Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 9th, 2024, 9:31pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Generator Hub (Read 1686 times)
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

New Generator Hub
Jan 29th, 2010, 9:33pm

Mounted up my SON 20R generator hub tonight, connected to my Lumotec CYO headlight on the Barcroft.  Very sweet.  The SON 20R has much lower drag than the regular SON 28, and the shimano generator.  I knew that on paper, but it is very noticeably better,  Took the time to rotate my tires as well.  Now just hope I get a chance for some all night rides this year, work promises to be a bear this year!  --Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: New Generator Hub
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2010, 3:25pm

The light goes out when you stop? or is there a storage battery that would allow the light to stay on for a short period of time like at a stop light.  The long distance riders wouldnt have to worry about batteries but  short commutes would need a battery light. right?  Anyone local who has the hubs/lights ?   

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2010, 4:35pm

The Lumotec has a very excellent standlight, driven by capacitor I suspect.  It lasts quite a long time, not as bright as when moving, but enough for cars to see you waiting at the light.  -- Take Care, Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2010, 12:50am

Quote from Kwijybow on Jan 29th, 2010, 9:33pm:
Mounted up my SON 20R generator hub tonight, connected to my Lumotec CYO headlight on the Barcroft.  Very sweet.  The SON 20R has much lower drag than the regular SON 28, and the shimano generator.  I knew that on paper, but it is very noticeably better,  Took the time to rotate my tires as well.  Now just hope I get a chance for some all night rides this year, work promises to be a bear this year!  --Nelson.

Dumb question but with the current state of battery lights why would one use a generator light?

IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2010, 1:15am

Well there is still a trade off between brightness, and runtime.  For a ride in the dark of a few hours this is not a problem.  But to be able to run all night, or at least half a night without changing batteries, you have to run at a dimmer light level.  It is very reassuring to be able to pedal all night in the middle of nowhere and not worry about running out light.  I still have a single light as a backup in case something fails however.  Also it can be a real pain to charge batteries constantly for commuting.  Also rechargeable batteries, even AA's do not last forever, and often as with tires, the wear and tear take them out of service early.  Also the battery lights I have been running, while nice, are also subject to wear an tear and road vibration.  Contacts have to be cleaned regularly, threads get worn out etc.   Always having a generator and a light on the bike is nice from a planning and maintenance standpoint.   A generator hub is a luxury really, not a necessity, but they are valid reasons for prefering them.  I have some desire to do a 1000-1200K in the future, and it will be nice to have the light situation covered.  -- Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2010, 9:04pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Feb 1st, 2010, 1:15am:
Well there is still a trade off between brightness, and runtime.  For a ride in the dark of a few hours this is not a problem.  But to be able to run all night, or at least half a night without changing batteries, you have to run at a dimmer light level.  It is very reassuring to be able to pedal all night in the middle of nowhere and not worry about running out light.  I still have a single light as a backup in case something fails however.  Also it can be a real pain to charge batteries constantly for commuting.  Also rechargeable batteries, even AA's do not last forever, and often as with tires, the wear and tear take them out of service early.  Also the battery lights I have been running, while nice, are also subject to wear an tear and road vibration.  Contacts have to be cleaned regularly, threads get worn out etc.   Always having a generator and a light on the bike is nice from a planning and maintenance standpoint.   A generator hub is a luxury really, not a necessity, but they are valid reasons for prefering them.  I have some desire to do a 1000-1200K in the future, and it will be nice to have the light situation covered.  -- Nelson.

Thanks for the info, never thought of it like that

IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2010, 9:27pm

Quote from mleuck on Feb 1st, 2010, 9:04pm:
Quote from Kwijybow on Feb 1st, 2010, 1:15am:

Thanks for the info, never thought of it like that

That cause you only ride flat trails in the daytime, ya big pansy! Smiley

Trufthfully I hadn't thought about a 1200k aspect.  My little batteries give me 6 hours each with a lot of light, so I'm good for 12 hours of darkness.  Guess I'll just have to pick up 2 sets for PBP, eh?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2010, 9:52pm

Well I've been OK for a couple of years changing batteries every 6 hours or so, and no drag is nice.  However compared to all my past generators the SON 20R is very low drag.  The Lumotec CYO is one bright light.  Still not completely happy with the mounting I have though.  I guess if it doesn't ultimately work out for me I'll trade it for a nice battery light like Greg's.  -- Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print