Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 5th, 2024, 4:32am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
TTTT course ride (Read 3225 times)
Bud_Bent

TTTT course ride
Aug 22nd, 2009, 5:31pm

There were riders from all over on the course today, including Dexter and company from Del Rio, and an Austin rider. LSR upright rider Todd M also rode.  

I did two laps, starting shortly after 8:00, with a nice break between laps. It had come an early morning downpour at Glen Rose, and a lot of the course was still wet, even with puddles in places. When the sun got high, the water on the ground made the humidity high, and it was a much hotter day than I was expecting.  

I had planned on riding three laps, but between the heat and the hills on this loop, I was done after two. Randonneurs Steve, Peggy, Paul, Bryan, and Shellene were there, as were riders I see less often, Thomas, Robert, and Brian. Great seeing y'all! It was also nice meeting Frank, who rode on his P-38.  

Some came early and did extra laps and some settled for one lap. Those of us who were still there at noon headed to the Pasta Fina in Granbury for an excellent lunch. I ended up with 53.0 miles at a slower pace than I'm going to post here. I had a great time; thanks for putting this together, Paul!

« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2009, 5:31pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: TTTT course ride
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2009, 6:00pm

Agreed, it was nice to see the usual suspects & new faces or people I haven't seen in a very long while . Peggy & I got caught in an early morning shower(on hwy 56) for about 5-10 minutes. Then ,as bud said, the sun & humidity made an appearance & made for an uncomfortable ride. Peggy & I ended up with 3 laps(which about 8/9 laps over the past 3 weekends).

Every time I ride the course, I learn something new. Thanks Paul for making this ride come together.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2009, 6:38pm

Thanks all for coming out, especially the ones who braved something new!!!  Riding this course is definitely a mental adjustment after the familiarity of the old one -- not only is it 30% longer, it's also got significantly more rollers and longer climbs out of the rollers.  There's a fairly long climb after only three miles, and at least three other climbs along the way that brought me down to 8 mph... but also some fairly nice (albeit too short) 40mph downhills!

Special thanks go to Rodney, who agreed to let me borrow his Xstream for the weekend's fun.  I just got this itch to try to make some comparisons to last year's course on a similar bike to last year...

On my first lap, after starting with the main group, I hung back with Thomas and Frank for a while, using some caution on the still-wet road surface.  Then confirming that they were going to stay together, I caught up with Robert and Bryan and rode the middle third with them, then did my own pace for the last third, fnishing the first lap in 1:45 overall.

As Bud said, we took a long break, and waited for Robert, Brian, Frank, and Thomas to roll in, figuring that they might not be up for a second lap.  Thanks to Steve for driving a few miles back out the course to make sure Thomas and Frank were making their way in all right!!!!  And thanks to you four for coming out, and good to meet you, Frank!!

Bud, Steve, Peggy, and I went out for a second lap, and it was already getting kinda toasty.  I decided to try a "relay race" lap pace calibration, and the others were going to take it at a slower pace, so right off the start, I was off on my own.  

On last year's course, my approximate average lap speed was 22.5 mph for the 20 miles, typically finishing in 53 minutes and change.  On this course, with the caveat of being a few pounds heavier and not having ridden an Xstream for 6 months, I averaged 19.5 mph, finishing in 1:22.  I took some "benchmark" time readings at various landmarks, which I'll compile and list later, for anyone who's interested.

I've also got lots of photos to compile, showing some of the great downhills and nasty climb sections, that I'll probably have up tomorrow.

This course is definitely tougher than the old one, and not just because of the distance.  I really missed that wonderful (comparatively speaking) last 5 miles of the old course, that was mostly a downhill ending with Goatneck Hill.   None of that silliness, here, although the three miles going in to Glen Rose is pretty sweet -- I was typically rolling at ~35 through this section.

