Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 30th, 2024, 1:14pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Commuter / Rando? bike (Read 2311 times)
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

New Commuter / Rando? bike
Sep 18th, 2009, 9:02pm

Got a new bike a couple of weeks ago, so of course its rained constantly since its been ready to roll.
I commuted most of the week (In the RAIN) to start the break in process.  Will remove the rack for the ocaisional rando ride)

So far its been great.  The drive train needed a little attention when I got it, and currently have a temporary fix in place until I finally dial it in.
I must say I've been pleasantly surprised by the sweet handling and how well it fits me.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: New Commuter / Rando? bike
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2009, 9:21pm

Nice looking bike! What Barcroft model is it? Are you trying to challenge Greg and Joe for bike buying numbers?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2009, 9:22pm

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Bike looks great Nelson!  I was looking at that bike alot when it was up on BROL I am glad it came up to NT and it isn't in my workshop Smiley Is there much room outside of the Stelvios? I may have a pair of kojaks I could bring down to TTTT and you could borrow to try out or see if they'll fit. I'll be interested to see what you think of the 20's on the rando routes if you take it out.  

Edit2: Bud it's the Oregon that was up for sale on BROL for a while (although I thought I'd be the only one here who looked at it twice)

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2009, 10:11pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2009, 9:38pm

Barcarofts are great bikes.   Congrats!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2009, 9:45pm

Well I'm trying to sell off most of the uprights, and will stash one at my Mom's so I will only have 3 bikes - all bents (like some others here I know  Wink )

Its a Barcroft Oregon, supposedly only about 8 or so exist.

Mark Thank you for the Kojak offer, but currently the wheelset is 451. I'm looking into a 406 wheelset for commuting and allowing wider tires.  The front fork has lots of room, the rear triangle is pretty tight for anything wider.  I tried a 37mm primo comet in 451 and it wouldn't fit, but just barely.  So I think a 406 wheelset will allow me to run the wider tires.  It rides much smoother than I expected with the Stelvio's though, the steel frame really soaks up the bumps and even chip seal.

funny story about this particular bike, I've been lusting after it specifically since the original owner took possesion in 2005-2006 and posted pictures on the web.  A new one was much more than the price of the Corsa I ultimately bought though.  Last year the original owner sold it to a fellow in Austin (his first bent no less!) and I guess he gravitated to a CF bike and put it up for sale through easy street recumbents.  I've been hesitating for a couple of months but finally decided to give in and give it a try.  

Glad I did.  It really allows me to get the ideal position.  The one issue I've had with the Bacchetta's is that for my leg length they are a bit high, which I've learned to deal with fine, but also to adjust to my size, I'm at the forward limit of the seat range, which besides raising the seat, also lowers the BB / Seat Height differential.  So in fact my cranks are much closer to level than I would like for really recruiting my Glutes, and not my Knee extensors, and Quads.  The Barcroft with its bent tube allows me to get what most normal sized people already enjoy on the Bacchetta, and that is a near ideal BB / SH relationship.    Also the thing is so stable I can ride it no hands for a bit.  I'm sure if all the cables didn't interfere with the steering  a bit I could do so as long as I wished.  For me the Corsa has always been a little on the twitchy side.  The Strada is much more stable in contrast.  I really notice that near the end of a 400 or 600K.  So far it feels pretty quick, but it remains to be seen if it is quick over distance as the Corsa.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2009, 9:57pm

Hey Greg, if your buddy Garrie ever gets his Oregon Coroplast liner kits / instructions going I'm a candidate!

Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2009, 10:18pm

Is the bike a disc only in the rear (is it 100 mm spacing?).. I actually have a wheelset that I think is identical to that except it is rim brake only in the 406 size. Not sure if the bike has the ability to put a caliper or v-brake in the back but if it did or if you just wanted to try just the FWD front wheel just let me know.

Here they are on the hurricane when I took my other wheels to the shop.

PS. I'm not using them and have no plans with them for at least 6 months so they are just collecting dust at the moment, right next to the pair of kojaks in fact. Hanging nicely from hooks in the ceiling in my workshop. Yes Ray my shop is all organized I should take pictures of my bike shop now that everything has a place and I have more room.

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2009, 10:21pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2009, 2:41pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Sep 18th, 2009, 9:57pm:
Hey Greg, if your buddy Garrie ever gets his Oregon Coroplast liner kits / instructions going I'm a candidate!  

there's a lot of stuff on the wisil site about how to make such things.  You can likely adapt something...

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #8 - Sep 19th, 2009, 9:47pm

Good fun seeing the Oregon this morning, I hadn't seen this thread...  Sorry you had the mechanical troubles today, but it seemed to be working for you pretty well, overall.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #9 - Sep 19th, 2009, 10:28pm

Hi Paul,

I somewhat expected something to go wrong, a tire bead separation and knocking the brakes off without a tool to fix them was really nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with Schwalbe and operator error.  Hopefully rectified for the next ride.  I was happy I didn't seem slower than when on the Corsa. It was great to get to ride together today!

Mark the Oregon is currently a disc only on the back (front wheel) and using V-brakes in the front since the capreo hub doesn't come in a disc flavor.  There is a mount for a disc brake on the fork though.  So basically would need a rim brake compatible rear wheel, and a disc brake compatible front wheel with standard MTB spacing 100mm, 135mm  I believe.

Take Care,
Nelson.

« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2009, 10:32pm by Kwijybow »  

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print