Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 1:13pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Rears Ride (Read 1115 times)
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

New Rears Ride
Jan 1st, 2010, 4:20pm

Due to all the inclimate weather lately, it's been tough to get some good, short(but intense) training rides completed outside. So yesterday morning, I thought about Bikin' Mikes annual New Rears Day ride. There are 3 route distances, 12, 28, & 38 miles.  

After working overnight, I came home long enough to change into riding clothes & headed to Blue Ridge(where the ride starts). I knew from attending Bikin' Mikes spin classes that rides starts from 10-11:00am. Based on this mornings cold temps, I was in no hurry to make the 10:00am start time.
The route makes a clockwise circle from Blue Ridge, Princeton, SqueezePenny, etc...back to Blue Ridge.
And it's always a pleasure to ride past the Blue Ridge transfer station(nice world for dump). The place always smells winter or summer.

I arrived around 10:15 at the Blue Ridge community center , got registered, said hello to Mile & his wife & unloaded the bike & headed out. I started at 10:32, & not sure what the temperature was ,but it wasn't bad-really. And there was virtually no wind during the entire ride.

Just after Princeton, I passed John Sadowiski & shouted "hello"(sorry John, I was trying keep the rhythm going, & I didn't even see Corsa Ken next to him, sorry Ken). About 10 minutes later I came up on a Car-bent, I said hello & kept going(not knowing is was Jay).  

I finished shortly before 12:30pm. Bikin Mike has a Homemade black eye peas & corn bread waiting in the community center. I scarfed down beans & corn bread. Good stuff. It was starting to warm up outside, so I walked around in the town square(that doesn't take long). I see Corsa Ken's car in a parking space, but I didn't see him on the ride. Just then , Jay comes rolling in & we talked for a while, & Ken & John roll in. Time for more cornbread for me, while they ate.

It's been too long since I've seen John & Ken, & it was nice to meet Jay. We ate & talked for a while, then it was time to head home.

This was the perfect ride/distance for me considering the cold morning temperatures. Those that rode this morning's brevet from Arlington, I feel for ya, I've been there & can honestly say I don't care much for the cold on a 200k bike ride.

Mike puts on a good pay ride(as those that have ridden the Collin Classic, etc...know). This route shares some of the same roads as the Collin Classic. It shares a lot of the same roads as 2/3  LSR populaires/permanents. My Garmin 305 read 1,468' of climbing. As typical for the area, there is a fair share of chip seal ,but not horrible, especially for the distance.  

It was good to see old friends & meet knew ones.  

Happy New Year everyone.  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Re: Old Rear Ride
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2010, 7:54pm

Steve, missed you today, it was a wonderful day for a 200k (if you're a polar bear).

Shellene and I showed up at the ride start, and had the pleasant surprise of seeing Mr. Barlow back on a bike (even if it was his DF), as well as Mark M on his DF (since he's training for RAW on it, I can understand).  There were a total of 42 riders for the 200k, and I believe 18 for the 100k that started at 10 AM.  Hopefully we'll get a write up from one of the 'bents that rode that one as well.  

We were just getting ready to roll when I noticed that there was a rub with my Aerobag, so well everyone else rolled out I raised my seat up a couple of inches to make sure I had clearance.  I think that the Aerobag is too lose on the carbon seat, and shifted with the gear in it, since it didn't rub on the trainer.  Time to take a needle and thread to it.  We managed to catch the main pack, and rolled past a time/temp sign that read 28 degrees, that makes sense since my water bottle was growing ice (instead of the normal green stuff that it grows).  Most of the roads were dry, but there were enough frozen puddles that everyone was very cautious about calling out ice.  At one point we climbed a hill on a tree lined road that had a very thin sheet of ice on it, I could hear the ice cracking under my wheels.

Once it warmed up, it was a good riding day, since we also didn't have any wind.  After we left Italy I had to stop, I was getting tire rub on my seat stay.  It seems that when I adjusted it in the dark I didn't get them even.  That meant that we were chasing for a bit.  At one point I asked Shellene to pull me at 17.5 MPH while I sat in as we tried to bridge.  I looked over her shoulder and she was holding between 19 and 20 MPH with no problem.

On the way back, we passed the same time/temp sign and it had warmed up to 48.  Shortly afterward we were at Dan's for the post ride party.  I completed my first long ride since November with no knee pain, just very sore legs.  We finished in 8:45, which was 14 minutes slower that we did it in last year on our DFs.  I think that Shellene could have finished faster, but she waited for me, and I am out of shape.

The numbers:
127.18 miles in 7:26 ride time (17.1 MPH rolling average)
4264' elevation gain
88 RPM
35 Subway 6" Veggie Delights burned (time to eat healthy)

Bryan

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: New Rears Ride
Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2010, 9:06pm

You both are such strong riders. Good to hear the knee pain is gone.  Yes, we both missed not riding with the group today. I didn't get off work until 8:30am, so I would already been DQ'd on time at by the first control. I had a good time on the bike today.  

We'll try a 200k next Saturday, weather permitting.  

My avg. today was 20.0 mph. 1 hr-53mins,07 secs (37.77 miles). I'm not sure about the H/R data because I was using Peggy's Garmin(since mine was destroyed by the pick-up that hit me). At least I was able to get my helmet replaced already.  

I hope the BUC Aero bag issues are not a sign of things to come. I just ordered one.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
shellenefoster

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2010, 1:13pm

Quote from AustinSkater on Jan 1st, 2010, 7:54pm:
At one point I asked Shellene to pull me at 17.5 MPH while I sat in as we tried to bridge.  I looked over her shoulder and she was holding between 19 and 20 MPH with no problem.

Ok now, you are not supposed to be peeking when you ask some one to pace ya  Wink
Since you did.....  One interpretation would be that when Bryan asked what pace we were riding, we were on a slight up hill, traveling at 16.5mph.  He requested a pull at 17.5mph which translates to an increase of 1mph AVERAGE speed.  So of course on the flats we were going faster than 17.5, but I held it to 17.5 on the slight climbs.  

Another interpretation could be that I had just had too much coffee on a really cold morning  Smiley

We really did miss seeing all the bents out there, but we know what schedules are like!  Besides, I went all the way to Houston just to get rides in the slightly warmer climate over the weekend, and I'm heading south again to San Antonio this coming weekend.  (The weather may not be better, but the hills sure will be!)

I'm trying to ride myself back into shape and the weather is just not cooperating.  We are all in for more trainer time than we want this winter.  Cold is ok for me (since I've started wearing wool instead of synthetics), but cold and wet is miserable.  I'm thinking about cutting a poncho to put over my rain jacket so that the water might not come in through the zipper.  Has anyone tried this?  I am so desperate for methods of not getting drenched if it starts raining during a long ride that I'm even thinking of putting a foam wedge under the poncho to get the water to drain off instead of pooling.  I need a light weight, low volume solution to have with me on the unsupported Hill Country 600k, so if anyone has ideas, please share!

Y'all stay warm and dry, Shellene

IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2010, 4:44pm

Quote from AustinSkater on Jan 1st, 2010, 7:54pm:
and I am out of shape.

Sandbagger!   Roll Eyes

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Re: New Rears Ride
Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2010, 8:42pm

Quote from Killer Bee on Jan 1st, 2010, 9:06pm:

I hope the BUC Aero bag issues are not a sign of things to come. I just ordered one.

I modified mine this weekend by pulling it tight against the seat and folding the excess material over.  Once it was all safety pinned I sewed it flat.  It seems to be a stabler bag now, but we shall see.

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print