Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 10th, 2024, 9:24am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The original high racer gets a facelift (Read 2543 times)
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

The original high racer gets a facelift
Feb 18th, 2010, 2:24pm

So...  the Saber didn't fare too well on the trip to Florida and back.  I lost the nut for the QR skewer that holds the seat, and the stop on the "flip-it" style riser apparently bounced around to the point that it tore off.  All that's left is a hole and some twisted metal.  After watching everyone perform at Sebring I have been really tempted to tie up my horse at the tent with the big "B" on it.  So there I was trying to decide how I could finagle the money when it suddenly hit me; I really like the Saber I'm already riding.  At 26 lbs. it's only a couple pounds heavier than a corsa.  I've already got the HED wheels and I really like the color, it's just that the seat is too short on the back, the riding positon isn't all that aero with the higher seat height and the closed arm position makes me a little hot (and a whole lot sweaty).  So, tough as it may be, I made the decision to do my best not to fall in the CRAP (Continuous Recumbent Acquisition Phenomenon) and, as we say in Texas, "dance with the one what brung ya".  The solution:  Carbon seat with adjustable stays and bacchetta bars on a volae riser.  I ordered the seat last night.  It's coming all the way from Great Britain but it was $153 with shipping.  I called the hostel shoppe today and ordered the stays, seat slider and all the hardware to mount the hard shell seat.  The volae is mostly a vision anyway, so most parts fit stock.  As for the steering, I'll wait until I've got the seat installed and positioned as best as I can before making the final decisions.  I'm hoping the end result will be a much more aero profile with increased comfort and upper back support.  Pictures will be posted as parts arrive and get installed...

Happiness is riding home into the sunset.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: The original high racer gets a facelift
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2010, 3:31pm

I'm betting you'll like a Euro style seat and tweener bars on that bike.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2010, 1:24pm

Been wanting to try shorter cranks.  Found a brand new set on Amazon.  FSA GOSSAMER 165mm ISIS Triple Bike Crankset 30/42/53 for $50! Smiley

http://www.amazon.com/FSA-GOSSAMER-165mm-Triple-Crankset/dp/B002JLDP3W/ref=sr_1_ 1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1266607526&sr=8-1

« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2010, 1:25pm by Hurricane Dan »  

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2010, 4:00pm

awesome.  5mm can make a big difference for sure!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2010, 5:59pm

If your replacing the seat, wouldn't that be a butt lift?

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2010, 9:30am

Smiley Actually, I think in my case it's a butt REDUCTION. Tongue

Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2010, 5:04pm

OK, I've seen this alot, what's the deal with shorter cranks?  What the advantage? (Or dis-?)

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2010, 10:57pm

I've been reading a lot on this lately.  Longer cranks increase leverage but decrease your ability to spin.  IF they don't cause you knee pain, they can be helpful in hilly areas, for short rides or time trials, etc.  Shorter cranks reduce your leverage but (to a point) allow a faster cadence.  For many, a faster cadence generally leads to a faster speed.  It really all comes down to your riding style and what you want to accomplish.  I am trying 165mm cranks because I experienced knee pain on trips over about 60 miles last year.  By using shorter cranks, I am decreasing the angle of my knees and using power through a shorter range of motion.  We'll see if it helps.  By most calculations, I should be using this length anyway.  The cranks on my velo are 155mm.  Even spinning, it is easy to lose momentum going uphill, however, the shorter cranks are necessary due to the limited amount of space inside.  I have read that some cyclists will change crank length depending upon the landscape of a given race, but not by more than 2.5mm either way.

Basically, it comes down to this; You can start with a size based on your leg length, then play around with it.  If you are happy with a 70 rpm cadence, then try longer cranks since shorter ones won't help you anyway.  If you would like to spin faster than you do, try shorter cranks.  Have fun and when someone tells you, "You should be using x length cranks because they're scientifically proven to blah, blah, blah" just roll your eyes and walk away.  Wink

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2010, 9:55am

I've recently switched back to 170 from 165 cranks and my knees let out a little sighs of relief.  It seems too small an amount to make that much difference but I'm a masher not a spinner.  The 165's are going on the 650B bike as it needs the ground clearance.

-- Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2010, 8:22pm

Received my order from the Hostel Shoppe in, like, two days!  Installed the adjustable seat stays along with the upper and lower seat brackets.  I didn't get a pic of the headrest but I'm a bit concerned because its supposed to velcro to the seat behind the cushion.  Hmmm....  we'll see how that works.  My new cranks came in today and I'm looking forward to getting them on the bike.  Did I mention I got them for $50?!  Smiley The carbon seat was mailed out Monday from Ocean Cycles in England.  Don't know WHEN I'll get that.  Here are some of the first pics.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print