More to come...
PB

« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2009, 6:51pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2009, 11:13pm

Sorry I missed it.  I'm afraid my body just wasn't up to it.  I'm out of my sleepy-pills, and insomnia made sure that the 3 hous of sleep I got made me ill and unable to wake up this morning.   I'm probably headed out there tomorrow.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2009, 7:54am

OK, I mentioned making some time references along the course, for a "relay sprint" (YMMV)...  Here are some relative markers to use, if you like, based upon my one hour 22 minute lap time:

Location and Distance                           Time

Nemo  (6 milies)                                   20 min

Johnson Cty Line and nasty climb           30 min

Brazos Crossing Bridge (11.6 mi)           37 min

Halfway Point onto Hwy 56  (13.4 mi)     42 min

Nice Hwy 56 downhill             51 min

Somervell County Line ( 19.25 mi)   60 min

Glen Rose City Limit (24.25 mi)        75 min

The Finish (26.4 mi)         82 min

« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2009, 1:54pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

robert.j

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2009, 8:24am

Good to meet up with everyone and ride some new (to me) territory.  I think it had been over a year since seeing Steve and Peggy, and it was the first time to meet Bryan, Shellene, Frank and Thomas.  I appreciated getting to roll along with Paul for a while and catch up and of course it's always good to see Bud out there.  Of course, most of that is just at the start as they dissappear over the horizon pretty quickly!  Mostly Brian and I stayed fairly close throughout the route.
When loading up the truck that morning I could see significant lightning off in the distance to the west.  I thought "just my luck.  Finally get out of town for a ride with some other rbenters and there's a storm when none were predicted."  I checked the radar around 6:00 AM and sure enough, there's a cell right over Glen Rose.  Fortunately it pooped out before we arrived, but as others have mentioned, did leave the road wet in a few places.
I never rode last years TTT course, so don't have a point of comparison, but this seems like a pretty tough layout.  Almost no flat spots, either ascending or descending almost everywhere.  I didn't think there were any particularly daunting hills (maybe only four or five times I had to go to the middle chainring) but lots of them.  I think I averaged a little under 15 but didn't push at all.  Knowing what to expect on the course now, I think I could have been in the 16s without too much trouble.
I wish you guys that are doing this race the best.  It will be a challenge!

« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2009, 8:29am by robert.j »  

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2009, 10:03am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Aug 23rd, 2009, 7:54am:
OK, I mentioned making some time references along the course...  Here are some relative markers to use, if you like, based upon my one hour 22 minute lap time:

Johnson Cty Line and nasty climb     30 min

Thanks for the pics and notes. Is this climb representative of the harder climbs? From the picture, it looks like you could hit around 40 on the downhill and power about 2/3rds the way up to that last little flair so that shouldn't be a big problem, but of course photographs tend to distort reality.... How many more climbs like this one are there?

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2009, 11:11am

Paul ,nice disclaimer. Your times/markers are good, but as you said vary depending on on the event. For a single lap/6 hr event those times would fine, but not on any of the longer distances, IMO.  

"This course is definitely tougher than the old one, and not just because of the distance.  I really missed that wonderful (comparatively speaking) last 5 miles of the old course, that was mostly a downhill ending with Goatneck Hill.   None of that silliness, here, although the three miles going in to Glen Rose is pretty sweet -- I was typically rolling at ~35 through this section."  Paul, not you don't. Go ride the old course now & tell me you miss it. I dare you. http://rbentonline.org/Smilies/smiley.gif

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2009, 11:26am

Quote from goatstick on Aug 23rd, 2009, 10:03am:
Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Aug 23rd, 2009, 7:54am:
OK, I mentioned making some time references along the course...  Here are some relative markers to use, if you like, based upon my one hour 22 minute lap time:

Johnson Cty Line and nasty climb     30 min

Thanks for the pics and notes. Is this climb representative of the harder climbs? From the picture, it looks like you could hit around 40 on the downhill and power about 2/3rds the way up to that last little flair so that shouldn't be a big problem, but of course photographs tend to distort reality.... How many more climbs like this one are there?

Kent, County line hill is probably the steepest climb on the course.There are 3 or 4 climbs on the back side of the course, at mile 15 which is around 8-9%, then a smaller roller short after at mile 15.3 at 5% ,then some more rollers. Mile 21-22(?) has a longer slow grade 1-2% for 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile ,then down hill to the finish.  Sometimes, it's not the biggest hill the kicks your butt, but some of the smaller ones depending on where they are on the course.

The wind always seems to play a factor at TT's. Hwy 56 was pretty much into the wind  yesterday(or so it seemed).

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #9 - Aug 23rd, 2009, 11:46am

Quote from Killer Bee on Aug 23rd, 2009, 11:26am:

Kent, County line hill is probably the steepest climb on the course.There are 3 or 4 climbs on the back side of the course, at mile 15 which is around 8-9%, then a smaller roller short after at mile 15.3 at 5% ,then some more rollers. Mile 21-22(?) has a longer slow grade 1-2% for 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile ,then down hill to the finish.  Sometimes, it's not the biggest hill the kicks your butt, but some of the smaller ones depending on where they are on the course.

