 2010, 2:22pm:

I was thinking did I just forget about the sore parts or was it not as bad as I remember.  A lot of the time on the GDB ride, I sure was wishing I had my other bike.  Especially at the stop signs, lights, etc.

Take it out and ride it around maybe even on a GDB ride. Not everyone suffers on a road bike like FlyingLaZBoy. I think if I had a little more core strength i'd have no complaints at all on my road bike. I used it for a few months on my 40+ rt commute while waiting for the Giro 26 to come in and used it once in a while after that if it was down or I just wanted a change of pace.  Got to be too hard not to really push my hr because it just wanted to go fast. On the hurricane I can just lay back and ride.

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2010, 3:52pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #12 - May 25th, 2010, 9:51pm

From time to time I like to switch back to the upright, currently aiming to do a little fixed gear riding in the near future.  I still have a lot more of my lifetime mileage on uprights.  
For me because of the position and involvement of the upper body riding a DF feels a bit more free.  However for anything over 200 miles I definitely prefer the comfort of the bent!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - May 25th, 2010, 9:54pm

I tried riding an upright once but people kept staring at me, mothers would pull their kids away and my riding buddies laughed then shunned me.

I just felt awkward

IP Logged
Brad Bedell

rbent member

Reply #14 - May 25th, 2010, 10:04pm

Quote from evblazer on May 25th, 2010, 3:51pm:

Take it out and ride it around maybe even on a GDB ride. Not everyone suffers on a road bike like FlyingLaZBoy.

I'm more comfortable on my "upright" than I've ever been on any 'bent.  I've had my share of them about two years ago.  The Steel Strada was the most comfortable and natural to ride of them.  It's just more of what area is tolerable to you.    That being said, my Ridley Noah is far more comfortable than my Fuji commuter/CX bike; so bike choice does matter.  

Anyhow, I ride pretty much anything with two wheels and pedals.   Road, dirt, 'bent, tandem are all in my garage.    

The Target purchased Pacific was 99.9% of Paul's problem.   Proper fit and absorbing components is the key to a comfortable ride.   The wrong saddle or bar position, fit, etc will make you hate riding a DF.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print