Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 14th, 2024, 5:56pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Peachy Keene 200k Permanent (Read 790 times)
Bud_Bent

Peachy Keene 200k Permanent
Feb 28th, 2010, 8:22pm

7 riders left out of southwest Arlington at 7:00 am to ride the Peachy Keene 200k permanent. The three recumbent riders were Nelson, Greg, and me. Considering my present state of riding fitness, I expected this ride to be a struggle, and it was.

This route's 4,500 feet of climbing doesn't compare to the truly hilly 200k permanents, but it's enough to let you know you've been climbing, and felt a lot hillier to me today.

Winds were light as we headed south to start the route, but before we  reached the end of the southbound part of the route at mile 66, the south winds were howling, making the ride very tough for the last 20 miles or so of that southbound leg.  

After fighting all that wind, we were treated to a climb up Orphan Hill, then the route gets considerably easier the rest of the way. Of course, I was pretty much toast by the time I crested Orphan Hill. I really had no issues other than fatigue, and that was to be expected, considering I rode 225 miles this week, after riding less than that the rest of February.

The lead riders dropped me quickly, but Greg and Nelson hung back with me the entire ride, and I really enjoyed myself, even while I was suffering. Greg had done a hillier 200k on Saturday and Nelson claimed to need an easy pace from being a bit out of shape like me, but whatever reason they rode my pace, I appreciate it and really enjoyed their company.

Like usual, traffic was very light on this route, but there seemed to be a disproportionate number of crazy drivers about, I'm guessing because of today's full moon.

It was my first 200k on the 559 HED wheels I rebuilt. I was really pleased with how they performed, and they still run true after the ride. Running 559x25 Conti Grand Prix tires, they handled rough road well and were plenty fast on the downhills so, with 25mm wide tires at least, the aerodynamics is very good. I do feel a strong crosswind a bit more with these wheels, but they handle pretty well, even with the wind. I need to find some 28mm wide tires that I like, to try on them, as well.

Thanks for riding with me, Nelson and Greg! I had a great time.

« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2010, 8:29pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Peachy Keene 200k Permanent
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2010, 1:48am

Which one of your bikes where yall riding?

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2010, 7:53am

I had a great time Bud, I love your route!  Terry I rode my Bacchetta Corsa, the Barcorft Oregon is currently having its front wheel repaired following my discovery of the rim split.  Greg was 'Strong Like Bull" even after riding a tough 200K the day before.  Bud kept claiming to be out of shape but I saw no evidence to support that! I felt much better than I expected up until about the last 30 miles or so, from there I just cruised in with nothing in the tank.  Peachy Keene would be a great summer perm, as there is an unusually high amount of tree cover for a Texas ride!  Thanks for helping me squeak in a February R12 ride.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2010, 10:44am

I was VERY happy just to finish, I can tell you that much.  There's not a whole lot I can add except that I always enjoy this route, and getting to ride with just Bud and Nelson as a small group made it all the more enjoyable.

I was pretty wasted Saturday after Old Dennis, and only did this 200k because I felt I needed to prove to myself that after just a short rest I could get back on the bike and do it again.  Part of building confidence as I move towards the HC600 race in 2 weeks, which to be honest I deperately need.  And even then, I think the only reason I actually got myself out of bed was to see Bud and Nelson.

I'd never done 200ks back to back before.  I had done a century the next day once, and I was sick all day and very whiney.  Yesterday however was WAY different.  In spite of trying out a totally new fuel source two days in a row and battling wind and hills and such in the first 60% of the ride, I was able to endure it.  I was slow, I was sore, but I made it.  Thanks to you guys for helping me get through the tough part.

Once we turned with the wind at our backs I actually started to recover a little, and thanks (I think) to a careful watch on my caloric intake, which I almost never do, I actually felt stronger the more we rode.  My hammertoe on my right foot kept getting worse, but I could have gone faster and faster as time went on had I wanted to.  It's rare that I've ever felt that on a ride, if everr.  It was much more fun to hang back and chat though until I nearly got hit by a car and suddenly had to pee.  Then I had to hammer to the control to make it in time.  Whew!

Had a flat putting my bike ON THE RACK.  Sidewall cut apparently received earlier, but in a rare bit of luck it waited until I was done with the ride.  Thank you, O Gods of cycling!  Please continue to shine on me for 3 more weeks.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print