Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 1:15pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Clown ride incident (Read 2884 times)
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Clown ride incident
Feb 18th, 2010, 4:58pm

In case you were wondering the clowns are still riding. Despite the 33 degree temperature, there were 7 riders  this morning.
Unfortunately there may be one less for a while as Tom Fell and hurt his ankle. It is too early to tell but he may not be riding for a while.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Clown ride incident
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2010, 5:09pm

Hope you're a-ok and back on the bike tomorrow, Tom!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2010, 5:10pm

Sounds like it's getting dangerous down there. Smiley Get better Tom!  Hope the bike's okay too.  The velo is still healing.

Happiness is riding home into the sunset.
Email   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2010, 6:45pm

Just talked to Tom.  He broke his tibia and fibula both. cry He's in a splint until they can do surgery.  Apparently, his rear wheel jutted out to the left when he ran over a branch on the trail.  He said he couldn't get unclipped fast enough and just went down really hard.  When we spoke, he was still a little shaky and his ankle was black and blue and bigger than his calf. Smiley I told him to ask the doctor if they could install a cleat on the bottom of his cast. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2010, 9:05pm

Dangit, sorry to hear that. Heal well, Tom!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2010, 9:55am

Whew wee how wonderful are the prescription..What was funny but not was when it all settle down on the ground after the fall i look at my foot and said that not right !  My foot was 90 degrees to the outside and i reach to it and put it back straight and said yep it broke???
  I had a wonderful guy riding an mountain bike  stop to ask if need any help. He said he saw me right before i hit the ground and i said go get that guy that was on the other recumbent like mine he took off to get him.Him and jerry came back to me .. Now jerry went to go get his truck to help me.. Now the mountain bike rider stayed with me all the way till i got in the truck.. His name is Brad
 Thanks you so much Jerry for everthing you did and all of the prayer that had been poured out to the Lord for mee.
 The hardest thing had I had with all of this is the fact that i kept apologizing to the Lord for breaking a bone to his temple and it's still get me on that..
  I think the surgery is set for monday.
 Once again thanks everbody and My Girl JoElla

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2010, 10:16am

Sorry about the accident.  Hope the surgery goes well and everything heals quickly.  My prayers are with you  too.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2010, 1:17pm

I guess JoElla was right about buying a trike, instead...    Sad  Very sorry, Thomas!! Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2010, 4:32pm

You know, when Carolyn R broke her ankle last year, she went to a trike just to make sure that she didn't fall again for awhile.  Once you're up and around again, you may have to "whip up" one of those trikes.  I'm sure JoElla would like having you to ride with a little.  Sorry that your broken and wishing you all of the best.

IP Logged
Sweeper

rbent member

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2010, 7:16pm

A couple of years ago, Montie my wife, crashed and broke her leg.  When she healed she got herself a Catrke and loves it. Says now she can ride "no hands" without a worry.

Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #10 - Feb 20th, 2010, 5:15pm

Well since misery loves company:  I have 4 shiney new stitches in the bottom of my chin.  I am Tony Hawk.  I am Tony Hawk.  I am Tony Hawk.  I am Tony Hawk.  I am Tony Hawk.  I am Tony Hawk. Smiley

OK, so I'm not really.  I should have stuck with BMX and those silly ramps...wow a skateboard can move out from under a 42 year old quick!!   The kids didn't even really see it happen, but told me...'Dad, you're really bleeding...'  At that point I still didn't feel it.  That told me it was bad, and it was confirmed by the blood that hit the ground before I could get my hand to my chin.

I am Tony Hawk. Smiley

McKinney's ER is really slow...I'm told next time to go to Allen...next time...meh.

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2010, 5:19pm by JimFPU »  

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2010, 5:16pm

FYI: Tom's going in for surgery tomorrow (Tuesday) at 10am.

Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Feb 24th, 2010, 11:51am

Smiley
Good morning guys & gals;
  Update on Tom's surgery. All went well, he's home with his foot elevated until we go back in 2 weeks. Dr. Reddy placed 2 screws in to hold the fibula & 4 screws and a plate on the tibia.Hopefully we will never be able to say he has a screw loose! Smiley No cast , as he had first told us. He stated he needed to allow for all the swelling, so a splint, which is huge, looks like one of those ski boots those women wear all furry. Anyway, after 2 weeks we go back ,he'll put him in a boot brace. He didn't say for how long. And eventually therapy.I'm trying to keep him on schedule with his meds,every 4 hours, so he doesn't have to be in a lot of pain You guys have his number ,you can call anytime he would probably welcome it. Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes! Smiley

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #13 - Feb 24th, 2010, 3:50pm

Glad it went well - don't joke about the screw - I actually had one come loose this year!   Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Feb 24th, 2010, 4:38pm

Ditto on the loose screws, I had one a few years back and I could either bend my knee or walk, but not both at the same time. Inner lobe of the quadriceps would get caught on the end of the screw and under load it would keep the leg from straightening out, which made for a funny walk that wouldn't work on Monty Python.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print