Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 1:16pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A couple good rides.... (Read 472 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

A couple good rides....
Jan 18th, 2010, 6:54pm

Saturday's 200k was questionable with the weather, and when I arrived only Gary and Shellene were there - and Gary was bailing and doing a short later ride.  I made what I thought was a good attempt to do the same and then Shellene cracked the whip, so I hopped on the bike and we took off.  Damp roads and cold made for slow going at first, but as the sun lightened we picked up the pace and the sun came out so we stopped and shed a layer.

What a ripoff!  The sun went back behind the clouds at the lipan control and never came back.  Matter of fact, it got colder and while you couldn't say it was raining exactly, my glasses were getting drops all over them, as well as my clothes.   When we stopped at the second control I was feeling the chipseal and wet and so we sat a bit and Shellene waited while I had a hot breakfast at the diner.  

I was feeling out of juice and "brain mushed" and just turning the pedals even before Cherry Pie Hill so I was in a bit of trouble.  Shellene led me through it and we rolled in slowly to the last control at mile 109.  I downed some monster, a bag of dates, a little chocolate, and some of my wheatless cookie.  

That did the trick - we booked it all the way to the finish.  10 hours, 156 watt average and 16mph.  Not my finest hour, but I later realized much of my problems (besides my normal chipseal/kryptonite) were caloric.  I had hardly eaten the last couple days and it shoed in my riding.

In spite of all that, as usual, this will go down as one of my most fun 200ks.  I haven't ridden with Shellene much and she was an absolute hoot to watch as she destroyed my up every hill and the flats too!  I had her on the downhill though - Force = Mass * Acceleration!  She was great company - thanks Shellene for making me do it and getting me through it!

Sunday I rode early at my house intending to ride with Bud when he called around noon.  I came home at 11 and promptly fell asleep.  Sorry Bud!

Today was cool though - I got my wife out for a change and I rode the single speed DF to the Yucatan Taco Stand down on magnolia.  Great food and I really enjoyed the 14 miles on the upright, though hills make for quite a different story on a SS!  It was just nice to be out with Alexis.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
shellenefoster

rbent member

Re: A couple good rides....
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2010, 8:52am

Saturday's ride was great!  It was wet and cold, but the weather could have been worse.  Mostly it was good company and some good hills that made the ride.  

In Graford I had ridden about 20 feet in front of Greg and I heard Greg holler "Dog!"  Well, I booked it and left poor Greg behind me to deal with a whole pack of dogs.  Later I nearly fell off my bike laughing when he repaid the favor coming in to Weatherford.  What great fun Smiley
Shellene

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print