Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 18th, 2024, 12:43pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
TTTT course ride (Read 3247 times)
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Re: TTTT course ride
Reply #15 - Aug 23rd, 2009, 4:07pm

The laws/rules state that you are to stop at all stop signs, stop lights. So how is the fact that we have 4 stops, one yield and one stop light a problem? All riders will have to endure the same things.  

In comparing the 2 courses, my best time on the old course was 1hour 4 mins( 19.Mph). Most of my runs were 1hour 7 mins(18.4MPH).
Yesterday I had an early morning ride in the rain, at 17.1MPh on fresh legs. My second lap was 18.7 MPH .That was a pace I could  have had done 4 or 5 times,like on a team or 6 hour event. So with that being said, maybe the training is paying off a little being a little faster on a longer harder course Cheesy.

What ever the course ends up being I will do. But mostly I like not be dodging the big big trucks. AND to have a hotel(and other lodging close by), food, real bathroom, & convenience store close by is a huge improvement from the previous TT course.  

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #16 - Aug 24th, 2009, 5:52am

Quote from Pedalin` Peggy on Aug 23rd, 2009, 4:07pm:
My second lap was 18.7 MPH .

Peggy - OMG, your 2nd lap was 18.7!  IMHO, that's absolutely awesome.  I doubt many will be able to average 18.7, even on relay teams.  

CONGRATULATIONS

Smiley

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #17 - Aug 24th, 2009, 8:39pm

That was a fun ride, I am looking forward to the Tejas 500.  However, I am not looking forward to that 4-way stop 19 times Smiley  Is it possible to do a track stand on a Corsa?

I rode an 18 mile warmup, and then 3 laps on the course.

Lap 1:  1:22, 19.1 MPH, 116 BPM, 84 RPM, 2 Sonic Bacon Cheeseburgers
Lap 2:  1:19, 19.9 MPH, 130 BPM, 88 RPM, 3 Sonic Burgers
Lap 3:  1:26, 18.4 MPH, 125 BPM, 83 RPM, 2 Sonic Bacon Cheeseburgers

Hopefully the Sonic is open 24 hours, or I may have a problem around 2 AM Saturday.

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2009, 7:50am by AustinSkater »  

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #18 - Aug 24th, 2009, 9:21pm

Unfortunately I have to report that the Sonic is not 24hr, I checked this very important piece of information and was quite disappointed to discover that they close at 10pm.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #19 - Aug 24th, 2009, 9:41pm

Hey , a guy  like me  that like cheeseburger.  Can you say cheeseburger  cheeseburger  cheeseburger..  Grin  Grin  Grin
 Later Thomas J    Smiley

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #20 - Aug 30th, 2009, 6:59pm

Kent, gary, and I rode the course today.  It's an order of magnitutde harder than last year's course.  It's like the extra 7 miles are all climbing.  Some of that chipseal is nasty, and the start is an immediate climb and bumpy bumpy.  It was straight into the wind today as well.

About 4 miles in we were quickly passed by an SUV with a corsa on the back.  Turned out to be Dennis Johnson from Houston.  He came in last night to do a night loop and a morning one.

We took it easy, only hammering if there was a downhill before a big climb.  Just recovering from yesterday and taking good notes on the loop.  We finished in 1:40.  Should be about the pace for the last couple loops for me I bet, but we're hoping to maintain a 17mph average through the event.  I think that'll mean Kent with a 20 and me with a 14 Smiley.  He just rocketed up the climbc at an easy pace for him, as he always does, waiting for me at the next intersection.

Great BBQ afterwards and it's all good!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #21 - Aug 31st, 2009, 9:09am

:^) I wish I could average 20 on that course during the race!  I think that will be a pretty good race course though. Maybe around mile 18-20 or so there might be a little problem with car traffic but overall I think it will be pretty decent. Will have to take notes on the bridge descent for nighttime if I decide to go hard on that one. Appeared to be a couple of small holes that might get a little exciting. Maybe we could go back and take a closer look and maybe mark them with spray paint to make it easier to see at night.  The big hill with the descent just before it was precisely what I expected from the picture that was posted last week. I hit exactly 40mph at the bottom without hammering too hard - about what I think I'd do during the race - and held it above 25mph to about 2/3rds up where the little flare and left bend is I finally had to gear down to 4th or maybe 3rd gear and start spinning, so I won't need the little ring on this course and I think I'll swap out for an 11-28 instead of my 11-32 that I have to run around here.

Unfortunately it's not a fast course where a bent will shine like the HHH was, but it's not a killer course like the roads around here would be. And I'm really glad I won't have to use my little ring. That got really old on the HC600 last spring.  

I get pretty conflicted as to what cranks to use on the CA2. Unless I race in a mountain range or the HC600 again, OR I want to ride home... I won't need a triple. And if I jump up to a 170 double I could get a decent power meter for a decent price... Thinking I'll end up having to swap cranks like swapping rear wheels that way though. Maybe I just need to get used to walking the bike up my hill and get a power meter on a double... :^(  But don't worry, I'm not changing this soon before the TTTT. :^)

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #22 - Sep 1st, 2009, 2:26pm

My daughter and I will be out marking the course Sunday the 20th before the week of the race.  In addition to marking the turns, I will try to mark potholes like the one after the bridge on Brazos Point Rd.  In addition to my smaller arrow, and TT lettering I have a nice big arrow template now - bought especially for the turn onto Brazos Point Rd. (seems everybody is missing this one!). Hopefully this will help folks stay on course.  Hopefully also I will not get arrested for painting up the roadway.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #23 - Sep 1st, 2009, 3:02pm

Bless You, Nelson!  That is fabulous. Thank you so much for taking care of that. That turn in the pitch dark would be iffy enough at speed and with what looked like potholes (not sure if that's what they actually were) that could spell disaster during the race.  If they arrest you, tell them they should be arresting TxDOT and their contractors first for destruction of public property and criminal endangerment for destroying tx roads as they have been doing. You are trying to make the roads safer.

TxDot just destroyed Hwy 16 that I live off of this weekend. 4 lane divided highway with a wide shoulder and now boulder seal with an inch or two of loose gravel everywhere. The road is down to one lane each direction from the cars throwing the loose gravel out of that one path. Of course, you can't ride a road bike in that stuff so I had to ride into town today in the left-hand lane as that's the only place I could ride, backing up traffic for quite a ways. Surprisingly the drivers actually got it and didn't crowd or honk or anything.

I noticed that TTTT director said they were donating the proceeds to the Texas Bicycle Coalition. When I register I'll be asking them to donate my part of it to some other bicycle charity as the T.B.C not only refused to help us fight TxDOT from removing shoulders in order to get cyclists off public roads, but went ballistic when I asked them why they were refusing. Sounds more like they've been infiltrated by developers only wanting to build bike lanes and bike paths as I've seen so many other places. If I'm wrong, I'll certainly apologize... after they actually get serious about stopping TxDot.

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print