Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 9:15am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Marko Polo Populaire (Read 609 times)
AustinSkater

Marko Polo Populaire
Aug 17th, 2009, 9:30am

Shellene and I rode the Marko Polo Populaire yesterday, it was a very mixed group of riders, including 5 riders who were new to Randonneuring, and had never seen a recumbent in action.  There were 4 tandems riding (including Val and Robin on their new tandem), so we were slightly outnumbered - but not outclassed Smiley

During the first section, Shellene and I mainly rode with the 3 new DF bikes, taking time to answer their questions about our bikes.

As Shellene rolled away from everyone on the Wiley rollers:

Q:  How is it you are so fast?
A:  It's the engines.

I then explained that we are far more aero than a DF, so we build up speed better, and don't lose it as fast on the following climb.  I didn't point out that Shellene lives right by those hills, and rides them quite often.

The 3 DFs decided that they were going to stick together, and Shellene wanted to keep pushing her legs, so we rolled out of Caddo Mills first, with 3 of the 4 tandems (and Gary G) right on our heels.  Jeff Elmer and Mark M. were taking it easy today, so we weren't worried about the new guys.  We should have been.

We left Princeton as a small group, were Gary/Sandy were explaining to the new tandem (up from Austin) about how the recumbents are more efficient individually than a tandem, which is why Shellene and I are so fast.  Shortly thereafter we found one of the 3 DF riders, he had missed Princeton!  Instead of heading back to the control, the other tandem gave him two spare bottles, since he was empty.  At this point the group split up, with Gary G, Val/Robin rolling off the front, Gary/Sandy stayed with the other tandem while Shellene and I made sure that the DF was going to make it.  He drained both of the full bottles in about 10 miles, and took one off of my bike.  Once we got to Allen, he stopped at a CVS to get more liquids, so Shellene and I finished together, behind Gary G and Val/Robin.  We passed Gary/Sandy (without noticing) while they were checking directions, and the other tandem missed them as well, and rolled off the course.

The DF rider (I'm bad with names) finished his first century, and wasn't that bad off, after a while the missing tandem rolled it.  A good day on the bike, 11.5 Big Macs for the day.

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
sstexex

rbent member

Re: Marko Polo Populaire
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2009, 7:27pm

Did you guys happen to go through Nevada? I saw 3 recumbents and 1 df on Hwy 6 Sunday at about 1pm. I just wondered who it was.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2009, 8:42pm

shush!  Quit giving away our secrets or everyone will want a bent!!!!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2009, 9:01pm

Quote from sstexex on Aug 17th, 2009, 7:27pm:
Did you guys happen to go through Nevada? I saw 3 recumbents and 1 df on Hwy 6 Sunday at about 1pm. I just wondered who it was.

Nope, that wasn't us.  We saw them rolling into Caddo Mills as we rolled out.

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print