Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 9th, 2024, 9:25pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Defective Derrailuer ?? (Read 2084 times)
kingjason

rbent member

Defective Derrailuer ??
Apr 26th, 2010, 10:23pm

OK my new MTB derrailuer came in today and I eagerly installed it. To my dismay it seams it will only adjust thru 8 speeds properly. When I put it on it would go into the small cog no problem. However once I adjusted it so it would not over throw the large cog it would no longer drop into the small one. It took me a while but I figured out in order to get it to drop into the small I had to back off the low adjuster. Further investigation revealed that when I got the large cog adjusted enough not to overthrow and I tried shifting it down on to the small cog the L adjustment screw was hitting the cage on the backside. Its enough that it makes the H adjustment screw useless. I guess my only question is maybe the mountain bike derrailer has a different range of motion? Tore up some spokes on my Mavic too. Not completely but enough to worry about. Sighhhhh. Glad I still got my other wheel I guess.

Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Re: Defective Derrailuer ??
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2010, 11:02pm

First time that happened is when I was using friction shifters and a sram rear mtb derailleur as there wasn't enough pull for the sram. Just happened on the shimano alivio one I got to go with some friction shifters though which is odd but I think that might be the hanger though. I didn't try too hard though because I didn't want it to go into the biggest cog cause it is a bit too close to those spokes the chain likes to eat on the cruz mess.

« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2010, 11:08pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
kingjason

rbent member

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2010, 8:30am

I think the problem is in the axle/cog width. I read last night that most MTBs might be 5mm different then its road counterpart. I guess I coud see that making a difference in the limits of adjustment. I guess I will be 8 speed with my velocity for a while. I have dropped enough weight that I will feel better about the Velocity. Heck this is what knocked the spokes out of it but it was just a poorly adjusted x5 at that point. I may try to call SRAM today and get a conformation on the limits road VS MTB. Although I think my wheel is the same as a MTB wheel (559 disc). LOL  Whats funny is I tried to get the bike guy to sell me one of them plastic protecotr thingys for the spokes and he assured me that it was my rear derrailuer. He was right but I sure would like the piece of mind with these long chains slinging around.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2010, 8:57am

The 5 mm difference is the dropout difference. Cassettes cogs are the same width. What brand of shifter and what brand of derailler? You can't just mix and match. If you put a SRAM with a Shimano, it has to be the right SRAM, one that's Shimano compatible.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2010, 6:17pm

Well, I don't see a reply saying what model shifter and derailler you have, but I can tell you that name SRAM shifters and deraillers (MRX Comp, Rocket, Attack) are compatible with Shimano, while number SRAM shifters and deraillers (X5, X9, X0) are not Shimano compatible. So, if you have a SRAM X9 shifter with a Shimano derailler, that ain't happening.

Also, Shimano XTR shifters and deraillers are backwards from everything else. That is, with an XTR, loosening the cable makes the derailler go to a bigger cog, where with all others, loosening the cable makes the derailler go to a smaller cog. So if you mix an XTR with anything else, you get your shifter reading 1 while you're actually in 9, cassette cog-wise.

So, you do have to know what you're buying.

« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2010, 6:20pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
kingjason

rbent member

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2010, 8:52am

Been busy but let me explain my set up better. I have a V3 with all SRAM goodies. I have the twist shift X5 shifters . I had a X5 9 speed rear Derrailuer that worked fine and a adjusted out fine. Both the X5 and X9 say 1 to 1 actuation on the side of them. Reading the SRAM site it said if its 1 to 1 it should work.  

The problem with it is the throw to the large cog is too much. It seams like I have to screw that mechanical adjustment almost all the way down to get it to pull it in far enough to keep it from overthrowing into the wheel. When I do this and get the large cog lined up perfectly the adjustment screw is apparently to far in becuase when I shift all the way down to the small cog the adjustment screw for the large cog touches the inside of the frame on the back of the X9 causing it not to set down all the way. If you look at the small cog adjustment screw there is even a small gap so I new something was hitting.  

It looks as if the lip on the back arm of the X9 does not come off the back arm enough causing you to screw the adjusment screw in farther then you should. Thus my theory that maybe the different widths would cause the cogs on a mountain bike to be 5mm further away from the hanger and thus you would need less adjustment.  Heck my shifters shift the X9 perfectly and it is very crisp. However the mechanical adjustments are off some how. Orrrrrr I got a bad derrailluer that wasnt machined right or something weird but I doubt that is the case. I bet a road vs MTB is just enough differrence to cause my issues. Thats what I get for trying to save 15 bucks. LOL  My wheel guy loves me I am sure.  I am not sure on any of these theorys and have not called SRAM yet but will soon and see if they have an answer.

Anyone need an X9 for their mountain bike cheap. LOL Used once.

Email   IP Logged
kingjason

rbent member

Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2010, 9:09am

Welllll I called SRAM and the lady said that all my stuff was absolutly compaitable and that I may have got a bad derrailluer. She asked me to check if it was kinda stiff but I didnt think it was the other day. She understood exactly what I was saying though and was going to warranty it till I told her I got it off Ebay. Sighhhhh I guess I will see if they will take it back on Ebay and try again.

Email   IP Logged
kingjason

rbent member

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2010, 2:06pm

Well after chatting with the ebay store she said send it back for a refund. I guess I will take the whole thing to my bike store adn have them do it so its has some sort of warranty.

Email   IP Logged
kingjason

rbent member

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2010, 11:06pm

Where it has to be set to keep from overthrowing the large cog at full extension. Actually I backed it off some even.

Bottoms out when compressed not allowing to drop into small cog

The gap in the other adjustment. It needs to set on this to drop into the small cog but wont due to the other one touching

« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2010, 11:09pm by kingjason »  
Email   IP Logged
kingjason

rbent member

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2010, 8:53am

Bike shop had it back in one day. New X7 and my old Velocity. Shifts great and the mechnical adjustment screws look right in the cage. To me it looked like the X9 was drilled wrong or had a bad angle when they drilled it.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print