The wind always seems to play a factor at TT's. Hwy 56 was pretty much into the wind  yesterday(or so it seemed).

Ok. Almost every route we have around here has several climbs longer and steeper but usually at the end of a long, shallow climb instead of a descent, plus lots of wind here too, so I feel a lot better about the course now. :^) (We don't mind hills so much, as they block the wind :^) Several of use plan on checking the course out on Sunday on the way back from HHH, so I'll have a much better idea after that. Thanks!!! I suspect this course might be easier than one of our flattest rides - the 50 miles of Loop 1604 access road from Hwy 16 up to Green Mtn and back, especially since you don't have to stop at a stoplight every mile or so.

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - Aug 23rd, 2009, 12:51pm

Quote:
When you guys ride it, please let me know what you think about the Grace St turn vs. going to the light on Barnard St / TX-144 (one less turn, but a light).  

Nelson.

Nelson, I didn't ride down Grace Street, but I definitely think having riders going through downtown Glen Rose at that intersection of Barnard is going to be a problem.  Not only is the four-way stop relatively blind as to what is approaching from the left, but your descending a hill approaching the intersection, which makes you want to blow through it.  But you've also got a bunch of parked cars along Barnard directly after turning right at that intersection, and somebody could get doored.

If Grace Street is in good shape, I think it'll be safer, but they will also have to be careful re-entering Barnard at the end of Grace -- they may need a spotter there full time.

« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2009, 12:58pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #11 - Aug 23rd, 2009, 1:01pm

Quote from Killer Bee on Aug 23rd, 2009, 11:11am:
 Paul, not you don't. Go ride the old course now & tell me you miss it. I dare you.  Smiley  

No, No, No, I didn't say I miss the old course...   I said I miss the LAST FIVE MILES of it, from the Retreat to the finish....  Wink   If I saw a taillight anywhere along this stretch, I was gonna catch it quickly, including speedy Dallas Morris on our first lap.

« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2009, 1:02pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #12 - Aug 23rd, 2009, 1:06pm

Quote from goatstick on Aug 23rd, 2009, 10:03am:

To a certain extent, yes.  There were three or four climbs, this one included, that I wound up powering up while I could, but eventually settling in at an ~8.5mph pace at to finish them, despite going into them at 30+.

power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Aug 23rd, 2009, 1:41pm

Hey guys, it was great riding and meeting you guys. That was a great experiencse ride and climbing those hills. I was glad that I didn't have to walk any.To tell you the truth, I want to ride it again. As soon as I get my truck legal, I will be going down there for training.I know my bike is heavy, but think what it will do when i get a new bike that only weigh in 25 LBs and myself lighter..
 I didn't have my computer on my bike, that one hill going down I was flying.See you guys soon again.
 Later Thomas J  Smiley

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #14 - Aug 23rd, 2009, 3:26pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Aug 23rd, 2009, 12:51pm:
Quote:
When you guys ride it, please let me know what you think about the Grace St turn vs. going to the light on Barnard St / TX-144 (one less turn, but a light).  

Nelson.

Nelson, I didn't ride down Grace Street, but I definitely think having riders going through downtown Glen Rose at that intersection of Barnard is going to be a problem.  Not only is the four-way stop relatively blind as to what is approaching from the left, but your descending a hill approaching the intersection, which makes you want to blow through it.  But you've also got a bunch of parked cars along Barnard directly after turning right at that intersection, and somebody could get doored.

If Grace Street is in good shape, I think it'll be safer, but they will also have to be careful re-entering Barnard at the end of Grace -- they may need a spotter there full time.

I disagree. Ray, Peggy, Nelson & myself have already Grace street. We all favor Barnard street. To begin with, Grace is easy to miss as you're quickly descending on 144 into town, & there's not much room to make that turn. #2-Grace street has several speed bumps with reflective tape(which can become slippery in the evening/morning dew/rain), #3, Grace St dead-ends into Barnard. That intersection involves looking left to Barnard for on coming traffic. It's essential a blind corner.  

In addition, you have several drive-ways on Grace street. You would essential be restricting vehicle traffic on Grace street from Thursday to late Saturday evening. Glen Rose is not going to want to do that ,& if I lived on Grace street, I would want to dodge cyclists for 3 days as I pulled in/out of my driveway. So you have to stop at the flashing light. All participants would have to stop there too. So no one would have an advantage.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print