Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 9th, 2024, 9:29pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Steering stalk questions (Read 1475 times)
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Steering stalk questions
Feb 1st, 2010, 12:01am

As some of you know the silver Baron has been down several months with a broken steering stalk, I received a new one however I get the feeling something isn't right, since I haven't learned yet how to post pictures here (yes Paul I saw your tutorial) so if you could go to my website and take a look at my last post

www.lifeonabaron.blogspot.com

The old stalk fit over the 1" stem on a rubber insert and had a cap with a hex bolt that tightened down eliminating any front/back play in the fork.

Optima a few years ago went to a 1 1/8" fork so they also supplied a small metal insert that fit over my 1" fork tube

The new stalk is taller than the old one which leaves almost a 1" gap between the top of the fork tube and the top of the stem.  I did confirm it is the correct part by looking at the Baron image on Optima's website.

The problem is the top cap from the old setup is not quite large enough to properly fit the hole created by the new stalk and the old hex bolt isn't long enough, getting another hex bolt is easy but what about the cap? I "could" find another longer insert that ends up slightly higher than the stalk then put the cap on or do I just have to get a cap for a 1 1/8th headset?

(I think I just answered my question with the 1 1/8" cap but if anyone has any other ideas please let me know)

« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2010, 12:26am by mleuck »  
  IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Re: Steering stalk questions
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2010, 3:43pm

I thought the cap and bolt on the top of a threadless fork top was just to set the preload. And then the two clamp bolts are tightened to keep it steady.
However your fork is short enough that it doesn't fill the whole clamp and for that matter neither does the insert so uh.

Yeah longer good quality bolt and a good 1 1/8" cap for sure.

Did they suggest a new fork or anything? *shrug* I know folks have been riding around with cruzbikes with the stem half off for sizing issues for a long time and on those your supposed to use the handlebars.  

Me.. I've got one of those quill stems on a threadless fork and so far both my wife's hurricane and mine haven't had issues, at least with the stem/fork.  

Hm.. Preload with the spacer and clamp the bottom. Remove the bolt/cap and bang out the star nut. Get one of those quill  adapters and tighten it up and slip a 1 1/8 inch sterer adapter sleeve on it (which is why you need to move the star nut down)

Then you can tighten down the second clamp and hopefully it'll have eliminated wobble or perhaps creates more.. Hey you didn't say _good_ ideas.

« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2010, 3:45pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2010, 5:46pm

A longer bolt would probably do the job. It's metric, an M6 as I recall.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2010, 6:53pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Feb 1st, 2010, 5:46pm:
A longer bolt would probably do the job. It's metric, an M6 as I recall.

It may not be metric, Optima is odd with bolt sizes

IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2010, 9:40pm

Quote from mleuck on Feb 1st, 2010, 6:53pm:

Carry the bolt to a Home Depot or some such place and compare. I think you'll find it's an M6. You may have to check an industrial supply house to find one as long as you need, though.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2010, 9:47pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Feb 1st, 2010, 9:40pm:
Quote from mleuck on Feb 1st, 2010, 6:53pm:

Carry the bolt to a Home Depot or some such place and compare. I think you'll find it's an M6. You may have to check an industrial supply house to find one as long as you need, though.

Yea the bolt isn't going to be a problem, the shim might but I don't think I'll need it. I'll stop by the local bike shop and get a headset cap.

IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2010, 9:50pm

Quote from evblazer on Feb 1st, 2010, 3:43pm:
I thought the cap and bolt on the top of a threadless fork top was just to set the preload. And then the two clamp bolts are tightened to keep it steady.
However your fork is short enough that it doesn't fill the whole clamp and for that matter neither does the insert so uh.

Yeah longer good quality bolt and a good 1 1/8" cap for sure.

Did they suggest a new fork or anything? *shrug* I know folks have been riding around with cruzbikes with the stem half off for sizing issues for a long time and on those your supposed to use the handlebars.

Haven't spoken with Optima and doubt I need to, the only 1" fork they now offer is only for V-Brakes not disk

Just ordered some SRAM X7 trigger shifters to match what's on the yellow Baron, the existing twist shifters are okay but I like the triggers better and they free up some room on the bars

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print